mtbr member
    Apr 2004

wiss - lincoln drive singletrack - wtf???

to whomever deemed themselves responsible for trail maintenance over on the singletrack on the other side of lincoln in the wiss:

first thanks for clearing that fallen birch that has been there forever. that was a ton of work and i applaud you efforts, really thanks!

but then WHY THE F*CK DID YOU THINK YOU SHOULD SANITIZE THE REST OF THE TRAIL????

seemingly as part of the same work; every decently hard log over over there was cut out by someone... why? admittedly they were hard; but people rode them. why would someone feel the need to cut obstacles out of trails someone else obviously rode and enjoyed?

to everyone and anyone who thinks they need to "improve" a trail others are obviously already riding and taking care of: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't remove or modify natural features on trails others are obviously riding. it's not your trail; please don't think you have the right to dumb it down to your level. if you can't ride a feature view it as a challenge to improve your skill. we need hard trails and unfortunately due to somebodies arrogance this classic piece of true wiss singletrack (my favorite trail in the park in fact) is now no longer nearly as challenging.

dtheo
    Sep 2005
    well said.
    no one should be doing unauthorized trail work EVER - it is just that simple.
    You don't own it, so leave it the hell alone

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    mine is a slightly less hardline stance. if your making a trail rideable again; that is great... everyone wants trails cleared after a storm or when a tree falls making a trail unrideable.

but when you cut out features other people ride? again; WTF????

those logs really tied the trail together
    Rug really tied the room together - Big Lebowski - YouTube

mtbr member
    Similar issue at Brandywine, as someone took it upon themselves to make the rock gardens easier by removing some of the rocks...he's been dealt with.

banned
    Apr 2009
    The WISS itself has been sanitized the last 2 years (especially right above the INN there)---guess it is for better drainage though (but what they did to THE WIDOWMAKER just ain't right)----now it is like 'date night')---it was a hard pass before they tamed it!!!

Yeah, you have to go to French Creek or Rocky Ridge (in York) to get what the WISS has 3 years ago!!!! I know it is better for the trail (but putting all that dirt over the rocky sections, when you got used to all those rocky sections!!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    247 this is in no way b!tching about the main trails and the efforts to redo some of them to make them more sustainable. we've been there; had that debate already.... my suggestion being if you don't like the new (main) trails get involved with trail maintenance. this is one of those places where one persons differing views absolutely COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE. You just need to be willing to attend some meetings, meet the people doing the work (nice people; and mostly passionate mountainbikers BTW), and put some time in helping.

this is about a rogue trail maintainer coming in and cutting out logs on a side trail that people were riding/maintaining to make the trail easier for some unknown reason.

my only real hope i guess is that person will read this and hopefully STOP IT...

banned
    Apr 2009
    I am just hoping the rogue trail builder is not the former VP of PMBA (the old one..)---

I am still waiting for my XL Biking Shirt from them (the one with the Liberty Bell)--the old brown one (loved that one!!)

I even thought about attending a meeting a few years ago at that diner on Henry Ave (I think??)---and wanted to do trail days (but was always between Philly and Harrisburg somewhere...)

I even thought about starting a local trail club for a Central Pa. trail that did not have any maintenance..

This year I plan on even joining a Central Pa. trail club since I am stationed here now and doing some trail days.. I just never know what my availability is from week to week...

Sadly, The only days I get to Philly are just to ride the WISS now (for a 2 hour ride..) then head back home with my bike in my car (so can't even get to the Reading Terminal Market for the Greatest Sandwich in America... not a cheesesteak by the way... GOOGLE Adam Richmond (Man v Food dude) Best Sandwich to see that one--those Interested...) but do not even trust leaving my bike Inside my car (as I do) with the back seat down..... So can only enjoy the WISS there for a 2-hour ride (cant use those few riding times I get for trail work---I KNOW that sounds bad, but that is how it is when I get to Philly!!!)

I am also an IMBA member (that is most important I think....) Everyone who rides a trail should at least contribute to IMBA....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi,

My name is Henry and I am the Project Manager with the Friends of the Wissahickon. I wanted to introduce myself as well as maybe get some more information about the complaint / rogue trail work so that I could go check it out for myself. We haven't done any maintenance south of Lincoln recently and I will check with PPR to see if they have.

Can someone explain exactly the changes that were made to the trail and a more accurate description of where they took place?

Also, if you ever have any questions about trail projects in the Wiss please don't hesitate to ask. My email is stroud@fow.org