wot no bike?

Wissahickon weirdness

Yesterday I went out for a late-afternoon ride, and during an ascension on some of the doubletrack on the west side heading south I came across three of the most backwards, strung-out, jacked-up, trailer-esque people I have seen in a loooong time -- two men and a woman (in their late 40s to mid 50s) just sitting by the side of the trail on a log, all three feverishly smoking cigarettes and putting back Milwalkee's Best. These people looked *jacked*, with five teeth between them, the woman muttering something devoid of any meaning. I can't describe how strange the whole situation was, you would probably have to have been there to really "appreicate" it. Anyway as I passed them I started to think about all the weird sh1t I've seen in the Wissahickon over the years, and how it seems that there's *always* something every once-in-a-while. It also reminds me why I would never let my GF hike alone. So, does anyone have any good stories about things you've come across in the Wissahickon?

Freshly Fujified

Here's one

Yesterday, I was relaxing with my girlfirend and her brother, sitting on a log enjoying a smoke and a couple of cold brews after 36 hours of non-stop methamphetamine ingestion. Out of nowhere comes this guy on a mountain bike, and my girlfriend called out "Hello, mighty fine day for a ride isn't it"? Apparently, the rider didn't speak English as he just looked at us sideways and hammered the pedals like he was being chased by a ghost.

Just one of those things, I guess......

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

wot no bike?
    LMAO

-p

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    So, does anyone have any good stories about things you've come across in the Wissahickon?
    LOL @ Clyde's reply.

The only really 'strange' encounter I've ever had was, one day, riding past that little cave-like structure (on the Valley Green Inn side) out just before the trail dumps you onto the path near Lincoln Drive (by the little historical 'monument-y' type thing?). I was just riding by, when three young girls came sort of stumbling out of the darkness onto the trail - wide-eyed, smiling and laughing hysterically while rambling about some sort of 'magic' this or that and trying to get me to stop to talk to them.

The word 'mushroom' was never uttered, but I have a feeling there was some psilocybin involved in their cave-dwelling fun.

It might have been funny, if not for the fact that they appeared to be around 14 years old.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Freshly Fujified

Sorry.....

LMAO

-p
    Couldn't resist....
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It was like 4 years ago, came across a body. Some dead homeless guy. Other people had already seen him and called the cops. Freaky. In the mid 90's almost ran over another guy sleeping next to the trail. Scared the crap out of him. He scared the crap out of me.

wot no bike?
    Yikes, that probably tops them all, a body.

Years ago I was riding a trail that passes near one of the smaller bridges and, glancing under the bridge I noticed a man and a topless woman bathing under the bridge. Don't get all excited now, she was *disturbingly* unattractive. Likely a cousin of the folks I rode past yesterday, you know, Clyde and the crew.

-p

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I keep running across this guy at the top of the last hill on the opposite side of the inn. The dude rides an old Yeti FS and he's always smoking a doob.

I have seen "neighborhood" kids on ATV's on the upper trails.

Couple of years I got stuck in a parade on Forbidden Drive with 1000 people on horse in full Indian garb.

I did a couple of night rides back in the day and learned the hard way never to ride Forbidden Drive at Night. Too many shady types wandering around

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Last year i saw a jumper,
    he was dead on forbidden drive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I saw a car jacked up on blocks with no wheels running on the Inn side about 3 years ago.

-scoon

Fun-O-Meter
    Sep 2005
    I once came across a nude photo shoot. There was a naked woman and a photographer in one of the stream beds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rich.grandzol
    I once came across a nude photo shoot. There was a naked woman and a photographer in one of the stream beds.

I came across somthing like that at Blue Marsh once last year. I guy walking with a girl waring way too mutch makup to be hiking and just some spandex shorts and a sports bra. He was carying a blankit we were about 15miles in to the ride.

Freshly Fujified

Prolly my sister

Years ago I was riding a trail that passes near one of the smaller bridges and, glancing under the bridge I noticed a man and a topless woman bathing under the bridge. Don't get all excited now, she was *disturbingly* unattractive. Likely a cousin of the folks I rode past yesterday, you know, Clyde and the crew.

-p
    3 teef and tatoos of stretch marks on her boobs? That's her.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

The fence guy is interesting

You know, the guy who looks to be using the fence to help him stretch down by Lincoln. If you have ever seen him, you know who I'm talking about. He wears a bandana and puts towels on the rails of the fence. My crew and I always joke that he's stuck in the fence from trying to crawl through it.

It's no dead body or naked photo shoot, but it's definitely Wissy Weirdness.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JST169
    You know, the guy who looks to be using the fence to help him stretch down by Lincoln. If you have ever seen him, you know who I'm talking about. He wears a bandana and puts towels on the rails of the fence. My crew and I always joke that he's stuck in the fence from trying to crawl through it.

It's no dead body or naked photo shoot, but it's definitely Wissy Weirdness.

Jeremy
    Dude, I know exactly who you mean. What is up with that guy?

I got another one, but I am not sure if it qualifies as weird. A couple of years ago, I took part in the inaugural training session of the Delaware Valley Mountain Bike Patrol, at the Wiss, and the training was lead by the Ranger Corp.

And during the training, the Ranger told us that Devil's Pool is scary with all of the "neighborhood" folk who use it as a pool/ drinking spot that even they dont go down there.

I just thought it was kind of odd that the Rangers are scared of their own park, but then again, I dont think they are armed so I guess I cant really blame them.

wot no bike?
    I don't know, can you have stretch marks when they brush the ground?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by JST169
    If you have ever seen him, you know who I'm talking about. He wears a bandana and puts towels on the rails of the fence.

Jeremy
    Yeah, I've seen that guy too. If you hadn't mentioned his towels, I might not have known who you meant. There's always runners stretching along Forbidden Dr., but that guy's a character for sure. Saw him doing some strange brand of 'tai chi on the move' (for lack of better term) once, but usually he's just leaning against that fence stretching like he's going to bust out some killer ballet moves at any minute.

mtbr member
    I have heard stories about people coming across naked runners during nightrides.

mtbr member
    What you didn't notice was Clyde's group running behind them strumming their banjos.

mtbr member
    Not in Wissahikon, but same park system. supposedly there is a dude who goes out hunting for truffles in Pennypack and has come across 3 bodies on different occasions.

If you night ride in Pennypack you will see people fishing in the summer no matter how late at night it is. I've been there after midnight on night rides and there are still people fishing.

And of course the people making out on benches, they just love our headlights.

wot no bike?

The Welcoming Committee

Ok I ran into the same three people again today, same place. I said "hey" as I climbed past them and one of the guys said, "Hey bro, you go dog!". They are hereafter officially known as The Welcoming Committee. I was dissappointed though that they weren't smoking or pounding beers. Maybe next time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I wish we had people like this in Pittsburgh ...can you maybe send a few out here to liven it up?

wot no bike?
    "Yeah, yeeaah I was out looking for eh, truffles again, yeah and eh, yeah I found another body, officer... yeah that's the ticket".

I think if I found bodies in the woods on multiple occassions I'd have to report the rest of them anonymously to save myself the obvious complications that come with finding not two but three dead bodies on three different occassions.

Respect Your Trails
    Oh man! I love the Wiss. I've seen the bizarre stretcher. The neighborhood swimmers. The homeless. The white hommies. Plenty of trash, graffitti, broken bikes, glass and tires....

No dead bodies yet though. I'll simply consider myself lucky.

And some people wonder why I always carry my pocketknife with me anytime I go out on a ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Pocket Knife? Try a 9mm Taurus Compact. I have a small inside the pants holster that I wear on the side. The bike shorts actually do a nice job of keeping it from flailing around.

Its the only place I carry when I ride. I dont do much city riding anywhere since I have moved to the burbs.

mtbr member

Funny Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetenfrank
    Pocket Knife? Try a 9mm Taurus Compact. I have a small inside the pants holster that I wear on the side. The bike shorts actually do a nice job of keeping it from flailing around.
    Thats funny. I guess you must be pretty sure about the safey, are there any special precautions that you take?

Actually this whole thread is pretty funny, especially because I know the dude on the YETI.

I was hiking in the wiss alone one night and got terribly scared by a mylar ballon that was tied to a bench near the covered bridge. It was blowing in the wind in a weird way and I thought it was some sort of pagan ritual. No mushrooms were involved in this BTW

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluid Dynamics
    Thats funny. I guess you must be pretty sure about the safey, are there any special precautions that you take?

Actually this whole thread is pretty funny, especially because I know the dude on the YETI.

I was hiking in the wiss alone one night and got terribly scared by a mylar ballon that was tied to a bench near the covered bridge. It was blowing in the wind in a weird way and I thought it was some sort of pagan ritual. No mushrooms were involved in this BTW
    Precautions? ASide from making sure I have my Carry/ Conceal permit with me, I keep the gun loaded but I dont keep a round in the chamber. Although some extreme 2nd Amendment types disagree with this philosphy - they think the gun should be loaded at all times with one in the chamber - I dont want to shoot myself in the leg accidentally jumping over a log, safety or no safety

I have only had to draw it once, and that was the day saw two guys breaking into the car next time at the Parking Lot right near Valley Green. I thought they were breaking into my car but they werent. They were breaking into the car next to mine. I holstered, went to the Inn and had them call the police.

wot no bike?
    What did they do when you drew, just take off? I carry my Kahr PM-9 (9mm compact).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i usually carry a kahr p9 with a fist iwb kydex holster.
    this combo works great on a bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What did they do when you drew, just take off? I carry my Kahr PM-9 (9mm compact).
    They never saw me approaching. I was sitting on a bench at the Inn taking a break when I looked over and saw two guys at my car for a very long time. I put my bike down and started walking over and I drew right when I got across the gravel (I didnt want to alarm anyone with the sight of me carrying a gun). I was getting ready to put a round in the chamber and then I noticed that they werent messing with my car, but the car next to mine. Actually, at that point, they were already in the car and were going through his stuff. I holstered, turned around and went to the Inn and had them call 911. By the time the cops came they had walked acorss the creek and were gone.

I am not fearful of having any problems on the trails. Its seems like most of the "shady" types I encounter are on Forbidden Drive just milling around, especially as it gets closer to dark. I tend to stay away from any of the trails by Devil's Pool, more so because I just prefer the trails on the Inn side of the Creek.

But theres been a few times where its getting close to dark and I'll ride a few miles back to the car on Forbidden Drive just because its quicker, and one can already see the hoodlums starting to come out to play.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by grecco
    i usually carry a kahr p9 with a fist iwb kydex holster.
    this combo works great on a bike.
    I have a Taurus 9mm PT-111 with an IWB Mikes Holster.

Is that a paddle holster? I would like something a little less bouncy

Respect Your Trails
    To each his own I suppose. I've never thought about carrying a gun on a ride....

then again, the way Philly has become recently I guess its not a bad idea. I'd rather see one of the bodies, than be one.

(note to self....do not get into scuffle with other riders in the wiss.
    pocket knife < firearm.)

Its the only place I carry when I ride. I dont do much city riding anywhere since I have moved to the burbs.

wot no bike?
    Yeah I use a Fist IWB leather. Great holsters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    They never saw me approaching. I was sitting on a bench at the Inn taking a break when I looked over and saw two guys at my car for a very long time. I put my bike down and started walking over and I drew right when I got across the gravel (I didnt want to alarm anyone with the sight of me carrying a gun). I was getting ready to put a round in the chamber and then I noticed that they werent messing with my car, but the car next to mine. Actually, at that point, they were already in the car and were going through his stuff. I holstered, turned around and went to the Inn and had them call 911. By the time the cops came they had walked acorss the creek and were gone.

I am not fearful of having any problems on the trails. Its seems like most of the "shady" types I encounter are on Forbidden Drive just milling around, especially as it gets closer to dark. I tend to stay away from any of the trails by Devil's Pool, more so because I just prefer the trails on the Inn side of the Creek.

But theres been a few times where its getting close to dark and I'll ride a few miles back to the car on Forbidden Drive just because its quicker, and one can already see the hoodlums starting to come out to play.
    Sounds like yor are little eager on the trigger. This post makes me feel less safe. I wouldn't want to be shot while fumbling for my keys next to FivetenFrank's car.

I personally think carrying a gun on a Wissahickon ride is a bit excessive. I don't want to get into a long winded debate... but really. The vast majority of car thieves aren't homicidal, and if you had made yourself known they probably would have left. It's happened to me, no gun and no fear of violence. Just a "What the **** are you doing", and they're gone.

.. and please don't reply with any hypotheticals because what if someone set off nerve gas the next time you were on the subway. Too bad you didn't carry your gas mask with you that time eh?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Beldrueger
    Sounds like yor are little eager on the trigger. This post makes me feel less safe. I wouldn't want to be shot while fumbling for my keys next to FivetenFrank's car.

I personally think carrying a gun on a Wissahickon ride is a bit excessive. I don't want to get into a long winded debate... but really. The vast majority of car thieves aren't homicidal, and if you had made yourself known they probably would have left. It's happened to me, no gun and no fear of violence. Just a "What the **** are you doing", and they're gone.

.. and please don't reply with any hypotheticals because what if someone set off nerve gas the next time you were on the subway. Too bad you didn't carry your gas mask with you that time eh?
    Agreed. I've been riding in the Wissahickon Valley for over a decade, day & night, winter spring summer & fall, mostly solo, and have never felt 'threatened' in any way - certainly not to the extent where I've felt the need for a gun (and anyone who knows me knows I'm hardly the burly ass-kickin type). I think in all that time, I've only ever seen four people walking the trails after dark (a couple, and their two kids).

There are a few places I won't park, day or night, because experience (and broken window glass) tells me that those lots are more prone to auto break-ins than others but, gun or no gun, if someone wants to smash your window and steal your toll money from the coin holder while you're out on the trail - they can do it and be gone in seconds. If you happened to be 'fortunate' enough to catch them in the act, would you shoot someone over a broken window and $1.72? The popular argument is, "of course not. I'd just detain 'em til the cops got there". But, what if the guy turned and ran anyway? Shoot him in the back?

Hell, 5.10Frank, you actually *did* witness a break-in but let the thieves get away because it wasn't your car that they were breaking into? That confounds me a bit. Seems like a cell phone would've been a more valuable 'weapon against crime' than your 9mm. But, hey, it's your right to carry. As long as you're legal, responsible, and safe w/ it - there ain't much us gun-free folk can say or do to stop you. So be it.

FWIW, I'd love to see statistics on how many cars & bikes are actually stolen from the park. I'd be willing to bet that it's a pretty small number, relative to the number who break in to steal visible cash or 'valuables' left in cars.

wot no bike?
    His post made me feel more safe actually, and not because of the fact that there are MTBers in Wissahickon packing, but simply because of the way Fivetenfrank handled the situation. He didn't go waving his firearm at the guys and he didn't draw his firearm until others in the park were out of sight so as not to freighten anyone. Not only that, when he analyzed the situation he holstered and went to call the poilce. That's responsible gun handling and I can appreciate that.

I think it's impossible to avoid replying with any hypotheticals because, if there wasn't really a chance of anything happening then there would be no point in CCWs in the first place. It's one thing if a group of thugs wants to take my bike/money the moment after I've climbed a killer hill and have zero energy left for fleeing, but if I'm completely exhausted and things get physical onto my face, you better believe I'm going to be happy I have my CCW. I used to live in the Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia, and a few years back we had (and probably still do) a multitude of muggings which were brutal. Completely, unnecessarily brutal. In one occassion a group of kids robbed a harmless 40-50 year old for his wallet and, after getting it, continued to beat the living piss out of him with bricks. I think his jaw was wired shut for quite a while. That's not going to happen to me if I can help it, and I can help it. It's sad but the Wissahickon is an urban park with very urban problems.

That said I'm not looking to scare anyone and yes, the chances are slim -- but I don't think carrying is a sign of paranoia by a long shot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    His post made me feel more safe actually, and not because of the fact that there are MTBers in Wissahickon packing, but simply because of the way Fivetenfrank handled the situation. He didn't go waving his firearm at the guys and he didn't draw his firearm until others in the park were out of sight so as not to freighten anyone. Not only that, when he analyzed the situation he holstered and went to call the poilce. That's responsible gun handling and I can appreciate that.

I think it's impossible to avoid replying with any hypotheticals because, if there wasn't really a chance of anything happening then there would be no point in CCWs in the first place. It's one thing if a group of thugs wants to take my bike/money the moment after I've climbed a killer hill and have zero energy left for fleeing, but if I'm completely exhausted and things get physical onto my face, you better believe I'm going to be happy I have my CCW. I used to live in the Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia, and a few years back we had (and probably still do) a multitude of muggings which were brutal. Completely, unnecessarily brutal. In one occassion a group of kids robbed a harmless 40-50 year old for his wallet and, after getting it, continued to beat the living piss out of him with bricks. I think his jaw was wired shut for quite a while. That's not going to happen to me if I can help it, and I can help it. It's sad but the Wissahickon is an urban park with very urban problems.

That said I'm not looking to scare anyone and yes, the chances are slim -- but I don't think carrying is a sign of paranoia by a long shot.
    Yea, I remember that. A couple of years ago and that guy was a priest if i remember correctly. I hated that neighborhood. All the peeps looked like dumb ass brit rocker wannabees.

Not relevant, just rambling.

-scoon

wot no bike?
    I know what you mean -- I lived there for seven years and it was a really cool place at first but then the "scene" started to move in and it went from cool artist's neighborhood to, well, Old City. all over again. But we digress...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have to admit, if I could carry on my rides here I would. I can guarantee that thing wouldn't come out of its hiding place unless I felt somebody was in physical danger though. If I saw somebody messing around with my car I would have just called the cops or yelled at them from a distance.. something witty like "Hey! I just called the cops!".

mtbr member

wow! in all my years

all 31years of them .across the world and back South Central LA to Littlerock AR i have never felt the need to carry a fire arm accept in kuwait and the iraqi border in jordan. but never in my own city even thow someone just stole my gate that secures my basement.

and that just how i feel about guns. Heck i can barely ride with my camelback so screw that extra weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i've only had one strange Wiss moment. it was about a year ago, after me and my ex broke up. i was out riding to clear my head and thought i would just stop riding and enjoy nature, maybe try and get my head sorted. i had sat next to this rock and noticed this dark red toad, and about the same time some old hippie dude walked up. he started askin me about my bike and somehow we started talkin about the toad. then he pulls out a pretty nice bundle of herb and asks if i wanna smoke with him. i declined cuz its been a long time i had done that and by the looks of this guy, he probably smokes some serious choice stuff and i didn't wanna be high for the next couple hours. either way, we talked about all the animals in the park for like 40 minutes.... it was awesome. old hippie stoners are the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

saw em

my girlfriend and i also saw them on our sunday ride. when i passed them the woman was milling about, and the one dude said 'ride on' to me, or something like that.

Yesterday I went out for a late-afternoon ride, and during an ascension on some of the doubletrack on the west side heading south I came across three of the most backwards, strung-out, jacked-up, trailer-esque people I have seen in a loooong time -- two men and a woman (in their late 40s to mid 50s) just sitting by the side of the trail on a log, all three feverishly smoking cigarettes and putting back Milwalkee's Best. These people looked *jacked*, with five teeth between them, the woman muttering something devoid of any meaning. I can't describe how strange the whole situation was, you would probably have to have been there to really "appreicate" it. Anyway as I passed them I started to think about all the weird sh1t I've seen in the Wissahickon over the years, and how it seems that there's *always* something every once-in-a-while. It also reminds me why I would never let my GF hike alone. So, does anyone have any good stories about things you've come across in the Wissahickon?

wot no bike?
    Hehehe, my goal is to get my picture taken with them and hang it on the wall of my garage.

-p

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

i totally agree,
    its better to have and never need, than need and not have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Boy, country folk sure are scared of city folk...if you know what I mean.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a Taurus 9mm PT-111 with an IWB Mikes Holster.

Is that a paddle holster? I would like something a little less bouncy

its a kydex IWB holster with a metal clip,
    its pretty secure,
    FIST can make any style holster you want out of kydex.
    they are a really good company to deal with.
    i was thinking about using a laynard,but that would make it look to obvious.

sometime in the winter i use a Glock 23 w/ a fobus paddle holster.
    fobus are realatively inexpensive but work great.

once while riding in the city,stopped at a light.
    i was asked by a few "young gentlemen'"how much my bike cost,
    you know where this was going as they were sizing me up.....

my response was not as much as the glock i am holding.
    end of conversation,i enjoyed my ride that day.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! I was assaulted in the wiss.

About 15 years ago I was riding on forbidden drive at dusk about this time of year. I was approaching the bridge over the creek that is closest to the lincoln drive parking lot. There were three guys, one hiding by the near side of the bridge and two on the far side. I rode past the first guy and the the pair on the far side approached me, they wedged me into the fence and one of the guys clubbed me in the head with a chunk of wood.

I was knocked off my bike and on the ground, but I knew that if I waited for more than a second the third hood would arrive from his 'position' and my odds would shrink. I got up and thrust my bike at the one with the club. With the bike between us, I released a primal scream and went for his eyes, when he recoiled I was out of there, with my bike. If they really knew what they were doing I probably wouldnt have gotten away.

Never underestimate the power of a primal scream, no one wants to mess with a crazy dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Yeah, I've seen that guy too. If you hadn't mentioned his towels, I might not have known who you meant. There's always runners stretching along Forbidden Dr., but that guy's a character for sure. Saw him doing some strange brand of 'tai chi on the move' (for lack of better term) once, but usually he's just leaning against that fence stretching like he's going to bust out some killer ballet moves at any minute.
    holy crap. now i now who you guys are talking about. i've seen him doing that tai chi up by the indian statue

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A few years back when I was still in school, the big thing for the thugs to pull was to wait behind a bush on Kelly Drive and club bikers in the chest and knock em off the bike. Soon after, lights were installed on Kelly and alot of those bushes were trimmed down to reduce the blind spots

Granted, if that were to happen to me, I think I would be so looped I wouldnt be conscious enough to draw my gun. So point granted to the other guys who said they wouldnt carry..

However, ages ago, when I decided to get my CCW, I was told my by a friend who already had his, that with the CCW comes certain consequences, one being that you, the CCW carrier, will always get sucked into a debate with someone who takes the counter point against the CCW or the use or possession of firearms.

I stopped having the argument ages ago. Its a moot point. Its one of those open ended debates. I appreciate the dialogue that were all having. I am glad to see this hasnt degraded into name calling and such, and these things tend to go that direction sometimes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    While I have to admit, the idea of folks carrying guns on bikes sounds really off to me. I think the reason that it has not gotten very contentious here is that fivetenfrank sounds like a fairly reasonable person. This has been an eye opener. The thought that folks would carry guns on bikes had never, ever occured to me. I guess it would serve as a good excuse, something like,"I totally would have had you on that last uphill, but this 9mm was weighing me down." Even better than the single speed excuse.

Members who have read this thread: 0