mtbr member

Wissahickon More Technical?

It could be me but it seems that Wissahickon is more technical this season. The trails are just chewed to pieces, and anywhere where there's an incline it's covered in loose rock. It's even worse when you're riding behind someone then the trail changes dynamically as they kick rocks left and right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

loose

i dont know if technical is the word i'd use. just loose, which is something i've always noticed when there are heavy rains. wiss has a lot of double tracks that have a single track feel because of the one or two grooved lines on them. when the trail becomes a temporary stream, water washes all the loose rock from the sides into the most commonly ridden veins. its hard to avoid, and a total pain, especially when they shoot up and hit your shin.

Inbred Homebrewer

I agree with mcurtius...loose is more like it.

Nothing new, just lots of erosion caused by all of the torrential downpours lately. It's more pronounced in some areas than others, too, but it happens almost every year. All it takes is one or two hot, dry weeks followed by a heavy storm or two. The loose soil gets washed down into the Wissahickon and the larger gravel and stone stays behind. Of course, the stone and gravel also begins making its way downhill (just at a much slower rate); ultimately, it accumulates behind water bars, in ruts, turns, etc.

Just wait until Fall. Then the leaves will come down and cover the loose stuff. That's when it really gets interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MonolithicX
    It could be me but it seems that Wissahickon is more technical this season. The trails are just chewed to pieces, and anywhere where there's an incline it's covered in loose rock. It's even worse when you're riding behind someone then the trail changes dynamically as they kick rocks left and right.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Inbred Homebrewer
    HOLY S#$*!

I take back my earlier reply. Wissahickon is officially WAAAAAY MORE TECHNICAL now.

I rode there saturday morning and again yesterday afternoon. The difference a night of heavy rain can make is absolutely incredible. There was a massive mudslide that basically ruined the 'new' patio at Valley Green Inn, a tree collapsed and took down the powerlines along Valley Green Rd, closing the parking lots and forcing everyone to park along the road. The street was littered with bricks and rocks, 30 foot logs approx. 2 feet in diameter floated down the Wissahickon at 15 - 20 mph like so much driftwood.

The trails are worse than I've seen in the 12 or so years that I've been riding there. Some sections are completely unrecognizable now. Big stretches of completely exposed rock (moab-style) where there was soil only a day before. Essentially, the place looks like it suffered the equivalent of 20 yrs worth of erosion and damage in a single day.

Sad. It's going to take a long time to repair everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MonolithicX
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson