Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Wyoming State Forest(eagles mere)

Any one interested in guiding two guys on an epic ride in Wyoming State Forest(Eagles Mere) on 8/17/08?
    Last edited by iamrocketman; 08-07-2008 at 06:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I took the advice of the last entry on the trail review. I started at Sones Pond. Parked there because there are people fishing there so I feel safer leaving my car there. Took Loyalsock Trail west to World's End state park. That is a fun ride. It was on a Saturday and there were only about 4 groups of hikers the whole way. I took rt 154 back (I don't like backtracking) for a total of about 3 hours round trip. If you do this, and you are not going to take rt 154 back, don't descend all the way to World's End Park as it will be quite a hike back up carrying your bike.

They give out maps of the state forest at the State Park office. You have to ask for them as they are not on display with the other maps. I want to find out where "gate 7 trail" is, but cannot find it on the map.

Disclaimer: this trail is maintained for hikers and some parts of it can be dangerous. I never did find out if bikes are allowed on that trail...I did not see any other bike tracks.

ganginwood
    this has always been an anomalous area. the riding here seems to have disappeared. this place boasts top shelf conditions that offers big woods riding, yet the founding fathers are no longer around. the guy you're looking for is craig shambaugh. but i don't know his whereabouts. find him and you've located the shagri la of trail systems. i too am very interested in this location since its only a few miles from my house. when craig ran the bike shop he had a web site with the biking trails listed on them. the pics were phenom. a good friend rode with craig when the operation was still going on. he confirmed the conditions in wyoming state forest. i don't know craig personally but i have his email. i'll shoot him a line and see what happens. as stated earlier, i have strong curiosities regarding this place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would like to find out more about this area as well. Im from Muncy but I would for sure come up a couple of times a week to ride. To bad we couldnt get a few of us to start building back some of the great riding that was once there. If someone is interested please email me!!! Riding around here has seemed to faded into the past. luv2mountainbike@yahoo.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Seems like a common problem with the Eagles Mere area, The potential is huge, but the trails seem shrowded in mystery, so is the question of what trails allow Mt. bikers. I tried these trails a few years back when Craig kinda got shut down as I recall. Always went away with the feeling that I missed out on the best of what was there. Keep this thread going and try and pass along as much info as possible.

RIDE,REST,REPEAT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You said you have missed out. Are you no longer living in the area? Ive heard alot about this Craig guy. I wonder what went wrong? Its hard to believe that with all of the public land around here that there isnt some sort of mountain bike club. The closet one I have heard of is up in state college. My brother in law is pretty big down in Tennessee with the NETMBA. Im sure if we could find enough people that was into it, he could head us into the right direction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    what I missed out on was someone showing me some decent trails, the stuff I rode by myself was ok but I new I was only touching the tip of the iceburg, I'm still in the area but live about 45 minutes away,
    I'm sure you can get a group going but I think, "what went wrong", with what Craig was doing was he went public with the trails he was riding but found out later the trails were "off limits" to Mt. bikers. so obviously you either ride the trails that are legal, or keep the whole thing quiet and ride any trail you want. I've been riding for more than 10 years now and know the damage Mt. bikers do to trails is minor.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

You've all hit on the key ------ "CRAIG"

Well. Craig's gone... kinda like the JT thing --- Dave's gone no more MTBW at JT

Until someone steps up and organizes the rides, trails, and plans it will remain a
    "secret"
    although not a bad thing

So what to do? Nearest bike shop? WOW -- Montoursville, Milton, Williamsport? Form local club? Doesn't seem to be any locals there who ride. SOOL on that.

It's really disconnected and your not supposed to be on the Loyalsock trail with MTBs but hey!

Shame Eagles Mere does do any thing with their trails in the summer. Try calling them? Try contacting the Wyoming State Forest office? Prolly get the "It's not in our 3 year plan right now" The new loop hole for the MAN?

Anyone? Anyone? Huffsmith you listening? National motorcycle trials soon? Nice property there ya got.

All I got
    -- going rid'in!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The problem isnt that there is no people around here to ride. The problem is everyone has there own little riding groups and no one wants to help another out. Case in point I was up at a bike shop in South Williamsport and talked to a really nice older fellow whose son organizes group rides. He gave me a number to call his son. Well after many calls and finally a he will call you back I got nothing. I went to the Cat Classic mountain bike race in hopes of meeting some locals, tried to talk to some and got shrugged off. I made out best by talking to people up in State college. Problem is thats almost a 2 hour drive. So I ask whats wrong with people around here???? I can hold my own on the trails. Why are people so scared to make new friends. We have the manpower around here to do this. Yeah its nots gonna be done overnight, but what has??? Not mountain biking and what it has become today. Eagles mere needs something like this to bring more people to the area. Mt. P your right. The problem isnt with us destroying the trails anyone knows now that isnt the case. I think its just the pure laziness that goes with politics. Hey If I made that kind of money to sit around on my a** I probably wouldnt want to do anything to help make better parks either...........

HopHeads, Unite!
    Craig's around...but in down in Harrisburg. There's more to the story to what happened up there. Unfortunate, mostly. It had great potential and Craig put in some great trails while he was up there. Bet you could still find them. And not even touch the Loyalsock.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by luv2mountainbike
    The problem isnt that there is no people around here to ride. The problem is everyone has there own little riding groups and no one wants to help another out. Case in point I was up at a bike shop in South Williamsport and talked to a really nice older fellow whose son organizes group rides. He gave me a number to call his son. Well after many calls and finally a he will call you back I got nothing. I went to the Cat Classic mountain bike race in hopes of meeting some locals, tried to talk to some and got shrugged off. I made out best by talking to people up in State college. Problem is thats almost a 2 hour drive. So I ask whats wrong with people around here???? I can hold my own on the trails. Why are people so scared to make new friends. We have the manpower around here to do this. Yeah its nots gonna be done overnight, but what has??? Not mountain biking and what it has become today. Eagles mere needs something like this to bring more people to the area. Mt. P your right. The problem isnt with us destroying the trails anyone knows now that isnt the case. I think its just the pure laziness that goes with politics. Hey If I made that kind of money to sit around on my a** I probably wouldn't want to do anything to help make better parks either...........
    My advice to you is ignore all the background noise and keep trying to organize your group! It will happen! Cause usually people wait till someone steps up and does it for them - not a bad thing some people just wanna be led around!

You have to look at the "main blessing" you have a "huge place to ride" It's the easier part to get a bunch together than it is to find or access land and place to ride!

I have to stick up for the Park managers, land manager and park staff through my own experiences. They get paid for doing all the paperwork, reports, and taking care of swimming pools, camping and other park offering we all enjoy when we visit a park! Most of them don't Mt bike, so they are not in tune as to how that works! Yes, they sit at their desk and run the park, it's what they get paid for and bagging on them gets you no where! Work with them and offer help cause they don't have it their budget to allow for staff to Mt bike and make trails.First get a SF map http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...alsockmap.aspx and look for loops using the dirt roads since they are already open to mt bike travel in the forest then show the PM and ask if you can use some of the existing trails to connect! Expand on that with him.Offer to help maintain what you use even if you just spend a few hours raking picking up dead fall or raking! Right now it's gonna sound like you have to do it all and you do, but advertise a clean up or workday and people will come out to help. I'm sure the PM will help with that. It's "part" of his job to get people into the park!

I see you have the passion! You screen name even implies it. You want something to happen in your area so you have the drive! Ask Mt Pulaski he knows! It's people like him who make it go! He emails people and invites them on his rides! It's really simple the way you find people is through people same with rides! He's at every workday(including working in pouring rain) and does fantastic work with us and others to help make the riding great! It just takes a bit of dedication.

Start by stopping by the park office and talking with the park manager, tell him you as a force of "one" wanna ride his park! If you show the PM that he has a secondary support system he will be more than likely open doors for you!

I gotta shut up now.. LOL! G - luck - Let me know when we are invited to come ride with ya!

HopHeads, Unite!
    In addition to the above, you'll have to make contact with the State Forest folk as well. World's End SP is surrounded by State Forest but they have little/no say in how it is managed. They take care of the Park and Forestry takes care of the surrounding State Forest. Those are the guys you really need to make contact with and create a good working relationship with.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...loyalsock.aspx

Loyalsock State Forest surrounds Worlds End State Park.

It might be rough row to hoe at first, but the terrain up there is amazing stuff. Absolutely try to get something going again.

Good luck!
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    I usually make it out there once a year although this year our trip got kabashed by some **** so didn't make it. Iwas all excited to do the 7 streams - been riding it and doing a little maintainance for the past3-4 years. I also was going to try some of the other route in the griz guide book. Some more info can also be found in this trhread froma few years back riding in wyoming/bradford/sullivan counties it's definatley a great area that never reached its full potential
    without hops the world stops

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Mbike, I looked at that thread and pulled out these two maps of the area, maybe they can be of some use to someone. NEPMTBA maybe we can road trip up, it is a beautiful area.
    luv2mountainbike keep at it, maybe you can be the NEW Craig LOL

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...lesmeremap.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...orldsend02.jpg

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by mt.Pulaski
    Mbike, I looked at that thread and pulled out these two maps of the area, maybe they can be of some use to someone. NEPMTBA maybe we can road trip up, it is a beautiful area.
    luv2mountainbike keep at it, maybe you can be the NEW Craig LOL

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...lesmeremap.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...orldsend02.jpg
    Road Trip, but I need a free weekend! Races, Velo Swap, Moosic Mt. Day, Greenway summit, Rides...Yikes!

Ya, sounds like a plan though! October 18th or 19th works for me and it will give me time to work on connections as we have our Pa Greenway Trails Summit the last week of September. It's not our(NEPMTBA) area, but always willing to see if anyone in our newly formed Pa Mt Biking statewide group has info. I'm sure Loren will go with us. I have a few people I can email. Let's see if I can dig up some names or permissions. I would love to ride, but also get something done to make it better or at least get a official word.

Just read the map -- and it has a DCNR seal on it so at that time they considered recreational trails open to Mt Bikes. This is good news if they are on SF land as we were never kicked out of there, so I don't see it as a problem. SF can demand we ride designated bike trails, but as you all posted none exist! I think we can work on this. but it will take a local group to support it! It always goes back to that, even with IMBA they need a local effort to step up first!

Gonna email the expert!
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 09-17-2008 at 08:30 PM.

HopHeads, Unite!
    Hey, NEPMTBA--October 18 and 19 is the Fall PA Mtn Bike Summit, too, down in Michaux. Did you get the email?

Also, are those maps posted anywhere else? Photobucket wants me to "join" to view them. Email, maybe?

Thanks!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

No good

Well... SAD

Here's what I received from Park Manager as to my inquirery.

RE: Mt Biking in World's End SP or Loyalsock SF
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:37 AM
    "NR, Worlds End"
    Add sender to Contacts
    To:
    "'nepmtba@yahoo.com'"

Mt. biking is not allowed on our trails, you can only ride on the existing roads. Forestry is the same way.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:04 AM
    To: NR, Worlds End
    Subject: Mt Biking in World's End SP or Loyalsock SF

Hello Mr. Kocher:

My name is Lee Curry. I have been contacted by a few individuals who asked if mt biking is allowed in your park or the surrounding Loyalsock SF. I myself would like to visit in October and ride also. Our group NEPMTBA North Eastern Mt Biking Association maintains trails with Rex Bradish at Frances Slocum, and Alex Stout, Joe Tierney at Prompton and Lackawanna State Parks in our area as well as county parks Moon Lake and Seven Tubs.

Although it's a bit out of our area, if you had a local group would you be interested in opening trails or planning something? I would even be willing to help a local group learn as to our success in our area. Mt Biking is a huge group of recreational users in the state of Pa.and most groups help maintain trails also!

Thanks for your time
    Lee Curry
    NEPMTBA-PARTS

Lugboot:

Thanks for the reminder! Since no ridie at Loyalsock SF and I guess that weekend is to be spent at PAMTBS... Yee Haa!

Maps are here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ms+eagles+mere

HopHeads, Unite!
    Crap, I get a "Not Found" error when I click on that link.

If Loyalsock SF has red-blazed trails, they are multi-use per DCNR guidelines. Now, they might be all roads, but if there are red-blazed trails, that means horses, hikers, and bikers. Unless they are posted otherwise? State Parks have been notoriously stingy when it comes to biking trails and should be considered separately from any attempts to do anything with Forestry.

I can give you more background separately. I'll PM you.

mtbr member
    here's another map i got from craig - you can see the gate 7 trail penciled in. the trails in worlds end sp are definatley not biking trails and with the hiker traffic they get its understandable why the mgrs want to keep it that way. the real treasure is in the loyalsock sf anyway, those are the folks you need to talk to
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    without hops the world stops

HopHeads, Unite!
    That looks familiar. Shanerburg Run was a cool trail. Dang shame. Definitely a situation that would be nice to rectify.

Thanks for posting that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You guys are a great help. To bad theres not more of you around here. I talked to a couple of guys up there yesterday with no luck. I was coming home and out of the corner of my eye caught a glimpse of mountain bikes on the back of a car. I swung around and flashed them over. Maybe not the best idea but im pretty desperate. I asked them where there was places to ride. Their response was we just ride gravel roads mostly your not allowed to ride up here. Well sorry to say you dont normally have 4 and 5 inch dual suspension mountain bikes to ride on gravel roads and besides that noticing the mud build up in the cassette and grass hanging out of the derailleur I figured they were lying but who knows. Maybe they want to keep it secret for fear of being caught. Anyways I did meet up with a kid in south williamsport whose looking for a ride partner. Come to find out he and a buddy of his is going up to ski denton on Saturday and asked if I wanted to tag along. Wish I had more of a notice because I already made plans for that afternoon. Were gonna get together next weekend. Were are you guys from? I would take a trip down your way for a day or weekend ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    By the way sorry to offend you with the sitting on your butt thing. I do know that there are some pretty great PM's out there. For instance Warriors Path Trails down in Tennessee at Warriors Path State Park is a good example of PM's and mountain biking associations coming together. They have a great trail system down there that the NTMBA takes care of. Hats of to those guys and girls.

HopHeads, Unite!
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2mountainbike
    By the way sorry to offend you with the sitting on your butt thing. I do know that there are some pretty great PM's out there. For instance Warriors Path Trails down in Tennessee at Warriors Path State Park is a good example of PM's and mountain biking associations coming together. They have a great trail system down there that the NTMBA takes care of. Hats of to those guys and girls.
    SORBA is a force to reckoned with in the southeast. It's a great example of how well a regional mtn bike coalition can afffect things and, at least when I knew who was running the show, has a tremendous group of people that really care about the sport. It would be nice to get the puzzle pieces to fall into place the same way in PA.

You should try to get down to Lykens to ride, northern Dauphin county--check out these guys: Rattling Creek Singletrackers

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

luv2mountainbike:

You could hit Rt 118 and come mOOn Lake Park for a ride sometime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Moon Lake Park, I cant believe all of the times I went camping up at Rickets Glen and hiked the same boring falls trail when this place is a stone throw away. Its not to far from me. I can drive home from that distance while my legs are still throbbing from kicking the pedals all day. When do you guys ride it? I would be willing to come up and put in some work days on the weekends even. Thanks for letting me in on this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast