Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Wissahickon trails?

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  djjeffa 
#1 ·
I have been to the wiss twice now. The trails are far better than the ones in NJ, but where are the best ones? I usually park in the first parking lot down Weiss mill road or some thing like that near the restranaunt. Than I go back the road I came from about 100 ft, walk my bike up a huge hill for ten minutes than ride down for a mile or two. There are jumps and cool stuff and it's fun and all... I just always here about all the other good ones. Where are the best ones and how do I get their. Also where is the bowl? I think they filled it in but are their still other stuff, and how do u get their.

#2 ·
The creek runs through a gorge bounded on both sides by wooded hillsides. Stay in the woods on the hillsides.

It sounds to me like you are walking up Wises Mill Road and taking a left onto the trails. That's a pretty good starting point. Try to keep your elevation as you travel through the woods. It will take you through those jumps and eventually under a bridge. Once you get under the bridge, cross the creek and stay on single track up a tough hill the other side.

Basically, you will hit places at various times where there are easy paths down to Forbidden Drive. Instead of following the more obvious route back to Forbidden Drive, look for where the singletrack continues on the other side of the escape routes.

Honestly, though, the hills in Wissahickon are really tough (at least for this area). If you are walking up Wises Mill Road, you are going to have a real tough time riding up the hills on the trails. You might be better off hitting somewhere like Nockamixon to work on conditioning before going to Wiss. I don't mean any offense - the hills are killer for me too.

#3 ·
Yeah some of the hills suck but that gets made up for on the down hills. I can Handel the climbs, but any way I don't walk back up the paved part of the road, if u go to the restranaunt face the enteracne and go right, the way back down the road there is a trail, all u see is a giant hill. But at the top is really fun. Can u give directions where the good trails r tho.

#4 ·
I guess I misunderstood. I can't really say where the best stuff is because everyone likes something different. On the west side on the south end there is a climb with big rock steps that is pretty cool, although I can't get up it (hit my crank every time). The east side is very rocky with some loose stuff. I am not aware of any jumps except those whoops you referenced headed south from Wises Mill Road. I have never ridden the part north of Wises Mill Road but I know there are trails all the way up to Bells Mill Road.

#5 ·
If you google "Wissahickon mtb trail map" and select the images tab, the second map should be from the Rally in the Valley. This map will give you a decent idea of the upper trails to ride. I usually start in Northwestern Ave and ride in the direction opposite of the arrows, though.
Good luck.
You might also want to try to catch a group ride through meet up.

#7 ·
I find the trails ride better in that direction. For instance, I prefer to climb up to the Indian statue on the gravel trail and enjoy the drops going down from the Indian. There are a few other sections that seem best ridden in the direction opposite that Rally in the Valley map shows.
It's been a while since I've ridden the entire park in the other (clockwise) direction; I will hit some parts in the clockwise direction, but if I'm riding the whole park it'll be counterclockwise.

#11 ·
Just a note to all Wiss riders, there have been a bunch of car break-ins recently. There were two yesterday morning (at 6 am!) and a couple the day before in the afternoon. This actually happened right in the Valley Green parking lot. Talking with the cops they said they know of at least 5 more this summer. So watch out. I was there in the morning and in talking with the people who's car was broken into, nothing seems to have been taken.

#15 ·
Just saw on FB where someone had their car broken into yesterday, VGI Upper lot. I was there today (as were hordes of others) and had it on my mind for most of my ride, but did take my wallet and all with me and left nothing in sight. Sucks that we have to worry about this stuff.

#16 ·
Hopefully, they will bring back the under-cover cops that will help catch some of these guys.

#17 ·
VGI upper lot and Bells Mill lot are pretty notorious for car break-ins. I would avoid those spots like the plague or if you must go there, take your wallet and valuables with you. I have heard in the past that if you leave a wallet or purse, they usually take just one credit card so you don't notice it right away and they can charge a bunch of stuff.

More on topic though, I live locally and usually ride counter-clockwise as well. The trails generally favor riding in that direction.

#18 ·
The parking lot by the stables on Northwestern Ave is a little safer, but I would still not leave valuables in the car. Parking in the neighborhoods on either side I think is the best.

On the routing, I like to do a figure 8.... start going up wises, then right, through the meadows ending down the Monster, then cross the creek at Bells Mill, do the Indian side and end at VGI. Then go back up wises and go left and do the bottom half of the park counterclockwise.

#19 ·
anybody know where the idian/cheif statue is. iv been all over the net trying to find him but none of the online maps help. i know i could get one from fow but it would take to long and i want to go saturday. on a side know last month i noticed alote of broken care windows on lincon drive not sure if they were break ins or just spite work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.