mtbr member

Wiss still crowded?

I'm thinking of doing a ride this weekend. I usually try and get there early to beat the crowds but am not sure how early I can make it this weekend. Have the crowds lessened at all or not really?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i would expect it to be somewhat crowded this weekend since temps will be in the 80's. honestly though i've never seen wissahickon so crowded on the mtb trails that it was an issue, forbidden is another story.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have never been to Wiss but am interested in going sometime. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it said the following:

Originally known as Upper Wissahickon Drive, it received its current name in the 1920s when automobiles were first banned from the road. As stated above, Forbidden Drive is the only trail open to bicyclists and equestrians without a permit.

Is a permit really required to ride on the trails. If so, what's involved in getting one?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgorth
    I'm thinking of doing a ride this weekend. I usually try and get there early to beat the crowds but am not sure how early I can make it this weekend. Have the crowds lessened at all or not really?
    If you are concerned about the "crowds" due to the parking or lack there of you can always park @ the movie theater on ridge ave and just ride the trails from there...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunedin302
    Is a permit really required to ride on the trails. If so, what's involved in getting one?
    required = yes
    enforced = no

http://www.fairmountpark.org/TrailPermits.asp

fyi, be aware that the "suggested donation" goes to the fairmount park commission, which doesn't mean it will ever make its way back into the parks. imho, there are other organizations where your donations will do more good.