mtbr member

Wiss Storm Clean Up

For those who ride the Wiss - FOW is having a clean up work day Nov 3 from 9am to 1pm, meeting at Kitchens lane parking lot. Here's the link: Storm Clean Up November 3 | Friends of Wissahickon
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The cleanup meeting location has changed. It will be at the Mt. Airy Avenue trail head. Link to map: November 3 FOW trail cleanup work day - Google Maps

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Less than a week after the storm and the Wiss is in amazing shape. Can personally report there's not a single blockage between the base of summit and Gorgas. Pretty amazing. I rode the day before the hurricane hit and figured it might be my last good Wiss ride for weeks.

Much appreciation to danmer, the rest of the FOW trail crew, and any other volunteers who've helped them with the clean-up.

chk-chk-boom
    The trails yesterday were hard and fast, and I am guessing because of lots of fall hikers the leaves were all tramped down so you could see the rocks hidden in the last couple weeks. Good gob to everyone involved in chopping downed trees and clearing sticks!

Belmont on the other hand... what a mess.
    I am a professional coffee processing unit.

mtbr member
    Hikers and a shitload of bikers on Sunday. I rode early AM and then was driving out of Rox around 2pm heading toward 76 and I can't tell you the last time I saw so many cars with bikes heading out. The traffic on the trails definately chews up the leaves fast.

We definately got off easy from that storm here in Philly.

chk-chk-boom
    Riding on Sunday reminded me why I try to never ride the Wiss on the weekend. Trains of 5+ cyclists, grumpy hikers and nearly every dog off-leash.
    Last edited by geoffss; 11-05-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    I am a professional coffee processing unit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffss View Post
    Riding on Sunday reminded me why I try to never ride the Wiss on the weekend. Trains of 5+ cyclists, grumpy hikers and nearly every dog off-leash.

Although... the packs of college girls jogging is OK by me
    I hear you...I'll let you in on my secrete to riding on the weekends - obviously early is good, but that's been getting out b/c even early can be kind of crowded. One of the best times is 3pm or after - you have 2 hrs of daylight and everybody else split to go home for dinner or whatever (the light starts getting a little flat, but small price to pay for nobody around). I find the Wiss almost deserted after 3pm on a Sunday.

mtbr member
    The usage is brutal, hikers, walkers, trail runners...getting up at 6 on a weekend is not cool. Love the Wiss though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the secret weekend time; early or sundays during eagles games.

although i bet the eagles times aren't going to be as deserted as we get later into the failed season.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffss View Post
    The trails yesterday were hard and fast, and I am guessing because of lots of fall hikers the leaves were all tramped down so you could see the rocks hidden in the last couple weeks. Good gob to everyone involved in chopping downed trees and clearing sticks!

Belmont on the other hand... what a mess.
    I'll say. I rode in Belmont last saturday and whole trail sections are unrideable due to massive trees fallen...it'll take a lot of manpower to get this patched up.

Any plans to work there? I'd be eager to lend a hand.

mtbr member
    Anyone been there since the nor'easter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    Anyone been there since the nor'easter?
    Yes, the wiss is in pretty good shape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    anyone know if Belmont has been cleaned up? had heard there were many trees down.

thanks to all who healped to clean up the Wiss - trails are in great shape.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am definitely down for helping and have many tools...Machete, axes, PM me.