Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wiss Conditions

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Please stay off the trails when its really muddy. Seems like the refreeze may be to our advantage this coming week though.....Pine barren trails were sweet today- almost 60 degrees and no snow no ice!!!

mtbr member
    Road south on the east side from Valley Green to Lincoln Ave and back up the west side. Best snow ride yet this year. Very little hike-a-bike and only a few small spots of mud which were easily avoided. Great day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsqueri View Post
    Road south on the east side from Valley Green to Lincoln Ave and back up the west side. Best snow ride yet this year. Very little hike-a-bike and only a few small spots of mud which were easily avoided. Great day.
    Dude, that is great news! This weeks freeze may be the best thing to ever happen!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    Nicely done on that rock part about halfway through. My tires usually slip there.
    The line on the right is better if the conditions aren't bone dry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Dude, that is great news! This weeks freeze may be the best thing to ever happen!
    Absolutely. If we have a thaw It'll be a mud pit for a good long while. The snow takes some getting used to and you have to accept a little (or a lot) of hike-a-bike, but I'll take it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Was out there for about 3 and a half hours today, it was mostly great. Not too much mud, although there was a little in the bare spots. For the vast majority though, the trails were snowcovered. Super slick ice in some spots. Heading up towards the Indian from Bells Mill was VERY slick. Walked a lot of it since I dont have studs on my tires. Heading down from the Indian towards VG was pretty great. Went up Wises, then to the left behind VG. That was mostly great, although the snow was deep and tough to push through at times.

Crossed over the creek and that was mostly pretty good although we didn't do all the trails because it was getting late. Finished going up Mother through the meadows and down the Monster. That was rough, the big climb was brutal as the snow was not packed and very tough to slog through. The meadows were the same, slow and tough. Going down the Monster was like a Luge track.

One more note, Forbidden was a nightmare. A virtual skating rink with deep ruts. I fell twice getting a tire stuck in a rut. So stay off forbidden for now because it is not so much fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I can't add much more to that other than "studs if you have them!" I really regretted taking the lazy route and not mounting them. While the trails are certainly rideable without them, there are lots of spots on the crests of rocks that are thick chunks of ice that can make climbs pretty dicey. A lot of the stepped areas, for instance. Coming off Bell's Mill at the parking lot and heading towards the Indian along that heavily traveled trail, that section of steps between the little bridge and the Wish You Were Here bench was superslick to say the least.

Here's a short video showing the conditions on 2/25:

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Nice vid... you can really see my back tire sliding back and forth when we were going down the monster. Also I like how you can see me slam my front tire down in disgust after I spun out on the ice on top of The Rock.

mtbr member
    Wow; I never would have guessed there'd still be that much snow out there! I'm really regretting not going out on Sunday; I assumed it'd be a mud pit. With this cold front, I guess it's safe to assume this weekend will still be the same. Guess I'll be mounting the studs back up for Sunday!

mtbr member
    Wow, really crunchy as well but it looks ridable!

mtbr member
    Wow, just had awesome ride! I used my studded tires that I made 6-7 years ago at least, which I don't think you could ride now without. It is pure ice and crunch covered in a dusting of fresh. That is in the 12" wide main line. Off line it's deep and crunchy snow. I only hit one or two bare spots, very small, and they were almost frozen. I was able to ride 99% of the trails from Gorgas to the Overlook on the Rox side. It was real nice to get out! I haven't used my studs for at least a couple years, and it was a great time investment back when
    bike = good

mtbr member

Homemade Studs: best decision ever

Rode for 4 hours today on homemade studded tires (80 or 90 in the front, and about 120 screws in the rear. Very heavy on the road, but not noticeable in the trails). Trails are still 95% snow & ice, but the screws in my old tires gripped better than I could have hoped for. In fact, by the second half of the ride, I was taking chances & pushing as hard as I dared, and still had a hard time finding my limits! Combine that with perfect temps and clear weather, and it was one great day for a ride.

More snow tomorrow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiss Conditions-screwing-tire.jpg  

Wiss Conditions-front-tire-screws.jpg  

Wiss Conditions-rear-tire-screws.jpg  

Wiss Conditions-giant-trance-ice.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice tires! Also, cool shot of the ice.

mtbr member
    Well, it's been real, winter. I must say that, despite all the snow, we managed to have a lot of ride-able conditions this year, but we may be waiting quite a while for them to return. This past Sunday (yesterday), the sunny-side was mostly mud, requiring crawling speeds between the ice patches to tread lightly. On the shady side, there was still full snow cover, but it was soft and without substance, again forcing a slow pace, and making technical riding impossible. With up and down temps & more rain in the forecast, it seems like it'll be at least a few weeks before things get good again.

mtbr member
    I actually drove around the Wiss today to check it out and was surprised to see bikers out. Saw a guy coming up the trail on Summit Road (as I was driving past and another guy on the chestnut hill side.

From the road, the trails looked wet and messy. Can't believe people would be stupid enough to go out in these conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    some people around here are dumb as f*ck!

it mighta been kinda good by this weekend but with rain and the freeze predicted tonight i have a feeling all the idiots going out this weekend will be rutting the trails up real nice...

a bit of it is newb's who don't know better; but there are also lots of seasoned riders out there who feel entitled to ride whenever they want... one of these days i would like to set up a lawn chair on a muddy day (maybe get a few folks; possbily a cooler of adult bevvies?) and just heckle all the a-holes. probably wouldn't help.

how's forbidden btw, for anyone who's ridden it? wondering if it will be passable for commuting friday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    some people around here are dumb as f*ck!

it mighta been kinda good by this weekend but with rain and the freeze predicted tonight i have a feeling all the idiots going out this weekend will be rutting the trails up real nice...

a bit of it is newb's who don't know better; but there are also lots of seasoned riders out there who feel entitled to ride whenever they want... one of these days i would like to set up a lawn chair on a muddy day (maybe get a few folks; possbily a cooler of adult bevvies?) and just heckle all the a-holes. probably wouldn't help.
    I drove through at ~1 pm and again at around 5pm and saw people both times. They were not newbs but rather normal MTBr's. I don't think people understand the damage they are doing to the trails when they ride in those conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    there is some old school mentality that for some reason that wiss is OK to ride whenever. probably held over from when all the trials were an usustainbable rutted out mess and it probably really didn't matter much...

on top of damaging the trails (especially the newly built ones) it is pure hell on your components to ride in those conditions.

i'll be the first to admit road biking kind of sucks but it is just what you need to do if you want to ride this time of year. well that or batsto...

i live right off the meadow loop and the ruts and mud holes people have created riding there when they shouldn't is just unbelievable. they went from some of the best draining trails to some of the ones that hold the mud the longest all due to people riding ruts into them and making sinkholes where water just sits (which of course people then feel entitled to ride around).

caring about the trails in the wiss is like living in an abusive relationship. no matter what you do; the next beating is coming sooner or later.

maybe it is doing some good talking about it here? i hope so!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Unfortunately the few that give a **** are heavily outnumbered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    update?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I hiked yesterday for a couple hours. I started on the Roxborough side at Roxborough Ave and hiked down to kitchen's lane bridge. It was pretty muddy with muddy stretches outnumbering the dry about 3 to 1. Crossed over to the CH side and hiked upstream to VGI. It was drier over there, but still some muddy stretches. I saw two bikers for the 2.5 hours I was out. I only came across 2-3 sections that still had some snow/ice/slush on them. The hill going down to creisham creek was still all covered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I went out yesterday. Wises through the meadows and down the Monster were in good shape. Some mud here and there, but not too much. Bells mill up to the indian and through to VG was the same, good conditions and fun.(the exception there being the short part right along the creek near bells mill).

Went back up wises to do the section behind VG, and it was pretty messy so I bailed out on that pretty quick. Did not do the Mt. Airy side, but I also heard that it was pretty messy over there.

So short version is the top half of the park is pretty good, bottom half not so much. If it stays above freezing now until weekend though, it might be pretty good.

mtbr member
    Drove down to the Valley Green and walked around a bit. The trails actually looked in better shape than I expected. Did not see anyone ridding but i think spring could be coming...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ridable tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It was awesome today. Rode the whole park. No mud, everywhere is awesome right now. Go ride.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast