Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    meh?

Wissahickon Tires - What are you riding here?

I've been using Conti X-King 2.2's at Wissahickon over the past two months. These tires were great for the hard-pack and roots of NJ, but on the loose, slightly damp, and sand covered rocks of Wiss they just don't have the appropriate grip. My rear wheel just spins on rocks when climbing and everything is super twitchy on the loose downhills.
    I'm in the process of building up a new bike (ROS 9!) so I'll be switching to 29" wheels. I realize that this will make a big difference (that's why I'm doing it). I'm researching tires and want to know what other riders are using. I was thinking 2.35 Nobby Nics or the 2.4 Conti Trail Kings. I know they're super wide, but it's a chuckable hardtail, so I want a little cush.

What are you riding at Wissahickon? Thanks in advance for your input!
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What pressure have you been running with them? I passed go on the 2.2 X-Kings because they were a little too skinny for my taste. On my XC full suspension 26er, I ran the Racesport 2.4's (the original Racesport, they changed it a little I think), and they felt awesome. I ran them with tubes, but ran them pretty low...around 22 PSI by what my pump said. Absolutely loved them. I recently just got the 2.4 X-king with the Protection casing for my 29er and took them right back off. Way too stiff. Couldn't find the sweet spot pressure wise. Either too much pressure, or floppy sidewalls. This was tubeless and I weigh about 155-160 on the bike for what it is worth. I think a heavier rider might have better feedback than I did. I would like to grab the current X-king Racesport 2.4, I think it will feel much better.

The tire I am eying up to try next is the new Maxxis Ikon, 2.35. Lotta people liking them. Good size, supple casing and decently fast. I plan to go with the 3C.

Thumbs up on the ROS 9.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Oh by the way, I know a good number of guys are running the Specialized Ground Control's and liking them. Probably can't go wrong on that, the 2.3's will have some decent volume.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I ran the 2.25 Racing Ralphs the last few years there (but always wanted a little more grip)-----Go with the Nobby Nic 2.35 (the WISS was made for those tires...)

mtbr member
    bonty xr-4s do pretty well there.

Not a significant enough improvement over the x-kings I'm running now to justify running them in the summer, but I do keep them on my winter wheels. Never ran the 26" x-kings but once I switched to the 2.4 up front handling got a lot better - the rear actually breaks loose predictably now, and the front hardly ever does.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nobby Nics. All the way.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    I am running Michelin Wild Grip'R 2's. These are the 26 X 2.25 Advanced versions. They are high volume, low rolling resistance tires that are easy to set up tubeless. Nice and grippy on the rock ledges but still feels super fast on Demo I & II. Really been impressed with these tires.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i like to vary the rear tire with seasons (less knobs in the summer more in the fall/winter/spring)

upfront i always like something big and chunky. really digging the special-ed eskarz currently and had a purgatory before that i enjoyed just as much. front tires last me a good while (a year?) so i usually don't skimp on a nice one. i find having a big knobby front tire will let you get away with having a little less tread in the back. and to me it seems like 90% or rolling resistance comes from the back tire so that is the one i change to match the conditions.

this summer i was riding riding some zee rubber tire and then a duro gremlin out back. neither were fantastic but good enough especially when they were new. they are both pretty destroyed now and i am needing a little more traction for the upcoming falling of the leaves anyhow so i am shopping for whatever is cheap an looks like it might have enough chunk to survive till spring when a new semi-slick goes back on..

my all time favorite rear tires are the maxxis crossmark for summer and the ignitor for winter; but i refuse to pay 50 bucks for a tire i will destroy in a couple months though so i haven't had either of those in a while.

mtbr member
    Lotta 2.35 Hans Dampfs in the Wiss, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I would be leary of running the Conti's tire if it's not the added protection tire. I just destroyed a brand new Mountain King this weekend.

Lesson learned.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    I would be leary of running the Conti's tire if it's not the added protection tire. I just destroyed a brand new Mountain King this weekend.

Lesson learned.
    You aren't the only one with issues. Never had a problem with the previous generation of MK's, but a buddy of mine has nothing but headaches with the new version. Torn knobs, cut sidewalls, etc. He's had each tire replaced twice under warranty and finally gave up on them.

He's not a huge guy, doesn't ride super aggressive and the issues occurred on typical signletrack, nothing overly rocky.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

meh?

Good to know on the ProTection sidewalls from Conti. My XKings have a bunch of shallow cuts from rocks, but I haven't had any trouble with any through the sidewalls. I try run low pressure on my tires, especially the rear.

I have an aversion to the Specialized and Bontrager stuff. I guess it's just from when I bought my first bike and all the in-house Specialized components sucked. That was a long time ago and since then I've noticed that a lot of people seem to like their tires.

I was looking at the Hans Damfs too. They seem like they'd be a good fit, but i was worried about the weight and I hadn't seen anyone else on them. I really think Schwalbe has some good tires, but at $80 a wheel, I'm hesitant. I've heard they are great performing tires, but wear very quickly.

It appears I need to do some research into Specialized and Maxxis tires, maybe some Michelins too.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For what it's worth, I've put about 600+ Wissahickon miles on a pair of Hans Dampfs 2.35s and they've been great. The knobs are starting to come off now, though, but I feel that's par for the course with the Wissahickon. Just ordered a set of Ignitors to replace them because they were cheaper and I like them just fine too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    I really think Schwalbe has some good tires, but at $80 a wheel, I'm hesitant.
    Au contraire: Schwalbe. Link is to bike-discount.de, which has Schwalbe tires waaay cheaper than US dealers. A couple threads here discuss them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    You aren't the only one with issues. Never had a problem with the previous generation of MK's, but a buddy of mine has nothing but headaches with the new version. Torn knobs, cut sidewalls, etc. He's had each tire replaced twice under warranty and finally gave up on them.

He's not a huge guy, doesn't ride super aggressive and the issues occurred on typical signletrack, nothing overly rocky.
    Add me to the list. I had the protection version as well. Knobs just would not stay on. It was crazy. I had two sets and that was enough for me. I loved the old MK1. Fantastic tire.

Spring! Spring! Spring!

Search for on-one smorgasbord 2.25 as a back tire, chunky monkey 2.4 for the front. They have potential. Made my maxxis for on-one. Have Ekso sidewall protection.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That's a bummer that so many are having issues with the Conti's. My original racesports (from two years ago) had light sidewalls and never gave me a problem. I felt the new Protections were waaaayyyy too stiff. Put em on, set em up tubeless, and took em right back off. Just nothing like the older racesports I had, feel wise. So I guess I never gave them a chance to fall apart.

I myself am currently riding S-works Renegade 2.3's and don't have trouble with the sidewalls there either. Not sure, but I think it may have to do with the way I see my lines these days. I don't wiggle around the rocks and such very much, but rather opt to roll over them more directly, looking for paths and transitions of the rocks/roots themselves, so I'm not really scuffing them that much. Plus, lucky for us, Wiss's rocks aren't exactly sharp either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post

This was my first MK ever, but it only last for one ride which put a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure the added protection tires are a lot better but I'm moving on.
    I destroyed mine at Marsh Creek over the weekend which isn't a radical riding area compared to the Wiss.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Search for on-one smorgasbord 2.25 as a back tire, chunky monkey 2.4 for the front. They have potential. Made my maxxis for on-one. Have Ekso sidewall protection.
    I was eyeing up the chunky monkey a few weeks ago seems like a decent tire, but decided to try out a Vee Rubber fluid in 2.5 for my front tire.
    Plant X has the CM at a good price also.
    Pedaling Gorilla

banned
    Apr 2009
    Oh Yeah there should be a bunch of Hans Dampf's at the Wiss (just saw that post also)--

My Racing Ralphs have the Snake Bite?? sidewalls (never had a puncturing issue)--I did have a few tires before these get cut up at the WISS.

And for folks who bark about the tire price (it seems to be only $20 more than what you pay for a so-called competitor tire)----But why mess around??

Tires are most important for the ride (and I am sure most folks already soent a few thousand on their bikes and wheelsets and forks as it is)----so why mess around with the most important piece for a ride????

Always has me puzzled when guys have $5,000 bikes but won't pay more than $50 for a tire????

SCWALBE's are like Duracell Batteries (the BEST)--why even take a chance on Anything else?? Now if they were $180 a tire I could see all the *****ing...

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've ridden the the 29er Hans Dampf Snakeskin, I've ridden the On-One Chunky Monkey, for the $50 I save I have to put up with maybe 50g more weight. I'm hard pressed to see where the tires behave materially differently.

Oh, other than the Chunky Monkey lasting longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    29er kenda nevegal front, conti xking rear....with TUBEs (gasp). That being said, I have spun out, failed to unclip in time and ended up on the rocks quite a few times. A high volume tubeless would be preferable on the rear. The Nevegals work great but are slow for the 11 miles of pavement I ride to get there, and they are heavy. The XKings are listed as 2.2 but are more like a 2.0.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Also- a little spam here....I am finally converting to tubeless on my Trek, so I have a bunch of extra partially used tires I'd like to get rid of:

2 Nevegals 29x2.25
    2 Bontrager 29-3
    1 Conti XKing 29x2.2

Would like to sell them to offset some cost of the new tires. Between the 5 tires you could get a couple thousand miles out of them. Good option for you high mileage guys....$10/tire?

I live 20 minutes from the Wiss....shoot me a message if interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Oh Yeah there should be a bunch of Hans Dampf's at the Wiss (just saw that post also)--

My Racing Ralphs have the Snake Bite?? sidewalls (never had a puncturing issue)--I did have a few tires before these get cut up at the WISS.

And for folks who bark about the tire price (it seems to be only $20 more than what you pay for a so-called competitor tire)----But why mess around??

Tires are most important for the ride (and I am sure most folks already soent a few thousand on their bikes and wheelsets and forks as it is)----so why mess around with the most important piece for a ride????

Always has me puzzled when guys have $5,000 bikes but won't pay more than $50 for a tire????

SCWALBE's are like Duracell Batteries (the BEST)--why even take a chance on Anything else?? Now if they were $180 a tire I could see all the *****ing...
    I have never had any major tire issues at the Wiss (knock on wood) but have suffered really badly at High Rocks. I am now hesitant to ride that place without UST tires. Hate to derail this thread but for anyone riding High Rocks, what are you using?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    running a WTB bronson up front and a GEAX AKA in the rear on my 29er- grip was good on the AKA, but the rocks really chewed up the tread and tore a lot of knobs off. I'll be switching to another tire in the rear if I ever start riding my 29er again. I've been having too much fun on my fatbike to bother.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I typically ride Wiss one or two days a week and I stick with Conti's. My preffered setup would be 2.2 MKs in the front and 2.2 X-Kings in the rear. I like a beefier tire in the front and a faster roller in the rear.

Right now I have a Maxxis Ignitor in the front and a Conti Race King in the rear. The Ignitor is a nice tire, but it holds mud like no other. Just waiting to trash it to put on a MK. The race king in the rear is pretty nice. I get some slippage, but I actually think the smaller, more compact tread gives me more grip. There are a few spots that challenge my mojo on most rides. I seem to clear them more consistently with the Race King.

I stick with 2.2s whenever possible. I was in a pinch a few weeks ago and grabbed a 2.4 X-King of the shelf. It felt like an F-ing ballon on the back of my bike. Too much float.

Always look for protection and black chili!
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast