mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Wiss Night Rides???

Well it's getting to be that time of year again, it's getting harder and harder to get a nice long ride in after work since the sun is setting earlier and earlier every day. So I'm interested in seeing if anyone is down for some night rides out in Wiss in a few more weeks when the light will be almost gone. Does anyone have any experience with night rides out there? Is it sketchy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    night riding in wissahickon is great. just got my first headlight last year and have don't about a half dozen night rides.

my only suggestion is don't park at one of the major park lots. you're better off parking on a street somewhere and riding into the park

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i usually ride out to the park but thanks for the heads up! have you had any issues out on the trails at night? drunk teens under the bridges? i always see fire pits and beer cans but i'm thinking that's probably more of a summer thing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    not only a summer thing but probably a late night thing and a weekend thing. i'm rarely out there later than 9pm and usually on a weeknight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to dust of my lights and hit some night rides! I love how it totally changes the trails. It's like riding a completely different park...

Trail eater

Good job!

you will love riding the wiss at night.

I was out last night with a few mates and we were having a blast. Although it was very humid ( I think I came home 10 pounds lighter) it was fun. I havent been out there in ages especially after all the trail maintenance so some sections of the trails were foreign to me.
    Nonetheless I just grabbed the handlebars and pointed the bike fullspeed ahead.

We will probably head out there again next wednesday.

Have fun mate.
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

PMBA
    Be sure to check out www.phillymtb.com for ride times at wiss. There's rides posted on the right side of page and people always post rides on the forum. We don't have and regular weekend rides but we're working on it. I've been riding in wiss at night for years and I've never had a problem with the parties that usually go on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    awesome thanks for the heads up! i'll check the postings and charge the lights!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Thursday Night Rides

Every Thursday Night
    Meet in front of Valley Green Inn
    6:30 pm.

Flyer attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

out of shape
    sweet, ill be there not this thursday but the next

if i show up will there be available lights for me to demo?
    doylestown pa
    SS cannondale F6

mtbr member
    If you are looking for group rides, the PMBA (Philadelphia Mountain Bike Association) does group rides all the time from a couple different locations at the Wissahickon and Pennypack. I read on the forum there that they have loaner lights sometimes too.

You can check it out at www.phillymtb.com
    Kenn Rymdeko
    EWR Bikes
    COO
    www.ewrbikes.com
    EWR 22 4 HE L