mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Wiss trail for beginners?

I've ridden Wissahickon dozens of times yet I'm still having a hard time at deciding where to take my friends. I want to avoid any long uphill trails that will put a hurting on your legs if you're not in the best of shape (ie the long uphill section right by bells mill on the west side of the river ). I'm either going to kick off from the top near chestnuthill college or the middle, near the Livezey st. Pavilion. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Most sections of Wissihickon are just not beginner friendly. When I ride it with my wife, I just walk the hills because she doesn't have the peddle power to make it up the steeps. The only problem is last ride some @ss hole went flying by as we walked up hill and yelled "whips, you need to practice more" and over the last year I've heard other stupid comments... but hey your in Philly the city of brotherly love!

I usually enter at Bells Mill Rd at Forbidden drive and we walk the big hill at the beginning and the rest of trail is pretty tame for about 3 miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoobieNeil
    I've ridden Wissahickon dozens of times yet I'm still having a hard time at deciding where to take my friends. I want to avoid any long uphill trails that will put a hurting on your legs if you're not in the best of shape (ie the long uphill section right by bells mill on the west side of the river ). I'm either going to kick off from the top near chestnuthill college or the middle, near the Livezey st. Pavilion. Thanks in advance!

Skip the wiss and go to pennypack. It is much easier on newbies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    if you go up wises mill road and then go left on the singletrack 3/4ths of the way up, that is pretty nice for a bit!

but really beginner fun trails are down south at places like middle run and faihill.

mtbr member
    I've never found Wiss to be beginner friendly but if your friends are open minded then I say throw em' right into the fire. In all seriousness though, a lot of the uphills aren't really leg burners (all though there are a few) but they can be rather technical with lots of rocks. Just be patient with them and introduce them slowly. Let them get a taste of riding there, but don't go into it thinking you can show them the whole park on their first trip there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    SoobieNeil, what area are you from?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    SoobieNeil, what area are you from?
    BlueBell.

In all seriousness though, a lot of the uphills aren't really leg burners
    It is if you're like me and don't go riding more than once a week! I rode about 6 miles there yesterday and My legs are definitely feeling it today.

Skip the wiss and go to pennypack. It is much easier on newbies.
    I'm comming from New Castle and 2 of my friends either live or work in conshocken. Plus I've never ridden pennypack. It sounds kinda lame from what I read in the trail reviews section?

Most sections of Wissihickon are just not beginner friendly.
    I know, but I can't resist it! haha

I was scoping out a loop to take my friends on. I found the perfect place to take them. First I must state that the trails on the eastern side of the park (across the river) have a ton of tough uphill sections that I know would give some of my friends a heart attack, So I'm going to avoid it over there. I'm talking about the area by the white indian. Anyways, My plan of attack is based on our starting point, but either way, We'll be doing the same trails. I'll start at the fire road that goes up to the Livezy pavilion and go north. That section winds around and has some mild rock gardens and mild climbing and eventually levels out. You have an option of going DH at one point for a really smooth fast down hill (dumps you right below the Inn). Instead, I'll go straight and hit up one of the newly renovated sections that Resembles what you might find at whiteclay. Lotsa rolling terrain and fun tight single track. Not a lot of climbing. It eventually drops you off onto a really brief steep downhill section by Wises Mill Rd. After crossing, you wind up right behind a apartment complex (henery on the park) and go down really steep and up really steep for a short sprint. After a little more riding, you windup here. At that point, you have (or so it seemed) exit the trail, go up and down old line road briefly to get back onto the trail. We'll take the easy way down back to hidden vally and make our way back to our cars from there. Should be a blast taking them there!

mtbr member
    Nice loop, but if your trying to get your legs stronger try the fire road for a few miles in a high gear. Try keeping a nice pace for about 5 min or so then take a one min break., and pick it up again. Every now and then try a hill. drop down into low gear and spin, spin, spin, your way up as far as you can.
    It's more technique then strength, although strong legs\core help a hell of a lot.

Good luck.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!