mtbr member
    Jun 2008

xc skiing in southeast pa.

Can anybody recommend a place to xc ski in the lehigh valley or within a 2 hr. drive of scranton that received some snow from sat. storm. How would the trails at french creek state park be for novice skiers or also at Lake Nockamixon. Thanks for any input

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    With this much snow you can back country ski any where you want,but the depth make it more difficult.give it a day and let others break trail.blue marsh,french creek and a great place near Reading.Nolde Park is awesome gets lots of skiers and has some steep hills.

those are Rollercams...
    26.7" in Philly, you could probably XC down Broad St. right about now.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by snacker
    Can anybody recommend a place to xc ski in the lehigh valley or within a 2 hr. drive of scranton
    if your in scranton you have some great snow just minutes away. you need to be asking those questions on a ski forum though to get the right answers.

i just responded to another thread. see below for some surprisingly great conditions just15 minutes from scranton.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...86472#poststop
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Did you ever have ham?

xc skiing in southeast pa

Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    if your in scranton you have some great snow just minutes away. you need to be asking those questions on a ski forum though to get the right answers.

i just responded to another thread. see below for some surprisingly great conditions just15 minutes from scranton.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...86472#poststop
    You should just mount the skis to the front of the bike and fab up a good old paddle tire for the rear!!! LOL!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Blue Marsh is great for BC skiing. The trails are wide, hilly, plentiful, and not very rocky. And you don't have to stay on the trails. The farm fields and lake perimeter are generally all skiable. That's 30+ miles of trail and many times more than that of off-trail skiing. I made several miles of tracks after last weekend's storm, but they're gone. I started again today, but it's really tough going. I'll keep at it for the next 4 days, then it's back to work.

French Creek State Park needs twice as much snow to be skiable, since it's rockier.

I haven't tried Mt. Penn yet on my skis, but I'm thinking a shuttle for downhill might be the way to go. The rocky downhills are probably only skiable once every 10 years or so.

Can't feel my legs
    High Point XC Center has great groomed trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    In Berks: Besides Blue Marsh, FC, and MT. Penn , Nolde Forest is also great.
    Many miles of trails packed into a small chunck of land. It also has great scenery and is a nice change from the local MTB trails because it is closed to biking. With this much snow it's possible to go off track and tele down some pretty steep hills there.

Wyomissing park is also good for easy kick & glide. The trails open up there quickly from skiiers, snowshoers, and walkers.

The State Game Lands between Hamburg and Hawk Mt. are also good. Many of the trails there get packed by snowmobiles and don't need to be broken.

With this much snow I believe that we wont be back on the bikes for at least 4 weeks, maybe longer.

XC Skiing is the answer!
    Last edited by bbohr; 02-13-2010 at 06:54 AM.
    Video Production for Energy & The Environment
    www.levelaproductions.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    As of yesterday:

Blue Marsh - I've cut a few miles of tracks in, starting from the Visitor Center and Dry Brooks Day Use Area. It's very slow going where there's no tracks.

Nolde Forest - Pretty well-tracked already.

Tulpehocken Creek trail - Very flat, but scenic. I didn't ski it, but I saw tracks when I drove by. (in both directions from Reber's Bridge Rd.)

I'll be extending my Blue Marsh tracks the next couple of days. If anyone wants to join we can take turns leading and make trail-breaking a much easier task. I'd like to get out to Rt. 183. There's some good hills between the Day Use Area and Rt.183.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Update:

Blue Marsh is now tracked and packed from the Visitor Center to Rt. 183. That's a great 3-4 hr. round trip, and includes some challenging hills. Hiking boot post-holes only extend about 100 yards from the trail head. The rest is still pristine; just my tracks, and plenty of powder left for turns on the downhills.

Tulpehocken Creek Trail from Covered Bridge to Reber's Bridge is very nice, if you like flat and easy. I talked to some folks who went from the Covered Bridge to Gring's Mill, and they said it was very nice also.

Nolde was well-tracked a couple days ago, and I'm sure it's even better now.

Where else have people been skiing?