Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Where does the cash go? Is this money going back into the park like for police protection? Or is Philly just holding the park hostage?

I think better money spent to; Friends of Wissahickon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ABud View Post
    Where does the cash go? Is this money going back into the park like for police protection? Or is Philly just holding the park hostage?

I think better money spent to; Friends of Wissahickon.
    Maybe but for whatever reason, if you're a mountain bike rider or horsey type rider, they want (actually "require" is the right word) you to have a permit. If you're a city resident, it doesn't cost any money. If you're from somewhere else, its $20 and been that way for many years. I put it up as a public service - don't endorse it or oppose it. It is, what it is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I believe there is a $25 fine for those riding without a permit.
    I also hope and dream that the money and rider data is used to better the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gt4130 View Post
    I believe there is a $25 fine for those riding without a permit.
    I also hope and dream that the money and rider data is used to better the trails.
    In the past they said that they donations would go to the Park commission while fines went to the city.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Hmm I only rode there like 4 times a year or so the last few years. Maybe if I buy the permit it will encourage me to go more.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    does anyone actually buy the permits?

mtbr member

Re: Wiss Permit Applications are up.

Don't think so. I bought one today in the hopes that it'll motivate me to ride there more, but don't know a soul who actually has one. That includes a few philly residents who would get it for free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That's the biggest question... and why permit required only for riders? Another PA sort of fee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    does anyone actually buy the permits?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Don't think so. I bought one today in the hopes that it'll motivate me to ride there more, but don't know a soul who actually has one. That includes a few philly residents who would get it for free.
    Yes. Most of the regulars have them. If you're in Philly, its free anyway. I know a few guys, myself included that make a donation of $20 or so, even though its free. May not go to the right places, but whatever, I get so much happieness/benefit out of the place and the City does maintain it to an extent (dispite how much they get bagged on).

And yes, the rangers rarely check (I can count on one hand in 14 years of riding back there the number or rangers I've seen) and I've only been checked one time. The guy was sitting on a log at the top of the monster, looked at my tag asked if I wanted an app for anybody else I knew.

Here's the issue, and it comes up every year the permits come out, Yes, it is a f^cked up and pretty useless system that targets only mtbers and equetrians, but its a rule. There are people back there who will look for your permit on your bike and make at an issue to someone i.e., FOW, FPC. The anti-mtbers will hold it up as another example on how we flaunt the rules and are just a bunch of red bull chugging locusts bombing the trails, a plague to the little old ladies, their fu-fu dogs, and the rest of law abiding society.

But hey, they give your a crappy outdated map of the park with your permit too.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    From the times I've ridden the wiss, it's not clear to me that ANYONE maintains the trails there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cholakov View Post
    That's the biggest question... and why permit required only for riders? Another PA sort of fee
    it is supposedly for riders AND equestrians.

mixed feelings about it but i sign up every year. last year i lost the permits and rode all year without it ever making it on my bike. this year i'll try harder to remember to strap one to my bike. hunter green this year not "singlespeed pink" like last year... i always get two in case i have a friend in from out of town in for a ride and i suspect we may actually need them.

i have been told (by people smarter than me and who spend way more hours than i do helping build trails with FOW) that spending money on the permits is the best way to let the city know people value mountainbiking in the parks, but honestly i think the money would probably be better spent if you give it directly to FOW.

i know they had checkpoints on national trails day the last few years. if they caught you without a permit they would give you a temporary one and a warning. that said FPC is a weird organization and they could theoretically start enforcing this at any time. i personally doubt it but especially at the wiss stranger things have happened... i'd think off leash dogs (supposedly a 100 dollar fine) would be an easier target but who knows.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I just got my two, pretty painless since I now live in the city. When I was on the mainline, it seemed pretty absurd and I rode elsewhere as a result.

mtbr member
    ouch, man you are going to get some internet flaming for that one. The City doesn't really do trail work, except when there is a major blow out like a landslide or they need to do a water control project. The City generally maintains the other stuctures/areas along Forbiddent drive. They also cut out the larger blow downs. Volunteers do the trail work and they actually do quite alot of it. The nature of Wiss make it a mess after big rain storms and the trails are in a constant state of errosion/repair/no repair.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    compared to trails I've ridden elsewhere, the JORBA trails at GCC, Ceres & Kresson, for instance, the trails at wissahickon are horrendously eroded and marginally sustainable and borderline dangerous. Not that I don't enjoy riding there, but it's a faint shade of the trail system that it could be if it were better kept.

mtbr member
    To quote someone else from the forum "Wiss is the world's funnest drainage ditch." You can't really compare it to those places because of the topography, soils, and urban run off. The trails you are talking about are flat, located in the suburbs where there is less impervious surface. But a resource like the Wiss right out your back door in the City more than makes up for the negatives. If you can ride there, there isn't many places you can't go and ride competently.

mtbr member
    I'm frankly kinda glad that wiss isn't better kept. The trails being basically what the planet has decided to give you makes riding there feel like more of an adventure. Besides imagine how crowded it would be if the trails were maintained more actively

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    don't forget the wiss gets at least 50x more use than any other trail system in the area probably. trying to keep trails nice and well groomed here is next to impossible unless you build them out of pure rock or pave them.

i think most of you not local to the park would be shocked at the hours of trail maintenance that does go on there. the STI initiative has actually put in quite a bit of non drainage ditch style trail and provides a nice contrast to the numerous fall line trails that still exist.

btw and finally, no one mentioned it here yet so FYI: your supposed to have one of these permits to ride at belmont and pennypack too! although the day i see this enforced at belmont may be the day i have to quit riding...

mtbr member
    Yes. I would hope that most do.

mtbr member
    Well that is just silly. The whole demo I and demo II areas, the new field area at the top of the monster, the re-route down kitchens lane, to just name a few, were all done with some support from the Fairmount Park Commission. Granted there are many volunteer hours there from many sources, but to say the FPC played no role is silly. And to say that the park is not maintained is ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Well that is just silly. The whole demo I and demo II areas, the new field area at the top of the monster, the re-route down kitchens lane, to just name a few, were all done with some support from the Fairmount Park Commission. Granted there are many volunteer hours there from many sources, but to say the FPC played no role is silly. And to say that the park is not maintained is ridiculous.
    not sure who you are commenting to BUT while FPC surely does support trailwork in the wiss; it is FOW that organizes the workdays and supplies the labor force that gets all the STI projects done. no other outside organizations are allowed to do trailwork at wiss i am pretty sure.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I'm not saying that the park is not maintained, just the the trails are so badly eroded that it doesn't appear to be maintained.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    not sure who you are commenting to BUT while FPC surely does support trailwork in the wiss; it is FOW that organizes the workdays and supplies the labor force that gets all the STI projects done. no other outside organizations are allowed to do trailwork at wiss i am pretty sure.
    Sorry, I hate this new system! I was trying to respond to Gigantic and his assertion that there is no trail maintenance/design.

Yes, the FOW and the PMBC (in the past) has done almost all the trail work. However, several of those trails (Demo I/II) were actually done by outside groups (an IMBA approved group) that was pain for, in part, by the Fairmount park commission. The FOW still does the main job of maintaining the trails.
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 03-23-2013 at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've been riding at Wiss for 20 years and I can tell you the trails are maintained now way better than they were in the late 90's. Back then it seemed like you couldn't ride a hundred yards without having to clear a downed tree. I'm not actually sure what you would do to groom them better- sweep up the rocks? Erosion is a problem for sure, but the irresponsible mountain bikers and equestrians riding in mud are as much to blame as improper design or maintenance. I already feel like the trails have become too tame, or more likely it's just from riding them for 20 years.

As for the permit, I live in Philadelphia and donate $20 every year to get mine. I've been stopped exactly one time by a park ranger since they instituted the system and I don't know where the money goes. The main reason I get one is so all the snotty hikers with dogs off the leash know -I'm- playing by the rules and have a right to be there.

mtbr member
    The distinction between "grooming" and maintenance is an important one - and one that I wish I had made. Thanks max-a-mill.

I do like the fact that the trails there aren't terribly well *groomed*. I appreciate the maintenance that is done there too - I was impressed how quickly it was rideable again after the hurricane, that is part of the reason I decided to get a permit this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast