mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Wintergreen Gorge (Erie) trailhead?

Is there a trailhead or a place to park and get on the Wintergreen Gorge trails? I can see the trail from the Bayfront Highway Bridge but have no idea on where to get on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Believe it's called Cooper Rd.

The trail itself is pretty short. You do a brutal climb for about 20 min, trail ends, and you turn around and are back in about 90 seconds. Watch out for dogs and kids.

Disc Golfin Mountainbiker
    Cooper Rd is really just E38th st extension and small parking at the bottom. The road up and back is the boring road part. There are more trails to the overlook and surrounding area (some of the old trails are gone now due to the huge BFE parking lot and res. halls.) Watch out on those trails also for roots, steeps, dropoffs, CLIFFS!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jra146psu
    Cooper Rd is really just E38th st extension
    Well 38th street ends and Cooper Road begins at it's end, but it is, indeed, still Cooper Road in Harborcreek Township.

Another place to park to access those trails is the parking area in back of PSU where the GE locomotive replica is.

mtbr member
    I was at PUS this past weekend and found some newer trails I entered in by the felds it was worth the time lots of little single tracks

poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007

More trails are all around there but they need some love

There are trails that run right along the creek on both sides as well as the trails that jeeptree is mentioning by the fields. There used to be a great trail that started in a washout from the fields down to the pipe that runs along the creek that flows through the giant cement culvert at the main intersection just below campus.

Years ago there were some neat freeride features in the four-mile creek bed upstream from the pipe, but they have fallen apart as far as I know. There was one large skinny that shouldn't decompose for another 50 years though if you look.

Also, there were trails a while ago across Jordan road from the maintenance building, now I just dont know.

There is a lot more than 21 minutes and 30 seconds of riding to be done there.
    Keep Your Scene Tight!
    Grow your trails long not wide.