Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Wiss Conditions

6K views 72 replies 23 participants last post by  glorth2 
#1 ·
Anyone been out at the Wiss this week? If so how are the conditions after the Tuesday snow? I was out in the snow last sunday and it was awesome.

#39 ·
Well, it's been real, winter. I must say that, despite all the snow, we managed to have a lot of ride-able conditions this year, but we may be waiting quite a while for them to return. This past Sunday (yesterday), the sunny-side was mostly mud, requiring crawling speeds between the ice patches to tread lightly. On the shady side, there was still full snow cover, but it was soft and without substance, again forcing a slow pace, and making technical riding impossible. With up and down temps & more rain in the forecast, it seems like it'll be at least a few weeks before things get good again.

#40 ·
I actually drove around the Wiss today to check it out and was surprised to see bikers out. Saw a guy coming up the trail on Summit Road (as I was driving past and another guy on the chestnut hill side.

From the road, the trails looked wet and messy. Can't believe people would be stupid enough to go out in these conditions.

#41 ·
some people around here are dumb as f*ck!

it mighta been kinda good by this weekend but with rain and the freeze predicted tonight i have a feeling all the idiots going out this weekend will be rutting the trails up real nice...

a bit of it is newb's who don't know better; but there are also lots of seasoned riders out there who feel entitled to ride whenever they want... one of these days i would like to set up a lawn chair on a muddy day (maybe get a few folks; possbily a cooler of adult bevvies?) and just heckle all the a-holes. probably wouldn't help.

how's forbidden btw, for anyone who's ridden it? wondering if it will be passable for commuting friday.

#42 ·
some people around here are dumb as f*ck!

it mighta been kinda good by this weekend but with rain and the freeze predicted tonight i have a feeling all the idiots going out this weekend will be rutting the trails up real nice...

a bit of it is newb's who don't know better; but there are also lots of seasoned riders out there who feel entitled to ride whenever they want... one of these days i would like to set up a lawn chair on a muddy day (maybe get a few folks; possbily a cooler of adult bevvies?) and just heckle all the a-holes. probably wouldn't help.
I drove through at ~1 pm and again at around 5pm and saw people both times. They were not newbs but rather normal MTBr's. I don't think people understand the damage they are doing to the trails when they ride in those conditions.

#43 ·
there is some old school mentality that for some reason that wiss is OK to ride whenever. probably held over from when all the trials were an usustainbable rutted out mess and it probably really didn't matter much...

on top of damaging the trails (especially the newly built ones) it is pure hell on your components to ride in those conditions.

i'll be the first to admit road biking kind of sucks but it is just what you need to do if you want to ride this time of year. well that or batsto...

i live right off the meadow loop and the ruts and mud holes people have created riding there when they shouldn't is just unbelievable. they went from some of the best draining trails to some of the ones that hold the mud the longest all due to people riding ruts into them and making sinkholes where water just sits (which of course people then feel entitled to ride around).

caring about the trails in the wiss is like living in an abusive relationship. no matter what you do; the next beating is coming sooner or later.

maybe it is doing some good talking about it here? i hope so!

#46 ·
I hiked yesterday for a couple hours. I started on the Roxborough side at Roxborough Ave and hiked down to kitchen's lane bridge. It was pretty muddy with muddy stretches outnumbering the dry about 3 to 1. Crossed over to the CH side and hiked upstream to VGI. It was drier over there, but still some muddy stretches. I saw two bikers for the 2.5 hours I was out. I only came across 2-3 sections that still had some snow/ice/slush on them. The hill going down to creisham creek was still all covered.

#47 ·
I went out yesterday. Wises through the meadows and down the Monster were in good shape. Some mud here and there, but not too much. Bells mill up to the indian and through to VG was the same, good conditions and fun.(the exception there being the short part right along the creek near bells mill).

Went back up wises to do the section behind VG, and it was pretty messy so I bailed out on that pretty quick. Did not do the Mt. Airy side, but I also heard that it was pretty messy over there.

So short version is the top half of the park is pretty good, bottom half not so much. If it stays above freezing now until weekend though, it might be pretty good.

#48 ·
Drove down to the Valley Green and walked around a bit. The trails actually looked in better shape than I expected. Did not see anyone ridding but i think spring could be coming...

#55 ·
I was out early saturday before the rain started and it was in good shape. That was a ton of rain this weekend though. I am going out this afternoon to check it out, it drains pretty quick there and it was windy yesterday so there is a shot it is rideable. I will post up an update later.

#60 ·
Did a short 5 mi ride yesterday and proved I am out of shape. Riding the street here and there over the winter doesn't help much. Does anyone meet up and ride? I am beginner/intermediate and have no trouble with most of the hills once I start getting out there a couple times a week.

#63 ·
Since having a baby, I only now get out on weekend mornings at the crack of dawn. Maybe starting late in June, I can get out on a weekday ride.

Night riding is great. Magicshines are cheap enough to get decent light without spending a boat load of cash.

#64 ·
"@Goldberm: When do you ride? I would love to see that Norco in person."

I haven't ridden Wis in years, but trying to again since last fall (tha's when I bought the Norco). I'm located in Huntingdon Valley and usually ride Pennypack.

I usually have a narrow window (weekdays and/or weekends) to get a ride in which is why I stay more local.

The shop I bought my bike (Philly Bikesmith) hosts Sunday morning rides at the Wis. I'd like to make it to one of those once they start back up.

#66 ·
@Goldberm: next week I might have the 29er sold. I am asking about your bike because I am torn between 5 bikes if I can ever get my 26er sold. If I get only the frame sold, then I am stuck buying another 26er and am torn between 2 bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.