Thread: XC races in Pa

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

XC races in Pa

Are there any? I'm feeling pretty good these days and wouldn't mind giving it a go this year.
    I've been out of that scene for a long time in fact the last race I did was the Kettle Creek Classic. It was so long ago that I'm now in the age bracket my dad was in at that time. So any how, I feel like giving it a whirl with the old geezers and seeing what I've got.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Try a google for:

"Mid Atlantic Super Series"

"Coal Cracker Classic"

as well as "H2H" outside PA a bit.

"Race the Wilds" Northern Pa

"Michaux" Southern Pa

Our "Race da Rocks" at Hunlock's is coming up later this summer. Details to follow.

Stewart SF over the border in NY has the Singlespeed Palozza and the Darkhorse 40

You could also try "bikereg" for more
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 01-14-2013 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Check out the MASS Series:
    The Mid-Atlantic Super Series

mtbr member
    Laurel classic in Asaph (near Wellsboro) is another. Great course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks, some of those are a bit far from home but looks like a few might be doable.

mtbr member
    Do they still race at Potato City, PA?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusthevyrus View Post
    Do they still race at Potato City, PA?
    Sadly "NO"

God's county MTB Race hasn't been run in years. It was moved from Potato city to Lyman Run SP that was half way on the course, thus starting at one of the big climbs rather than the downhill from Potato City. I can remember doing that 25 mile race back in the 1980s on my rigid 26er, 18 speed, canti braked, non indexed shifting, all steel MTB in November and it was sleeting.

Ah, the good ole days!

mtbr member
    The Start- first time I ever got that much air- 4 abreast on the trail- riding a bike not unlike yours- and 70-some thank-you-mams to go.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I hear ya...

...the start was a 3 mile outta control downhill. I remember no classes, just 500 plus riders all going downhill for first place. Remember back then downhill mt biking was all about flying down service roads. I guess due to no suspension it was all we could do "Kamikaze style"...LOL You really brought back memories, man I wish they still had that race!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

God's Country

I was one of the organizers for that race for 3 years before we turned it over to a full time race organizer. The first race was 1991. I remember a bunch of kids riding wheelies in the parking lot before the race, later to find out one of them was Floyd Landis. The next year he came back and won it, riding wheelies on the downhills. The race was run 100% on wider ATV trails, the single track in the area is for hikers only. It was a lot of fun to catch air on the large water bar jumps on that course, and ride through the water crossing.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I can't remember the last year I raced it. I guess it was the last year it was held though 1999? I remember driving out 4 hours on a Friday night to Lyman Run SP after work, getting there at midnight, camping in the 20 degree weather, waking up at 6AM. Raced, then drove home and raced the Tamaqua race the next day! I guess I'm addicted to this stuff!

Great to hear the Landis story, I remember guys talking about him. I always wished we could have raced on the Susquehannock trail system!

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    Michaux races are great as well as the Laurel Classic, definitely worth the drives.

The Bulldog Rump in Kittatinny NJ is a well organized race and great course just be careful of those rocks cause they are sharp!

Bear Creek races are fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    not to hijack the thread, but saw references to 90's racing in PA and wondered if anyone remembers or raced in the Precision Sports time trials held at Blue Marsh Lake? Or the Burma Road races in Schuylkill County? Knobs & Waffles races?

Some of these races (Burma Road) were around and sadly discontinued before the internet explosion. Most of the race info was on a simple flyer printed on colored paper. cheap entry fees, very down home feel. Each race seemed like a family reunion rather then a competitive event.

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    Speaking of 90s races,does anyone have photos, videos or anything from races in the poconos especially the tanglewoood ski area races?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Don't forget the Month of Mud! It'll be around Pittsburgh, around September. Around mud.

If anyone else races within ~100 miles of Pittsburgh, I'd love to hear of them... I'm aware of the serieseseses above.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Check out the Rothrock trailMix in state college on June 8th . Happy Valley Biking, LLC

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    After checking with other race folks in Pittsburgh, it looks like there just aren't many Spring race serieseseses within an hour even, despite the potential sites. Here are others, within striking distance of W PA:

2013 Race Schedule

Month of Mud
    check back later in the summer for updated 2013 schedule

Series Info - Yellow Creek Grassroots Racing
    Home | BIKE THE WILDS 2013
    Latest OMBC News on OMBC
    ABRA Racing - Home

mtbr member
    Anyone have anymore info on the Michaux Maximus? I just got talked into coming up from the DC/B'more area...found the registration and a map but nothing else, course description wise or anything...

mtbr member
    Maximus is my fav of any of the PA courses. I've been racing for years west coast and east coast and the Maximus/Dark Hollow/Teaberry (all the gettysburgs) are they ones that have kicked my butt bigtime. That said, I have also come back and won them but it took a couple seasons to get to that level. Lots of rocks, lots of long climbs and downhill singletracks to make your hands doubt themselves The hard core do the 35 mile loop on single speed rigid, but 10 or 20 mile is long enough for me. Make sure to use a camelback because I almost heat-stroked once from losing my bottles early on(coming from west coast at that point) and not having any other hydration on a 90+ deg day. Tires a little hard is better than soft. Not much thorn but a lot of rock edges.

On another note, has anyone heard of the Marysville Race festival (Oesterling Farm, Marysville pa) being held this year? I always liked it around the end of June but didn't see it in any lists this year.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Great, thanks for the info supersedona!

The White Jeff W

Re: XC races in Pa

There's a 6 hr race at Bradys Run Park a week from Sunday. BRP is on the Month of Mud schedule

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/17889
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 04-25-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm signing up for the Rothrock trail mix, seems like a good way to spend my 42nd birthday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    We just per rode the trail mix long course on Saturday, man what an epic ride. It is truley a must do race/ride. Best thing is the proceeds go to build and maintain more MTB trail.