mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wissahickon trail status

What kind of shape are the trails in? I wanted to ride there this weekend and I was wondering if it is worth it? Are they to severly damaged to have a good time or is it still okay for a few experienced/skilled riders? Please give me a heads up, thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fl jay
    What kind of shape are the trails in? I wanted to ride there this weekend and I was wondering if it is worth it? Are they to severly damaged to have a good time or is it still okay for a few experienced/skilled riders? Please give me a heads up, thanks.
    I was out there a couple of times in the last couple of weeks and the trails are really beat up. The last storm did some unbelievable damage. There are numerous area where the trail is completely washed out. Take the trail on the other side of the creek from the Valley Green Inn. The entrance to your left that leads up to the Indian is now a cliff and was roped off the day I was out. If you take a right, there is a gradual climb followed by a nice downhill tha crosses a small stream before crossing a concrete bridge. That concrete bridge collapsed in half and is laying in the creek. One of the abutments was washed out by the rain. The other major place that stood out was off of the main road entrance to Valley Green from Henry Ave. There is a trail that crosses the road about halfway down. If you were coming up the road from Forbidden Drive you would make a right onto the trail just past a gated house. That trail is gone. There is a 48" corrugated pipe sitting in the middle of the creek completely exposed. The trail used to cover this pipe. Check it out for yourself and you will be shocked. Some repairs may have been made since I was out, but I am sure most of the devastation is still evident. Needless to say, the riding is a bit more technical now.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by fl jay

As meridesNRS said (and as stated in several other threads on this board) Wissahickon is a complete mess right now. Yes, there are some parts of the park that are in fair shape but, between those areas less-affected by the storms, there are portions of the trail that are unrecognizable, unrideable or (in some cases) the trail is gone altogether. Expect quite a few areas of hike-a-bike if you go.

My suggestion to you is to go someplace else. If you're looking for something close to the city, you might try pennypack. I haven't been there (pennypack) in a few weeks, but it wasn't too bad then. However, the geology and topography at Pennypack is similar to that at Wissahickon, so things may have deteriorated there since my last visit.

Maybe Fair Hill or Brandywine?
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was going to go there tomorrow since I am staying 5 minutes away. How will it be after the rain yesterday?

Is there anyone that wants to ride/show me around tomorrow eve?

Chris

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by cjoseph
    I was going to go there tomorrow since I am staying 5 minutes away. How will it be after the rain yesterday?

Is there anyone that wants to ride/show me around tomorrow eve?

Chris
    I would if I could. Gotta date with traffic court.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson