Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wiss Conditions

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Wiss Conditions

Anyone been out at the Wiss this week? If so how are the conditions after the Tuesday snow? I was out in the snow last sunday and it was awesome.

mtbr member
    I rode 3 times this week & its awesome. 95% is packed snow with great traction. A few spots that get direct sunlight & they were bare & a little sloppy. But those should be fine today
    bike = good

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It was awesome today. Icy in a couple places but mostly packed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    please keep an eye on the temps and sun people. even if it is below freezing exposed dirt will become a muddy mess in the sun. i recommend getting up early and hitting it on mornings after it freezes before the sun can melt it all into muddy soup. and it will be muddy soup all weekend unless it freezes.

mtbr member
    Confirmed - it is a muddy soup.

As a side note; the conditions have not stopped the horseback riders. There is a ton of horseshit on the trails. Keep your mouth closed, its not just mud your inhaling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    better yet stay the f%ck off the trails and use some common sense.

sorry but it is hard to find humor with all the douchefaces that think it is OK to go and ride whenever they want and the weather happens to be unseasonably warm.

this weekend i rode my road bike and dodged way too many aggressive idiots with christmas rage. it wasn't great but it wasn't destroying my local park either... would i rather have ridden trails? SURE, but i am not an inconsiderate @ss and know how hard people have to work to repair all the ruts and damage inflicted by the weekend posse's of riders who apparently have no common sense.

please think hard next time you go ride in the mud about all the people who you are making work for, those who have to then give up their ride time repairing the trails you are destroying. buy a road bike, get some running shoes, or find a sport that can be done on pavement for a couple months of the year.

in short don't be an @ss and show some respect. no one should be anywhere near the trails this week unless it freezes up.
    Last edited by max-a-mill; 12-23-2013 at 07:04 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I don't understand why people that live in this region can't grasp the concept that you're supposed to ride on the cold days in the winter, not the warm ones.

If you have to ask, it's too wet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    If you have to ask, it's too wet.
    My philosophy is, if you're wife would complain about what you're doing to the backyard if you rode out there, don't go riding on the trails.

I love cold riding, really dense hard pack ground, and far less people on the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    better yet stay the f%ck off the trails and use some common sense.

sorry but it is hard to find humor with all the douchefaces that think it is OK to go and ride whenever they want and the weather happens to be unseasonably warm.

this weekend i rode my road bike and dodged way too many aggressive idiots with christmas rage. it wasn't great but it wasn't destroying my local park either... would i rather have ridden trails? SURE, but i am not an inconsiderate @ss and know how hard people have to work to repair all the ruts and damage inflicted by the weekend posse's of riders who apparently have no common sense.

please think hard next time you go ride in the mud about all the people who you are making work for, those who have to then give up their ride time repairing the trails you are destroying. buy a road bike, get some running shoes, or find a sport that can be done on pavement for a couple months of the year.

in short don't be an @ss and show some respect. no one should be anywhere near the trails this week unless it freezes up.
    You should post this on a horse forum. Those damn beasts have been leaving 6in deep craters all over my trails. Then, the divets freeze and my trail is worse than a cobblestone road. Horseback riders in Pennypack are much more inconsiderate to the trails than the bikers. I have grown to loath them.

-rant over.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Anybody know if the trails are packed enough to ride ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Anybody know if the trails are packed enough to ride ?
    I am also wondering. Might go out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post
    I am also wondering. Might go out tomorrow.
    Post a report, I think a lot of people would like to know...

I may try to head down for a hike just to check it out as well.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I drove down yesterday to check it out. Forbidden drive is packed down, but from what I could see the trails are not packed down that much. Looking from the VGI bridge, the climb heading south(ish) is packed, but the trail section at the upper portion of Wises Mill Road is not packed at all, just some footprints, and one set of bike tracks. That was the only set of tracks I saw. I am guessing you will mostly be riding in powder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcurtis1 View Post
    I drove down yesterday to check it out. Forbidden drive is packed down, but from what I could see the trails are not packed down that much. Looking from the VGI bridge, the climb heading south(ish) is packed, but the trail section at the upper portion of Wises Mill Road is not packed at all, just some footprints, and one set of bike tracks. That was the only set of tracks I saw. I am guessing you will mostly be riding in powder.

Thanks for the update.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Rode Sunday and even with studs it was a mixed bag. Some of the more heavily traveled trails were packed down and rideable (like the section between Bell's Mill and the Wish You Were Here bench/Indian and some of the trails over by Kitchen's Lane). Others that were not as packed down were difficult to say the least.

edit: Now with video for reference: 01262014roughedit video
    Last edited by RepoMan2112; 01-27-2014 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Those are some cool videos RepoMan

mtbr member
    Did a small recon hike yesterday (Thursday) and the trails are barely passable. Most of the blockages are tree limbs which I moved off the trails, but there was a shitload of them, about every 50 feet. I brought my hand saw too and used it. The Wiss will require a lot of man hours to be passable, and the trails aren't rideable now. There's about 2-3" of ice on top of 4-5" of powder, and it was difficult to even hike. I spent 2 hours and cleared the trails from Wigard Ave. south to the gravel road that leads from Pachella pavilion down to forbidden drive on the Rox side.

PLEASE help out, and get into the Wiss on foot and bring a hand saw and help clear so we can ride again someday. On the short section I hiked/cleared, luckily there were only a couple downed trees that will require chain sawing but they were surmountable on a bike in their current state. I am sure there are many larger trees totally blocking the trails all over the Wiss. This is going to take some time to clear so please get out and help. Plus it is very beautiful and quiet in there now, and the trees are lit up by the sun shining through the ice on the trees.

Mother Nature did a number on us this past week.
    bike = good

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the update AND the work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan2112 View Post
    Thanks for the update AND the work!
    Yes, thanks! I'm hoping to head out later today with a saw & see what I can do as well. Since I have studs, I usually try to ride in these conditions, avoiding the few muddy portions when I come upon them. Last weekend less than 5% of the trails were muddy, but there wasn't a problem with downed trees. I'll do my best to help out!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    They must not have gotten as much snow as we did in Lancaster Co... I tried to ride yesterday. Thin crust on top of a foot of snow. Despite my best efforts, I could literally not ride more than a foot.

Not even sure a fat bike would have stayed on top of that crust or not.

Please report back on the conditions. I have the itch to ride BAD. If they are at all rideable, Mrs. PD214 and I will pack up some hand saws and stuff and ride there tomorrow and help clean up a bit along the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_merchant View Post
    Did a small recon hike yesterday (Thursday) and the trails are barely passable. Most of the blockages are tree limbs which I moved off the trails, but there was a shitload of them, about every 50 feet. I brought my hand saw too and used it. The Wiss will require a lot of man hours to be passable, and the trails aren't rideable now. There's about 2-3" of ice on top of 4-5" of powder, and it was difficult to even hike. I spent 2 hours and cleared the trails from Wigard Ave. south to the gravel road that leads from Pachella pavilion down to forbidden drive on the Rox side.

PLEASE help out, and get into the Wiss on foot and bring a hand saw and help clear so we can ride again someday. On the short section I hiked/cleared, luckily there were only a couple downed trees that will require chain sawing but they were surmountable on a bike in their current state. I am sure there are many larger trees totally blocking the trails all over the Wiss. This is going to take some time to clear so please get out and help. Plus it is very beautiful and quiet in there now, and the trees are lit up by the sun shining through the ice on the trees.

Mother Nature did a number on us this past week.

Pm me next time you're heading out the wise to do some work. Looking forward to riding when the weather cooperates and don't mind helping out.

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm going to try to remember this winter if I start complaining about how hot, humid, and bone-dry dusty the Wissahickon is this summer. Temps in the 50s this weekend? What a mess it'll surely be.

Looking forward to more of this kind of day:

mtbr member
    Hey, I'm loving the sections the cross country skiers have been through. Least I think it's them. Looks like someone went through with an 18 inch wide snowblower. Nice, neat track cut through the snow. Other spots are hike-a-bike, but still having fun. Hoping the high temps this weekend just mean wet and slushy, not thick and muddy.

mtbr member
    Repoman, that is a cool video, it actually shows how techy those sections of the Wiss are...you smoothed through them nicely btw. Even after all these years, I still find the sweet spot on the rock by the golf green hard to find, which is what make the Wiss so great.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

meh?
    Nicely done on that rock part about halfway through. My tires usually slip there.
    Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan2112 View Post
    I'm going to try to remember this winter if I start complaining about how hot, humid, and bone-dry dusty the Wissahickon is this summer. Temps in the 50s this weekend? What a mess it'll surely be.

Looking forward to more of this kind of day:

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast