mtbr member
    Apr 2004

wissahickon nightride 1-17-07

wednesday night - 6:30PM - meet at valley green

we will not be going too slow or stopping a lot cause you might die of frostbite...

word on the streets is it might be in the teens

i'll either be out riding in the lot on my big red singlspeed trying to stay warm, or huddled inside my white volvo wagon until .4 seconds before the ride leaves (if it is REALLY cold).

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    wednesday night - 6:30PM - meet at valley green

we will not be going too slow or stopping a lot cause you might die of frostbite...

word on the streets is it might be in the teens

i'll either be out riding in the lot on my big red singlspeed trying to stay warm, or huddled inside my white volvo wagon until .4 seconds before the ride leaves (if it is REALLY cold).

kidding aside, Max, watch out for ice! Things are probably still a bit wet & sloppy today and, if the temp plummets today/overnight as predicted... it could get nasty.

I'm going to have to pass on the ride tomorrow, 'cos my hardtail is still out of commission (just ordered Inbred 456 this morning), and my Klein proved downright unreliable on my last sub-freezing night ride (upper Bucks County, last Tuesday). Ice on rims, Ice/frozen mud on brake/shifter cables...whole nine yards. Nothing worked as it should by the time I was 1/2 - 3/4 of the way around.

I'm sticking to the trainer til I get the On-One together!
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    c'mon stick i ain't got none of them newfangled disco brakes either...

thats why we let others ride in front, to find the icy spots for us.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Yo max, what kind of light setup are you using? This question goes for all I suppose. I'm in the market for a decent light system that can fit a somewhat tight budget (nothing over $250). Been checking out some new LEDs as well as some nice halogens. Word UP

D

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    On similar note I just did my first night ride up in Mountain Top, Pa. What a blast. We did mostly double track, which was good since it was my first time at night.

I have been talking with Lee from Bicycle Therapy on a Subaru forum about the Wissahickon trails. I will have to come down some time to check them out. If/when I do I'll make a post to see if anyone wants to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i am currently using a cateye doubleshot. it's one of them new fangled LED jobs.

it is nice and bright and has an awesome 5 hour burn time but to be honest it's beam is a little to narrow to really feel comfortable bombing the trails at night.

don't get me wrong it is more than enough light to ride, but it does get a wee bit sketchy once speeds start to increase.

if i were to do it again i think i'd pony up the extra $$$ for the tripleshot. i think both come with bar and helmet mounts.

but if you like a little adventure in your night riding the double does fine. there is a buddy of mine uses just the doubleshot as well and is blazing fast so maybe it isn't the light holding me back...

this same freind is days away from unveiling his own homebrew light setup. i can't wait to see it; if it works well, i am getting in line to get him to build me one!

if i were at all electrically inclined i would build my own. he claims that for around 60 bucks, his light will "blow the doubleshot away"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    (just ordered Inbred 456 this morning), and my Klein proved downright unreliable on my last sub-freezing night ride (upper Bucks County, last Tuesday). Ice on rims, Ice/frozen mud on brake/shifter cables...whole nine yards. Nothing worked as it should by the time I was 1/2 - 3/4 of the way around.
    I'm sticking to the trainer til I get the On-One together!
    Hey Stick, look forward to seeing your 456 out on the trail. So far mine is the only one i've seen. I was on the ride with Max last Wed. and there were two other On-Ones out too, both rigid SS 29ers though.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Yo max, what kind of light setup are you using? This question goes for all I suppose. I'm in the market for a decent light system that can fit a somewhat tight budget (nothing over $250). Been checking out some new LEDs as well as some nice halogens. Word UP

D
    I've got a Light & Motion ARC Cabeza that I bought roughly 4 yrs ago. I think I paid something like $369 for it. It's a big investment for something as seemingly simple as a bicycle light, but it rocks - plain & simple. Money well spent. Super-bright, lightweight, 3.5 hr burn time, and charges just as fast. Rock-solid performance since the day I bought it.

Sorry, I know it's out of your current price range - but lights are one of those things where you really do get what you pay for and, if you invest in a really good one, you'll start looking for excuses to go use it.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    dude, i hear ya on the home built setup. check out this link for a sweet looking, yet affordable LED setup: DIY K2 Helmet Lights

i'm thinking about trying to build something, but electrical inclinations are lacking here as well. plus time is limited. going the manufactured route expedites the process and you have company support if something screws up.

stick, the arc would be sweet. and i agree that nice equipment encourages more riding. we'll see. i think buying a light is more difficult than buying a bike!