mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Wissahickon anyone?

A bunch of us are coming to ride Wissahickon very early on Mon. (labor day) at 7:00 am. None of us has ever ridden here. Where is the best place to park and the best route to take. We are all capable of ridig the rough stuff and we have heard it is here. Is the trail hard to follow? Is the loop around 20 miles? We are coming from the Reading area and dont really know our way around. Thank you for the help! Is there any one out there who rides here regularly this early in the morning and would like to show us around? We are not about speed and like to have fun and enjoy the ride,

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    you need a permit to ride there saying you have one park at the pavilion or valley green in ride demo one trail, demo one is good there also monster and roller coaster just off demo one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sorry I can't be there as a guide, but you really don't need a guide.

Here is the official "rally in the valley" map that is quite good. I would get off the PA TP at FT Washington and head to Northwest ave. There is plenty of parking and that area is one of the safer places to park. Note: You will have to ride about 1/2 mile past Bells Mill Rd before you can head up off the cinder bike path. Take the first trail up to the right after crossing Bells Mill Rd. That 1st hill is the most difficult, so don't get discoureged.

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/images/Trails/PA Wissahickon/wissahickoncoursemap.pdf

The trails all follow along the creek, so you really can't get lost. Just head down hill and you end up on the bike trial along the creek. As for the permit, you are suppose to have one, but I've never been asked to see it ever in over 30 rides!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    the pass that killzone speaks of can be found here

Most peeps that go for a long ride there do a loop. Wiss consists of a stretch of the wissahickon creek about 5-6 miles in length. It's not very wide and all of the trails are on one side of the creek or the other. There is a main gravel path that runs almost the entire length of the park called forbidden drive. Look at this map to see what I mean. This runs parallel with the creek. Starting from one end or the other, you will be presented with many trails that shoot up to the upper trails in the valley. They'll either be on the side of forbidden drive or on the other side of wiss creek.

The first map presented above has a easy medium, and hard path to go on. The hard one is what is known as the loop. Its about 15 miles in length and will definitely challenge most riders of average skill. heh... OK, i'm speaking for myself cause I'm sure some people will think it's a piece of cake. Anyways, for someone that has never been to wiss before, it'll be pretty tough to actually stick to one of those loops. The trails aren't marked very well. They're marked with what is acceptable for hikers, equestrians, or bikers to ride. The good news is, it's almost impossible to get lost. if you get confused, just go down stream or downhill to get back to forbidden drive. If you go too far uphill, you'll run into residential areas. ... to far downhill and your back to forbidden drive.

If you decide to do the loop, go counterclockwise.

Generally speaking, I think the stuff on the other side of the creek (from forbidden drive) is tougher. Slightly more rocky and more climbing. the side of forbidden drive is faster.

There are a ton of places to park, but no matter where you park, take your wallet and keys with you. Lots of robberies as of late. I like to park here
    and bike forbidden drive to the other side of bellsmill and go from there. But there is parking by Bells Mill, Wises Mill Road, Valley Green Rd, by Livezly lane (off henry)....ect ect...

I've gone on long enough. have fun!

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    I may get badgered about this, but if I were you I wouldn't stress too much about the whole permit thing. if you guys are only riding there for one day, it's prbly no biggie. I've been riding in the Wiss for over 2 yrs and have never been asked for my permit. with that said, I am all about supporting the notion of it.

As for finding your way, I think the Wiss is hard to navigate from a map, but it's real easy to hop on any off shooting trail from Forbidden Drive and just ride. There's fun stuff all over the area. Prbly a little more challenging climbs exist in the upper section of the park, but you can do well just about anywhere in there

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

... and if we just ... Nice

Thanks for all the input guys. We all had a blast. There is some awesome riding to be had at Wissahickon. The trail was totally amazing, and rough. We started at Northeastern Rd. and followed the trail south until we came to the bottom around Rittenhouse. We got a little lost for awhile around the bottom but then got back on track. Some of the craziest downhill runs I've ever seen on a cross country trail. Very technical and there was always some side tricks to do. Of course I crashed on one of them. got the old handlebar to the rib.ouch. I have been riding for a year and a half and this was def. one of the tougher rides. This is up there with South Mountain Bethlehem trail. That trail killed me in only 8 miles or so, But this one had the better downhill runs, which = more fun. SM had alot of climbs but I would suggest that anyone try either trail. I would suggest that anyone who likes fun to go out there and ride this trail. We will probably go here in the future and come next time with a permit to help with the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey man, glad you enjoyed yourself. As many times as I've gone there, I still get a rush on the downhills, find new ways of spilling, and come back to my car feeling spent.

I went up to Reading a couple weeks ago and wasn't impressed. Granted, I didn't know where the best trails were, I just didn't see anything there that greatly inspired me. Actually, the view from the Pagoda was pretty cool!

Check out Bear Creek if you get the chance. They have a loop that takes you up and around the mountain with a ton of winding switch backs on the way up. And there are a couple different trail you can take on your way down as well. I think its worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

There is good trails to be had

I live less than a mile from that area and probably have rode there 15 times or more and I still don't know where all the trails are. There is alot up there. I have done numerous explorations of the area and found many many trails. good ones too. We are all headed up there this Sat. morning around 7 :00 in the morning probably riding by 7:30. I don't know for sure where we are meeting yet. If you are not from the area and never been up there you most definitly should go with someone who knows the trails or you will just get aggravated and annoyed and not want to go back. It happened to me on a few occasions then i went back and found more trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I live less than a mile from that area and probably have rode there 15 times or more and I still don't know where all the trails are. There is alot up there. I have done numerous explorations of the area and found many many trails. good ones too. We are all headed up there this Sat. morning around 7 :00 in the morning probably riding by 7:30. I don't know for sure where we are meeting yet. If you are not from the area and never been up there you most definitly should go with someone who knows the trails or you will just get aggravated and annoyed and not want to go back. It happened to me on a few occasions then i went back and found more trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm going to demo another bike this weekend and 7:00 is WAY too early for me. hehe. I could meet up with you another weekend if you'd be interested in showing me the area.?? I went up a random trail starting from Antielam lake. Crossed over List road and Angora Road and found myself at the intersection of Skyline and List roads. From there I went down the western side of Skyline drive, down past the pagoda and then down to where Shearer zig zags. At that point I was pretty exhausted and wanted to make my way back to my car. So I went along Angora and went to a trail after Haag that took me back to Angora. Before I knew it, all the land by angora was private property and I was back at my car. Bahhh..If the trails I went on were more than just straight shots up or down the mountain, I would have enjoyed myself. Anyways, hook me up with the guided tour