Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11

    York Freeriders Unite

    I am interested in organizing weekly shuttle ride trips starting this spring. The main location will be Frederick county, an hour and fifteen minute ride. I have plans to go to Diablo at least twice, Ski Denton once, Seven Springs once, as well as other underground local spots. We would meet Saturday mornings at a local bike shop and spend a good part of the day on the trails. Please let me know if your interested.

  2. #2
    AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Reputation: gop427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by stobber
    I am interested in organizing weekly shuttle ride trips starting this spring. The main location will be Frederick county, an hour and fifteen minute ride. I have plans to go to Diablo at least twice, Ski Denton once, Seven Springs once, as well as other underground local spots. We would meet Saturday mornings at a local bike shop and spend a good part of the day on the trails. Please let me know if your interested.
    Fo' shizzle my bizzle! THere are a handful of us here in lancaster. I own a 1-ton chev passenger van too. Who wants free candy!?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11
    thank god. between your van and my silverado we should be able to haul a group of ten or more around. My truck fits 12 long travel rigs and 4 other humans. How's the scene in Lancaster?

  4. #4
    AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Reputation: gop427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by stobber
    thank god. between your van and my silverado we should be able to haul a group of ten or more around. My truck fits 12 long travel rigs and 4 other humans. How's the scene in Lancaster?
    Funny you should ask. Thursday night some of us were out for an urban ride, and I made the decision to make a Lancaster ONLY video, it would have urban riding and some(very little) XC and some frisky AM riding in Lancaster County Park. There are some cool drops in county park. But I want this video to be in lancaster city limits only. When we want to do some "freeriding" we go to Gretna, Rocky Ridge(which, quite frankly doen't really require anything more than an AM bike for the little drops there), or up to Reading. I've got a Kingfisher and a Yakuza HT with a sherman 170 on the front for FR, and Chris has a Bottlerocket and an Imperial for FR. THere are some other guys though. We have a heart for anything cycling related and would be up for some of these adventures. There is nothing too outrageous is Lancaster County, and I am an automechanic that has mortgage payments to make so sometimes I mangina out on some stuff. I busted my arm real bad in april of 2007 at Rock R and I am STILL not right, I was useless as a mechanic for almost a month. can't straighten my right arm and it is weak and still gets flaky at times. But, I am def in for driving and checking out some new places and meeting some new riders.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11
    I ride an sx trail but am getting another p1 here soon. I moved back here from MD last year. I love riding anything too but I'm most comfortable on downhill/freeride trails. Frederick offers ladders and drops from 3ft to 12ft. Once I get my park bike back I'll have to check out York and Lancaster more. Rocky Ridge is where I spend most of my time. I'll let you know when I organize these trips. I just need to find some interest. It's always more fun in a group.

  6. #6
    AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Reputation: gop427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    777
    There is an interest, trust me. Keep me informed, I would apreciate it. By the way, check your PM's.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    66
    I'd be down, I live in Lancaster and we have a little skills area at Chickies.
    We've made trips to Wysp and Diablo this past summer and know Reading fairly well. I ride a Versus Blitz. Drop me a P.M. or post up when your getting ready to start these trips. I have always wanted to ride the shed if that's where you're talking about in Frederick.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    I busted my arm real bad in april of 2007 at Rock R and I am STILL not right, I was useless as a mechanic for almost a month. can't straighten my right arm and it is weak and still gets flaky at times.
    Where at RR did you go down. I broke a finger on trail 3, and cracked a rib on 9 the last two years. The finger still hurts when squeezed on pressure is put on it. Never had it set, just let heal on its own (didn't have insurance).

    I'd be up for "frisky" AM riding with a group. I have a Covert so I can't hit any of the downhill stuff, but any drops in the 3-5 foot range are game riding w/ others. Most local group rides are xc oriented and shy away from drops.

    Here is one drop at Rocky Ridge if anybody is wondering what may be available there. The first pic is from on top of the rock looking at the runout, the second looking back from the landing area to the rock and the entrance. About a 4 1/2 footer to the landing.



    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

  9. #9
    Killer of Chains
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,798
    Doesn't appear to be a trail there...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    Doesn't appear to be a trail there...
    There is one, just not much of one. Most of the rocks for drops at RR are off to the sides of the main trails, you have to keep your eyes out for some of them. This one has a short trail leading to it and back then to the main trail. In the bottom pic the trail swings in from the upper left. In the top pic it runs straight out. It is hard to see with the leaves down.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

  11. #11
    my church is the woods
    Reputation: moonraker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    962
    I'm interested in maybe jumping on your mountain shuttle to Diablo or Plattekill this summer. I'm in Lebanon, so it would be easy to hop on the wagon around I-78/81 split.

    Also, if you want to check out Gretna or pumping station/camp mack areas, let me know some saturday and I'll give you a tour of our spots. I'm only 20 minutes of pedaling away from both areas.

    Dox



    An old pic of me somewhere at Gretna.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11
    gotcha moonraker. I'll be in touch.

  13. #13
    AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Reputation: gop427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    777
    Yeah, I know that spot. Good little adjacent trail! I like that drop at the bottom, the one that you have to ride up an angled flatstone, and then it is a decline to the drop off the of the rock. Do you know of the behemoth I am speaking of? Large, rectangular rock with a downward slope at the dropoff point?

  14. #14
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    344
    I live in Lancaster city, but grew up in Mt. Gretna. I ride all these locations that everyone is talking about. Hit me up when there's riding...

    gop427, is this the rock you are talking about? This is just after the rock in Moonrakers photo.


  15. #15
    AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Reputation: gop427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    777
    No, Todd, I don't know that rock. Looks awesome though, would love to see it. I was actually responding to the other guy's pics from Rocky Ridge, something got screwed up obviously.

  16. #16
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    No, Todd, I don't know that rock. Looks awesome though, would love to see it. I was actually responding to the other guy's pics from Rocky Ridge, something got screwed up obviously.
    No worries. I'd love to show you. Should prob wait till it gets a little dry. The run out on that one is a little sketchy when it's wet. Got a whole bunch of other cool stunts all around Gretna if you're interested...

  17. #17
    Killer of Chains
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,798
    I'd be interested, but do they require long travel bikes? I'm not so sure my 5inch Prophet could handle something too huge.

    I need to ride at Gretna more often.

  18. #18
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    344
    You could do it on a 5" bike if your smooth... Let me know when you want to check it out...

  19. #19
    AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Reputation: gop427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    I'd be interested, but do they require long travel bikes? I'm not so sure my 5inch Prophet could handle something too huge.

    I need to ride at Gretna more often.
    ****, I'd hit that on my HT, Todd is right, it all comes down to being smooth. Lets go up and check it, if you don't wanna hit that, there is tons of stuff up there that the prophet can comfortably hit repeatedly.

  20. #20
    Lockport Rippers
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    On your way to denton, stop in Lock Haven. We have some FR/DH runs around here.

    here is a link to an old post we had going.

    FR builders/riders in Central PA!!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11
    sounds good dufffster, do you have enough up there to make a day of it? We could just plan a trip.

  22. #22
    Lockport Rippers
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    The woodwork is all built behind my house, so we have a good morning session worth of riding there, there are a few jumps as well. And we have shuttle runs around the valley as well, so Yeah, I think we do have enough for a day.

    Plus we have a few crazy dirt jumps spots to check out, maybe not get the chance to ride depending on the bikes ya bring. But still cool to watch people ride.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11
    sounds good. The road trip is worth as much as the riding. Good times. I'll be in touch. Thanks.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    I was actually responding to the other guy's pics from Rocky Ridge, something got screwed up obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    Yeah, I know that spot. Good little adjacent trail! I like that drop at the bottom, the one that you have to ride up an angled flatstone, and then it is a decline to the drop off the of the rock. Do you know of the behemoth I am speaking of? Large, rectangular rock with a downward slope at the dropoff point?
    Been off the boards for the last couple days before tonight. No, don't know the one of which you speak, but I would like to. Is it down close to joining back up with trail 3. I have seen another side trail there that I never actually checked out. Drop a line next time you head to RR. I haven't been out for about 3 wks b/c of weather/work. Need to ride! I may be up there sometime this weekend if you see a blue Transisition.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    I live in Lancaster city, but grew up in Mt. Gretna. I ride all these locations that everyone is talking about. Hit me up when there's riding...

    gop427, is this the rock you are talking about? This is just after the rock in Moonrakers photo.


    Todd that looks like a beast from that angle. How high is that? I've never ridden at Gretna, but may have to check it out sometime.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •