Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    108

    Wissahickon conditions?

    Anyone know how the wiss is after all of the rain/snow yesterday? Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    598
    Might be a little damp, but with this high wind whicking the moisture away, I'd say it'll be fine for tomorrow.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Might be a little damp, but with this high wind whicking the moisture away, I'd say it'll be fine for tomorrow.
    Great, thanks. I was planning on about 2 tomorrow so sounds like I'll be good.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21
    anyone been there since the snow?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,463
    for the remainder of the week it will be severely f#cked unless frozen...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7
    rode wiss today from bells mill up monster, down roxy side, across to mt airy side back to vgi. did not ride chestnut hill/chief section. temp was 31 when I started. conditions were ok, not great. Avoid the meadows area, completely ice covered in exposed areas, muddy in woods although the monster was frozen / good and twisty turny was in good shape for some hill repeats! rest of trails had some mud but rideable if temps are low. if temps get above 33 or 34, it will be a soupy mess. Best to ride early AM for the next few days as it should be in the 20s and frozen between 7 and 9AM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,262
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtrailrocky View Post
    rode wiss today from bells mill up monster, down roxy side, across to mt airy side back to vgi. did not ride chestnut hill/chief section. temp was 31 when I started. conditions were ok, not great. Avoid the meadows area, completely ice covered in exposed areas, muddy in woods although the monster was frozen / good and twisty turny was in good shape for some hill repeats! rest of trails had some mud but rideable if temps are low. if temps get above 33 or 34, it will be a soupy mess. Best to ride early AM for the next few days as it should be in the 20s and frozen between 7 and 9AM.
    What he said. Rode this morning and it was perfect. Rock solid and frozen. However, you could see all the ruts from people ridding when it is thawed. Some parts are pretty bad. People need to know when not to ride.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21
    rode there sunday morning after the overnight dusting of snow. didn't get there early enough to beat the thaw for the day, so i was delegated to riding forbidden drive (still better than the trainer or the rd bike)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,463
    was out checking last night (wednesday)

    rode demo1 and it was TERRIBLE.

    all the frozen water in the ground is all coming up and the trails are going to be an absolute mess for the next couple days till they can really dry out.

    judging by what i saw last night i bet the trails will still be pretty wrecked this weekend.

    so for all those with a conscience: if you plan to ride this weekend (yes it is going to be really nice out) please respect the trails and don't ride if the trails are still muddy and greasy.

    there are roadbikes and tons of off the beaten path trail systems to explore at times like this. please don't go out and make the existing ruts even deeper.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    484
    Cross the river and ride the sandy trails at Camden County College or make the long drive to Batsto.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinsj View Post
    Cross the river and ride the sandy trails at Camden County College or make the long drive to Batsto.
    yeah i totally agree it would be the perfect time for batsto! those trails are a superfun and wetness only makes them better.

    if your a singlespeeder and haven't been there yet you owe it to yourself to check it out. not a hill in sight but enough twists and turns to keep you constantly bobbing and weaving while grinning from ear to ear.

    not too far from philly... just over an hour if i remember correctly.

  12. #12
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,178
    This weather sucks. Last saturday was so awesome, everything was nice and solid.

    Guess I'll take the road bike off the trainer.

  13. #13
    chk-chk-boom
    Reputation: geoffss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    777
    With the cold snap recently, 90% of the trails I rode yesterday were frozen and fast.
    I am a professional coffee processing unit.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    20
    What time did you ride?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,262
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrox View Post
    What time did you ride?
    I rode this morning and it was nice and frozen. However, you could see all the ruts from people ridding when it was thawed. Some areas are pretty bad.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,463
    i was out hiking a little with the kiddies yesterday. the park looks like hell from people riding when they shouldn't be...

    don't make it worse. watch the weather and get out early or late when it is frozen.

    it is not going to dry out anytime soon. so you can assume muddy/shitty conditions anytime it is above freezing.

    what am i riding today? the road bike. not because i want to...

    don't be an ass; give the wiss a break this time of year.

    can't give up the mtb? go down to batsto, i was there last week practically in the rain and it was AWESOME! that's where i'd be if i could!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    598
    Exactly Max.

    Yesterday, I rode down there and hopped in at Hortter and Park Line and headed towards Kitchens. At first it seemed like it might have been OK but as I rode it was obvious it wasn't. I ***** footed it down to Kitchens riding super slow. There were tons of ripped tracks from folks that just can't give two turds about the damage they do. I rode down to meet my wife and son on the other end of Forbidden at that point.

    To the folks that I did see on the very short time I was on the trail, or when riding up Mt. Airy ave. to go home, I'd kindly say to them that it wasn't a good idea to be riding out here. They would look as if that concept was from the moon...Clueless. With no care for getting a clue.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    598
    On another note...

    Who was the jackass that cut down the small tree (about 7 or 8 inch diameter) on the decent to Kitchens? This was done a while back, about a half year ago, but it irks me every time I go by it. Obviously the tool (or tools) couldn't be bothered to steer their bikes at speed around the tree, so they cut it down. It changed the whole feel of the trail right there. It opened up the overhead canopy, it took away the moderate excitement that came from buzzing the tree. If you can't/couldn't ride past that tree without feeling the need to remove it, exercising unfounded autonomy in the process, then maybe you shouldn't ride at all.

    Now, folks are bleaching the trail even more by riding straight past the stump, and not even following the contour of the trail as it was. I guarantee that these same folks can't bunnyhop, and expect a roller over built, or log cut out every time something lies across the trail.

    Ridership is up in mountain biking, it goes without saying that skill level is clearly down as well...and a good deal of those with no real skill are astoundingly and arrogantly executive about making changes to what they have no business doing.

    Rant over. Sorry folks.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2x9x29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    31
    We have the same problems in Pennypack and Neshaminy. People riding or altering trails. I have also seen reports from Whiteclay and Fairhill about people riding the trails when it's too muddy or wet. Nox recently closed their trails until conditions improve. I'm not sure if its selfishness or if people just don't know any better. We have been trying to educate riders and get the word out. So far we have had fairly good results but you will always have some people who don't care. The real kicker was 180+ racers riding thru PP sensitive single track during an illegal rogue race a few weeks ago (Jan 6th) and the trails were definitely too wet and muddy. The biggest problem now is equestrians riding trails that are not designed for horses.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    51
    I agree with the posts above regarding staying off the trails. I've been hiking the trails at Wissahickon for the past month (instead of riding) and it's amazing how quickly they turn to crap. Totally clueless riders out there, like dudes grinning from ear to ear because they're covered in mud.

    As much as it kills me not to ride the trails, and as much as I loathe my road bike, I'm staying off the single track until it dries out. I've been having a bit of fun riding Forbidden and getting some hills in by riding up and down all the various gravel lead-in roads like Rex Ave, Summit Ave, Livezey, etc. It's better than not riding at all.

    Has anyone been to Belmont recently? I've been thinking about doing an all bike path and gravel road loop, like what I used to ride on my cross bike. From Valley Green to Belmont, ride a few loops around there on the fire roads and then head back. Are there any other "off-road" roads or paths around I could add to the route?
    Last edited by always_last; 01-20-2013 at 06:47 PM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,262
    Quote Originally Posted by always_last View Post
    I agree with the posts above regarding staying off the trails. I've been hiking the trails at Wissahickon for the past month (instead of riding) and it's amazing how quickly they turn to crap. Totally clueless riders out there, like dudes grinning from ear to ear because they're covered in mud.

    As much as it kills me not to ride the trails, and as much as I loathe my road bike, I'm staying off the single track until it dries out. I've been having a bit of fun riding Forbidden and getting some hills in by riding up and down all the various gravel lead-in roads like Rex Ave, Summit Ave, Livezey, etc. It's better than not riding at all.

    Has anyone been to Belmont recently? I've been thinking about doing an all bike path and gravel road loop, like what I used to ride on my cross bike. From Valley Green to Belmont, ride a few loops around there on the fire roads and then head back. Are there any other "off-road" roads or paths around I could add to the route?
    Rode belmont a while ago and it was nice. The thing that kills me is that the trails are perfect in the early mornings. They are frozen solid. But seeing those ruts and thorn up trails make me embarrassed for my kind...

    With that said, this is a perfect week to ride! Go out and enjoy the trails.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

  22. #22
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,178
    Got up and out in the dark saturday morning so I could get a good ride in before it started thawing. There were some small areas that had some pretty bad damage but overall it didn't look that horrible. Small modifications to allow better drainage would fix many of the spots permanently.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by always_last View Post
    I agree with the posts above regarding staying off the trails. I've been hiking the trails at Wissahickon for the past month (instead of riding) and it's amazing how quickly they turn to crap. Totally clueless riders out there, like dudes grinning from ear to ear because they're covered in mud.

    As much as it kills me not to ride the trails, and as much as I loathe my road bike, I'm staying off the single track until it dries out. I've been having a bit of fun riding Forbidden and getting some hills in by riding up and down all the various gravel lead-in roads like Rex Ave, Summit Ave, Livezey, etc. It's better than not riding at all.

    Has anyone been to Belmont recently? I've been thinking about doing an all bike path and gravel road loop, like what I used to ride on my cross bike. From Valley Green to Belmont, ride a few loops around there on the fire roads and then head back. Are there any other "off-road" roads or paths around I could add to the route?

    Do you ride a Stumpjumper Expert HT? Blue jersey? I think I might have seen you on Forbidden on Saturday. Me...all black, bit of beard going, Stumpjumper leaning against the park bench, while hanging with the wife and son. We nodded at each other...?
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

  24. #24
    chk-chk-boom
    Reputation: geoffss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    777
    Trails were either frozen or tacky today. Most of the trails were smooth, with only few rutted sections that froze requiring precise line selection.

    Plus lots of horse apples.
    I am a professional coffee processing unit.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by 2x9x29 View Post
    We have the same problems in Pennypack and Neshaminy. People riding or altering trails. I have also seen reports from Whiteclay and Fairhill about people riding the trails when it's too muddy or wet. Nox recently closed their trails until conditions improve. I'm not sure if its selfishness or if people just don't know any better. We have been trying to educate riders and get the word out. So far we have had fairly good results but you will always have some people who don't care. The real kicker was 180+ racers riding thru PP sensitive single track during an illegal rogue race a few weeks ago (Jan 6th) and the trails were definitely too wet and muddy. The biggest problem now is equestrians riding trails that are not designed for horses.
    in my experience living in a lot of different places on the east coast... both attitudes definitely exist, but by and far its people just not knowing any better. A little courtesy goes a long way when informing them, and I always mention that the less damage that gets created now, the less trail maintenance has to be done in the spring.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •