Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Wiss 10/24 around noon

Anyone available to provide tour guide for two of us around noon? I am staying with my Brother in Downingtown Friday, and thought we could ride the Wiss on the way out of town. Unless, people think that the Marsh Creek trails in Downingtown are better? My Brother's wife says that her friends prefer that area. If it works out, we're riding Jim Thorpe on Friday morning on the way down.

I haven't ridden the Wiss trails since the mid-90's and I am sure that it is much different now. It would also be helpful to let me know where to park, as I have heard that some lots are safer from break-ins than others. Hoping to find some great technical terrain.

Thanks!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog
    Unless, people think that the Marsh Creek trails in Downingtown are better?

No way. Wissahickon or harmony hill (and surround areas) are way better than marsh creek.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It's just a matter of opinion... Wiss is fun, but gets a lot of publicity because so many people ride it. I live pretty close, but it's not my favorite trail.
    It depends on what type of riding that you like to do.Wiss has lots of ups, downs and techy lines. Marsh Creek has more of a XC feel to it, but still techy. Harmony Hill is more like Wiss with lots of ups and downs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you go to the Wiss., you should park in areas of high pedestrian/car traffic and not at the more remote lots. My prefered parking spot is Northwestern Ave near the stable (only because it is the closest for me to drive to). Other good options are the Valley Green Lots, near the Inn, by the creek but not in the upper lots (too secluded and a high risk of break-ins). I would avoid Bells Mills, especially the lot by the creek. If you have to park there, go to the upper lot and park in the spaces closest to the road.Other shady spots are the lots near Rittenhouse town, off of Lincoln Drive. Other good options are in the neighborhoods with Trail access (Livezy Pavillion).
    If its a nice weekend then expect alot of other bikers, hikers and equestrian traffic. If you can do friday, that a better option to avoid other trailusers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougr
    If you go to the Wiss., you should park in areas of high pedestrian/car traffic and not at the more remote lots. My prefered parking spot is Northwestern Ave near the stable (only because it is the closest for me to drive to). Other good options are the Valley Green Lots, near the Inn, by the creek but not in the upper lots (too secluded and a high risk of break-ins). I would avoid Bells Mills, especially the lot by the creek. If you have to park there, go to the upper lot and park in the spaces closest to the road.Other shady spots are the lots near Rittenhouse town, off of Lincoln Drive. Other good options are in the neighborhoods with Trail access (Livezy Pavillion).
    If its a nice weekend then expect alot of other bikers, hikers and equestrian traffic. If you can do friday, that a better option to avoid other trailusers.
    Thanks for the info Dougr. Is there a map with those area you mentioned, so I can find those entrances that you were talking about. Good points on security though. My friend and I aren't too worried about our personal security, just the truck's when we're not there. I suppose that we could ride the Wiss on Friday late morning and then do Jim Thorpe on the return visit Saturday. I figured that there would be more people using the park on Sat, so there would be less of a risk to break-ins.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you look at the reported break-ins on Everyblock, most of the recent events took place on the weekend. The lots most affected were the parking lot on Bell's Mill next to the stream and the lot on Lincoln Drive. I wouldn't worry too much about a break-in. The last reported break-in was over a month ago. Hundreds of cars park in the Wissahickon every day and don't get broken into. The lot at Pachella Field is often suggested as a safe place to park. It is at the intersection of Livezey and Henry Ave.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think theres a map at phillymtb.org. Try this link. I think it goes to a download:

http://www.phillymtb.org/images/stor...09rallymap.pdf

I might try to get out there on Friday if work allows. What time would you be there?

mtbr member
    Well, now the Mrs. & my buddy's GF may come down. That will change this whole trip. We're supposed to "talk about it some more" later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looks like Friday and Saturday are gonna be a cold, washout. Local rainfall predicted to be heavy and 100%, 1/2 to 3/4 inches with temps in the mid to high 40's. Saturday 50% chance of rain with temps in high 40's. Trails will be in no condition to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougr
    Looks like Friday and Saturday are gonna be a cold, washout. Local rainfall predicted to be heavy and 100%, 1/2 to 3/4 inches with temps in the mid to high 40's. Saturday 50% chance of rain with temps in high 40's. Trails will be in no condition to ride.
    Unless you have some really sofisticated weather software, we're talking about different weekends.
    But yes....that would suck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oops!
    Just assumed it was this weekend you were talking about. Didn't read your original post carefully enough.
    Hopefully next weekend will be better!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you figure out where your gonna park, I'll try to join in on the ride.
    Trestle Bridge Racing

mtbr member
    In looking at the maps, it doesn't look like Henry Ave and Livezey Lane intersect. They appear to be on opposite sides of the park. So, is there parking off Henry, or am I better off driving around to Wissahickon Ave and then to Livezey Ln?

We should be "there" closer to 10:30am.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Try parking here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...nia+19128&z=16

But, turn into the gate by the baseball/soccer fields and park by the Pavilion. Several trails entering the park.
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looks like its between Crease and Valley on the west side of the park. Livezey actually does not go through the park but picks up again on the west side. You don't want to park on Livezey on the east side. I've never parked at Pachella field so I can't five you guidance there. I think your best bet is either Valley Green by the creek or Bells Mills at the hill lot on the west side. Valley Green is easier to find via Wises Mill road (off of Henry) from the west side. The east side access is sort of hidden and roundabout.Bells Mills can also be accessed from Henry. parking is on the right going downhill about 100 yards before it crosses the creek.
    If its not raining I'll try to get there (Bells Mills) by 10:30. Silver StumpJumper HT with a Kelty hydration pack. FYI, I ride slow, especially on climbs!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog
    In looking at the maps, it doesn't look like Henry Ave and Livezey Lane intersect. They appear to be on opposite sides of the park. So, is there parking off Henry, or am I better off driving around to Wissahickon Ave and then to Livezey Ln?
    There is a Livezey Ln. on the Roxborough side of the park. I suspect that the two roads were connected long ago.

Here is a link to a map of the intersection.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.018411&z=16

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Dude, I would try to park at Northwestern Ave. This is the safest place to leave your car and it's all the way at the top of the park. If your buddy and his GF are coming, I'm assuming she can ride pretty tough. The Wiss is not the hardest place out there, but it will eat up people who aren't in pretty good shape. Lots of steep climbs and some of the downhill sections can be pretty scary to less experienced riders.

Also, if you are riding on the weekend, be prepared for lots of other users. We typically avoid this place like the plague during the weekends. Night is by far the best time to ride here.

For a more freindly, but way fun, xc experience, look into White Clay or Fair Hill in DE and MD respectivly. They are not very far, under an hour from Downingtown, and are much more fun for riders of all levels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    White Clay works for me too.
    Agreed that it is a more beginner friendly area with lots of fun for advanced riders too, just amp up the speed and hit the skills section (easy thru this too for novices).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack
    Dude, I would try to park at Northwestern Ave. This is the safest place to leave your car and it's all the way at the top of the park.
    Actually, it is not the safest place to park. There have been 11 reported break-ins since the beginning of the year. The Pachella field parking lot only has 1 reported break-in. The reason why Northwestern Ave. gets more break-ins is because it is much closer to the Best Buy in Plymouth Meeting. Thieves break into cars to steal your credit card and head right over to Best Buy to buy a large screen TV. It takes them about 10 minutes to get to the store from Northwestern Ave and about 25 minutes from Pachella.

mtbr member
    Well, no chicks are joining us, so we can ride where ever we like. I have been to WhiteClay Creek this past summer, and it is way different than I'm used to riding...fairly flat and fast tread surface. We have rocks and huge roots up here, and legitimate steeps. I am excited to see the steeps down there. Now, if only the weather holds up. Still not sure on where we are going to park, but my brother will help sort out the crime and steer me in the right direction. Probably in the area of Livezey Ln though.

If I can't get the tires put on the truck on Friday, maybe we'll ride WCC then. The only reason that I want to ride the Wiss on Sat is because it is on the way back out of town. If it is going to be crazy crowded, then maybe we should drop the Wiss idea, and just ride Jim Thorpe trails.

FWIW- I'm rocking a Chumba EVO with a Lyric, and my bud is on a Cannondale Prophet with Pike. I am driving a bright blue Toyota Tundra Crew Cab with a custom plate.
    Last edited by Scottandhisdog; 10-22-2009 at 02:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just heard from some other riding buddies and it looks like we will be riding the Wiss, starting at Bells Mills, 9:30am Friday. If you can make it by then, you are welcome to join us. Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday looks like rain.

mtbr member
    Yeah, this weekend's weather doesn't look so hot. We will be leaving Binghamton around 11am, so we won't be able to join your ride. It looks like Friday is the only day that area might be spared, so this Sat ride should probably be canceled. Maybe we'll ride there this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Forecast doesn't call for rain until this evening so you should be good to go for a ride in the afternoon. 1" to 2" tomorrow.
    have a good one!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Trails were in great shape today. Hope you had a good ride!

mtbr member
    Yeah, we got a good ride in on Friday. A guy named Doug (jacked airline pilot) gave us a tour on the west side of the park. We were running short on time, so we only did a 2 hour ride, but I was impressed with the terrain. Now I know what you mean by climbs. We made the mistake of heading down to the rail trail once, and of course had to go back up some nasty rocky stuff. Lots of cool little natural rock features to get some air on.

On the way back, we made a wrong turn and ended up on something that is closed to bikes. There was only a sign at the bottom of the trail, and since we started up top, we didn't know. Crazy switchbacks with must stick lines along cliffs. A jogger repremanded us, and then wished us luck, and now I know why. Good stuff there, and thanks for all the input.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast