Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Wiss conditions?

Just wondering if there is still snow on the trails.
    Thanks!

Freshly Fujified

Try this

Philadelphia Mountain Bike Association (www.phillymtb.org) has a forum that is specific to Wiss. Almost daily you can count on someone reporting conditions.

http://www.phillymtb.com/component/o...d,33/board,2.0

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Trail eater

no recent update

theres been no update since the snowfall.

max, how was it out there when you rode?
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    theres been no update since the snowfall.

max, how was it out there when you rode?

the place is great if you can catch it below freezing, but as soon as the ground warms up IT WILL TURN INTO A DEEP MUDDY SOUP AGAIN

please stay off the trails this weekend when it is expected to warm up...

the ruts were unbelievable below the snow when i rode wednesday night (roxborough side). people are definitely out there riding without any regard for the trails.

DON'T BE ONE OF THOSE GUYS

all it takes is common sense; if your making ruts and there is mud everywhere GO HOME.

there are enough idiots who don't know any better (or who just don't care) out there already.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    the place is great if you can catch it below freezing, but as soon as the ground warms up IT WILL TURN INTO A DEEP MUDDY SOUP AGAIN

please stay off the trails this weekend when it is expected to warm up...

the ruts were unbelievable below the snow when i rode wednesday night (roxborough side). people are definitely out there riding without any regard for the trails.

DON'T BE ONE OF THOSE GUYS

all it takes is common sense; if your making ruts and there is mud everywhere GO HOME.

there are enough idiots who don't know any better (or who just don't care) out there already.

AMEN to that!
    im sure there are going to be a number of morons thinking "hey it 53 degrees out we can finally ride!!" well ya cant the trails will be a disaster - lets not give the people who want us "off the trails" any more ammo

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    here is a picture taken yesterday on the new demo section of trail on the roxborough side...

one would think common sense would tell you not to ride in conditions like this...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    here is a picture taken yesterday on the new demo section of trail on the roxborough side...

one would think common sense would tell you not to ride in conditions like this...
    you would think! but i am not suprised anymore by the LACK of common sense people have . ...i would guarentee that there jacka$$es out there today - the 1200 pound horses dont help either...ughhhhh

mtbr member
    I have no idea why these bozos can't just stay off the trails until they dry out. I saw a bunch of idiots heading into Pennypack this morning. The roads were barley dry by 10, what makes them think the trails would be any drier? I headed over to ask them if they were really considering riding offroad, but by the time I turned around they were gone. I can't wait to run the trails tomorrow and see all the damage.

mtbr member
    Can't disagree with staying off until the trail firms up a bit. But what is with the horses? I went for a run this am (trails were partially frozen and surprisingly pretty firm, but like corduroy from the ruts made Sunday) there were hoof prints everywhere. Even when the trails are dry, a horse is like taking four garden hoes to the trails. There were spots where the horse must have literally post-holed down the trail for twenty yards.

mtbr member
    Well, the problem with horses or rather horseback riders, is that they are 6' up in the air and don't experience and negative side effects from mud, manure or anything else us, simple mortals, experice down on the earth...

dz
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!![SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

mtbr member

what about forbidden drive

what about the main path is it still wet?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Common sense only tells that to those who are ecologically and/or aesthetically-minded, and sensitive to erosion issues and its impact on the user conflicts that continue to exist at Wissahickon, Max.

Simple fact is that, to a great many 'recreational' riders, riding in the mud is fun. Couple that fun with the warmest weather we've had in months and, frankly, to most kids within pedalling distance of the park (among others), a romp in the mud is a no-brainer.

Sure, it's unsightly, but I can't say that I've never gone for a ride in the slop. The only way to curtail it is to *enforce* the park rules, beginning with ROUTINE PERMIT ENFORCEMENT, and by physically closing any trail that's 'too wet' to ride w/ ropes, signs, etc.! But, seeing as how they're under-staffed already, I think it'll be a while before we see anything to that end.

The funny thing about 'rules' is that I know there used to be a list of 'rules of the trail' on the Permit application, and that one of those rules prohibited riding on 'wet' trails. But I can't find it on the 2006 copy on-line, and no such prohibition is stated in the Fairmount Park Rules & Regs. Only thing pertaining to bikes on trails is the usual 'yield to all other users except during sanctioned bicycle races'.

So, then, if there's no specific rule prohibiting it, and no signage or *anything* to educate or deter people from riding through the slop, riding in the mud becomes a purely ethical matter w/ little (perceived) consequence for the 'average' person pedalling a bike through Wissahickon - while banging your head here does little more than preach to the proverbial choir.

Sorry.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    trails have done an amazing job of drying in most spots!

i am gone ridin tonight in a shrtsleeve shirt and shorts and can't wait.

clyde - yesterday (tuesday) forbidden was still VERY wet in spots but bone dry in others.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I rode today and it is 95% dry...I just walked around the very few soft spots.

Looks like raining is coming though....

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Hoping the rain holds off so I can possibly get a ride in this weekend.

Trail eater

Upset stoopid rain always be messing up my fun

thats so typical. As soon as things begin to dry up we get more rainfall just to keep us from riding

Stymie and I rode belmont last night assuming it would be in great condition. Well it was pretty dam dry in most spots (always a patch here and there thats always moist) but what was more disturbing was that people just cannot wait. There had been quite a few riders out there earlier than they should have leaving ruts in the soft singletrack that belmont is so famous for. If they would have waited until say early yesterday arvo or later last night it would have been a spectacular ride.

nonetheless and this is slightly off-track but Im noticing more and more dog shyte everywhere. Its really starting to piss me off. You should have heard the filth come out of my mouth and not to mention its hard work getting dog crap out of huge nobby tires on a bike that sits in my lounge room.

people pick up after your doggy or at least the very least throw some freakin dirt on it.

Enough ranting, I need coffee.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    but Im noticing more and more dog shyte everywhere
    I could be wrong, but it seems to coincide with snow... like the dog craps and it sinks into the snow so the owner figures "ok, it's hidden, that's good enough." Dopes.

Inbred Homebrewer

people pick up after your doggy or at least the very least throw some freakin dirt on it.

Enough ranting, I need coffee.

Heh. My dog always craps off-trail, and she's never been to Belmont OR Wiss., so - no blaming me!
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Further to what Stick said, I always crap off-trail, so there is no blaming me either!

Trail eater

too funny

Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    Further to what Stick said, I always crap off-trail, so there is no blaming me either!

yes but that said what about the animal you left behind (luckily in the crap box) in the carpark out at blue marsh
    The thought of riding past one of your grogens terrifies me. I may aswell throw myself off the bike when I come across one!

So if sticks dog doesnt poop out at belmont or wissa that leaves....only a million or so people left to strike off my list

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    maybe if it snows just little enough AND freezes just enough i MAY be able to enjoy belmont for a few hours EARLY tomorrow morning before it thaws...

this time of year not ruining trails does really take patience and planning.

RANT: to many no respect hacks over at belmont these days. beginning to be like "little wissahickon"... if you want to go f@ck up some trails join the crowds over at wiss...

mtbr member
    Any updates? I was thinking about getting my wiss on this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgorth
    Any updates? I was thinking about getting my wiss on this weekend.
    Well, as in yesterday (Tuesday), it was sweet and fast. As in know is wet and muddy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaballoLoco
    Well, as in yesterday (Tuesday), it was sweet and fast. As in know is wet and muddy.
    I think Thurs and Fri are supposed to be dry but cool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i think you'll be golden by saturday so long as the rain really does hold off between now and then!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast