mtbr member
    Jan 2003

Yellow Creek, a Gem in Western PA

Hey all;

Once again, I had the pleasure of riding at Yellow Creek today. What an absolute great ride, and a nice area. I grew up in Eastern PA. moved out to this area nearly 12 years ago....and I know there is a lot of great riding here, but I really really enjoy Yellow Creek. The Friends of Yellow Creek, and the LHORBA guys and gals built an awesome system here.

So bottom line is if you're headed to or through western PA. Do not overlook this place to ride. Pure Bliss on a bike.

I'll put up some links and what not.....check em out.

PA¬*DCNR¬*-¬*Yellow Creek State Park

http://www.lhorba.org/Yellow_Creek_Overview.pdf

P.S. the PDF loads a lil slow, but wait on it. There are new trails not marked on here either.

If you like XC riding, you will not be disappointed in this place. You can thank me later ;p
    Climbing Builds Character

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Vack,

Yes, I agree what a great place, even if I only get to hit it once a year, I always go there when visiting family out that way!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Looks good; thanks for the post. I've overlooked this place because it sounded like there were only about 12 miles total there. Any idea what the singletrack total is there now? (Site says 18, but it that seemed to refer to "casual riding" trails.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Looks good; thanks for the post. I've overlooked this place because it sounded like there were only about 12 miles total there. Any idea what the singletrack total is there now? (Site says 18, but it that seemed to refer to "casual riding" trails.)
    I would say 18-20 total. We rode it Sunday the guys did two extra sections And they had 20.

mtbr member
    hey vack, where do you live? i am from philly and will be moving to murrysville by the end of the year. i want to get to know the riding places on that end of the state.

thanks.
    2014 L Banshee Spitfire Black

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I live in Johnstown. Look up LHORBA when you get out here, or PORC. LHORBA is based in Cambria, Somerset, Bedford, Indiana counties. PORC is Pittsburgh.

There are a lot of different places to put a tire on out here.

When you get out here hit me up here, I'll ride anywhere anytime, as long as I'm not at work.

Dang and you have an EWR.....This guy is Jealous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Guswalls,

Boyce Park will be the closest (very close) everyday trail near you. White Oak is also close and a very under-rated park. Frick Park, is not too far from you and is the best place to ride within 20 minutes. Roaring Run is close to you as well. In the 1-hour range you have Laurel Mountains, which is my favorite place to ride. Lastly, there are some amazing places just a little further when you go into West Virginia. Those are just a few of the many places to ride out here. It's almost unfair the selection you will have. If you like mtn biking, you will love living out this way.

mtbr member
    thanks vack, the ewr will be up for sale soon. if you can fit an xl frame let me know.

@steelhmr: i've been lost in boyce when i couldn't make the porc ride and i've ridden frick once. they are nice parks. i was wondering how far yellow creek was and it sounds like an hour or so away. i really can't wait to get to allegrippis. are you on the porc site?
    2014 L Banshee Spitfire Black

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Everyone gets lost in Boyce. Once you ride it a few times you at least get a better feel for the general area you are in (wave pool loop, revolutionary war trails, soccer field loop, etc.). Again, there are trails within trails on all of those (which is why it gets so confusing).

Not sure the last time you rode Frick, but there have been a lot of improvements over the last 2 or 3 years. 3.5+ miles of new, very high quality single track, and half of that can be ridden in both directions. Crater trail and its offshoots will drop your jaw to the ground (hopefully not literally). My avg ride there is around 1,500' of climbing/descending in 1.5 hours.

I read the PORC site, but there isn't that much activity over there. There are other places to ride as well like Hartwood Acres, North Park, South Park, that are all within 30 minutes. Bavington is a little farther west, but also nice. The big places are still out east though. Seven Springs has an awesome XC race loop. I haven't been to Yellow Creek yet, but it's now on my radar. If you need someone to show you around Frick sometime, just send a PM. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Steelhmr you mentioned White Oak Park, is there riding trails there? I seen you mentioned there and that is a nice park, didn't realize there could be riding there, let me know whats out there . ? thanks All other places Boyce is one of my favorite places in Pgh. vicinity. Frick has really improved as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbenny1 View Post
    Steelhmr you mentioned White Oak Park, is there riding trails there? I seen you mentioned there and that is a nice park, didn't realize there could be riding there, let me know whats out there . ? thanks All other places Boyce is one of my favorite places in Pgh. vicinity. Frick has really improved as well.
    Here is a friend's White Oak ride: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Morning Ride near White Oak | Times and Records | Strava

Map: http://www.alleghenycounty.us/parks/maps/wowalk.pdf

FYI, the out & back trail (Kemp) that starts in E-7 and ends in C-6 is good. Also, try to find Kennywood trail that starts in G-5. Nice downhill with rollercoaster at bottom.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the information. Will go and check out the trails there soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I rode at Yellow Creek for the first time this weekend. This place is awesome! You get to ride a little bit of everything here. Hard to believe that much diverse terrain can fit into one park. The initial singletrack staring at the south shore and traversing clockwise is the pines section. Amazing flow, especially towards the end. Whoever designed the layout there should be congratulated. On the west end of the southern side you start getting into some switchback climbs leading to the soul sucker climb(s). Just when you thought it was a nice place to ride... Then coming down the descent towards the damn is a little rocky & steep with some off-camber turns. Crossing the spillway is a pain and I will be sure to bring extra sandles the next time go.

The northern section is completely different from the southern one. More climbing to start out with some serious roots & rocks. Just when you think you are in the clear, the last couple sections of trails are filled with rocks & rock gardens. It's about that time that you feel every foot of the 2000' that the loop provides (we just stayed on the main trails). I wish there was a way to avoid the trip onto 422. Has that been explored? Other than that, this place is fantastic and I will definitely be back (maybe even before the end of the year?). Worth the trip from Pittsburgh.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the info on White Oak.

My father-in-law lives right towards Route 30 from White Oak (like 3 mins by car, a few more by bike with the hills). My wife and I have "strolled" much of White Oak -- and the new playground is killer -- but I never felt like I saw places I'd really want to rip. With that track in hand, "in-law" visits should become much better events! (J/K, my father-in-laws is quirky, but a decent guy!).

Best,
    Mark