mtbr member

Wyoming Valley Mountain Bike Assoc. Joins IMBA

As of yesterday the Wyoming Valley Mountain Bike Association has joined and is now recognized as an IMBA affiliate group. Chris and I have been kicking this idea around since we talked to Frank Maguier back in December.

Since WVMTBA works so closely within the framework & guidelines of DCNR and the state park system, mainly Frances Slocum, we feel it can only benefit what the group is trying to do. Many people have encouraged us to take this step and said having the IMBA tag alongside your group greatly adds credibility to what you are doing. I know when Chris & I met with Rex Brandish, Park Manager at FS back in January, he was very receptive to the idea, so we all see it as a great move for everyone.

Also, those that visit the WVMTBA website...I know, I know..it was a spam filled haven, esp that shoutbox. Well...thanks to "Bear" here we have that beat. The site loads directly to the forum now and that has been updated. Once a new member makes a first post and we see they aren't that one guy from India that has been driving us nuts by posting spam all the time, we'll automatically take the restrictions off of you and you're free to post.

Most of our groups activities will be posted on the WVMTBA site and we will use this post here just to alert anyone of the groups activities. No need posting all over the place when you have your own forum.

Frances Slocum's first official ride of the 2010 is Tuesday April 6th, meeting at the Carverton Road access at around 6. Same level as last year, Beginners, expert and "hammer" groups. The CDH at P-Town has already kicked off on Friday's...more info on that and the new trails next to Slocum on the website!

Kevin
    WVMTBA

http://forums.wvmtba.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey guys, congrats -- that is great! I was thinking about this kind of stuff after a phenomenal ride and meeting Jim Ireland of the Delaware Trail Spinners. He is the trail boss at White Clay, Iron Hill and Fair Hill and has does and lot for and has done a ton with IMBA to really put these phenomenal trail systems on the map. Great guy, and most interesting is the data aquisition/trail user counter things that they put on the bridges. Real time data that they use with the state and county gov'ments to show the good that they are doing. A ton of great people involved down there, and SICK flowy trails!

It really is a great and evolving time in mountain biking with the manner in which things are becoming mainstream. In our little neck of the woods, so much good is happening. Zach Adams has brought the US High School Cycling League to PA, legendary BMX trail Catty Woods (www.pawoods.com) and Posh have become legit getting insurance while working with and proving to the communities that they are a resource and not a detriment (and will not get plowed). I was just at Hubbard two weeks ago -- what an unbelieveable scene they have with great trails and such a cool group of diverse riders and mindsets -- great stuff John. Then I rode the Downingtown Speed Ride with the Beans Bikes crew the following week -- incredible trails there, as well as March Creek, with a ton of great people riding and doing the work, and a positively bad ass elite Wed Night World Champioships race, every week from Victory Brew Pub.

Down here in the Lehigh Valley, the Valley Mountain Bikers (www.bikevmb.com) have been doing so much that it is too much to list, but most interestingly the Prez Doug and company did a walk through at the Salisbury Trail System this wknd. with the township leaders. Salisbury was a tract of land that was pretty sketchy which VMb fought to have access to. For years people where afraid to go through there -- now it is a community gem with about 13 miles of incredible singletrack where you'll see hikers, bikers, dog walkers, high school cross country running teams, bird watchers etc. from all over the mid-Atlantic. During the walk through, this is what the township folks saw and they were amazed at what a community resource this place has become, so much so that it is the terminus of the big new rail trail that is being put through town (that will eventually stretch from Bethlehem to Quakertown!). Unfortunately some jack ass in a 4X4 got in and really did some damage this winter, and motos and quads still continue to tear up and degrade the trail system at times. Always someone willing to ruin the good work of others.

Sorry to rant, but as a cyclist and a business co-owner, you can say I am passionate. VMB is my local club, and they are so involved and into promoting and access and getting people out riding -- they really inspire me. That is just my locale, and every scene has this, just like you guys. Tapping into a bunch of great local scenes here in eastern PA the last few weeks as the season has returned just re-energized me on the totally wicked riding scene we have in the Mid-Atlantic. It is positive, people really care, and the riding is amazing. And that is just PA. I cannot wait until the racing/travelling season starts again.t week!

Oh **** -- it starts next week!

Congrats on getting hitched with IMBA and recognized for all the good work you are doing up there. Many more good things to come your way and more people out riding with bigger toothy smiles after the rides! I hope to ride Slocum with you guys in my travels this summer.

Jay de Jesus
    EWR Bikes, LLC.

mtbr member
    Wow...Thanks Jay...and coming from you is like basically saying we did the right thing here. I think Frank is headed up here in June to meet with our group and really get the ball rolling.

Once again, Thank You...Good luck in both the racing and the bike building!!

mtbr member
    That's great news Kevin and Chris!

FWIW, Jenny got IMBA to come up to the Moosic Mountain Preserve in September. I'll be posting more about it as the season goes on and the days get closer. Jay, maybe we can get some of the guys from the VMB up here? Camp at the Barn, night ride, drink soda pop (yeah right!) and build trails? I was supposed to go to there trail care day last year when IMBA showed up, but unfortunately I forgot that it was "Today"... Anyway. Good job guys and keep up the great work.

Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Oops, by the way, forgot to mention the other great advocacy and trail building group that does so much -- the Philadelphia MTB Assoc. (www.phillymtb.org). If you've ever ridden the Wissahickon or Belmont Plateau, you should thank those guys for keeping it in good shape and keeping the peace with all the other user groups. Their annual Rally in the Valley to benefit the Wiss is on Sat. April 17th. Great trails and a great event.

If you think about it, we've got a great cycling community here with a lot of positive actions and policies going on. How lucky we all are.

Can't wait to check out all of your trails and show you around Bethlehem!

mtbr member
    Hey Fahn...Stine is headed up to Hubbard on Thursday I believe so maybe bend his ear a bit on some of those ideas.

Jay, I've ridden Wiss but only saw a fraction of what was there but burned thru Belmont on the Paramount a number of times (the road that is) For an area that is so jam packed with people with so many different agenda's....it's nice to see a group keep everyone together for the enjoyment of all in a positive, great way.

Once again...Thanks all for the props and support!

Kevin

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Jay and Larry

Tons of thanks and for the all the support.

Jay, I ridden Salisbury with you twice and I love that trail system been wanting to get there again. BUT when it is warm. LOL. The last two times i rode with you there it was super cold. The Delaware Trail Spinners trails I only rode there trails during races and they are Awesome. I'll be seeing you at the Fairhill race and some more ride during the summer and maybe the CDH one of these Friday nights.

Larry, You did a great job at Moosic Mtn. I am amazed on the tons of hours you put up there and it shows. I rode there this past fall and had a blast. Yep I'll be hitting Hubbard on Thurday.

We are still a growing group. It might be slow going at times but it better to have a strong foundation with a small house than a huge house with a weak foundation that could crumble at anytime.

Thanks again
    Chris Stine
    WVMTBA
    Wyoming Valley Mountain Bike Association
    www.wvmtba.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Check your Facebook mail later everyone -- I will attempt to introduce all of the Club Prez's together -- too much good stuff developing, and everyone should be on the same collective page.

mtbr member
    ^ definitly agree with that...Thanks once again Jay!
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

Wizard of the Trail
    Congrats guys!!
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.