mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Whoa. Ice fishing and fat bikes? We just might have to make this trip. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I wanted to bring up this thread again as a reminder ( winter trail days )1-12-13 is right around the corner.I was thinking there would have been more views & replies of this thread from people who would have wanted to demo a fatbike. There will be a lot of other free demo stuff & things to do as well .If ya never been to prompton you should check it out, see ya there .

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I would like to come, but the weather looks kind of iffy. Supposed to be warm next week

Wizard of the Trail
    Will they have Surly Moonlanders there? What size bikes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    Will they have Surly Moonlanders there? What size bikes?

Not sure,but Sicklers is a sponsor and they are a Surly dealer as well as Salsa.
    You might want to contact them.>>>>Locations - Best bikes and gear online Shimano SRAM Mavic Look Avid FSA CamelBak Salsa

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    With temps in the 40s to 50s by the end of the week will there even be enough snow to XC ski?

Just wondering, although my car looks like a sporting goods store right now, mt bike, skis, hockey skates, fishing poles. I'm sure I won't be bored, prolly just end up mt biking a loop if snow is gone wrong by then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    We saw the segment on Wnep's PA Outdoor Life last night. This event does look interesting. I am considering running up there on Saturday just for something different to do. The warm weather that is forecast does concern me though. Some of my family is considering coming along too. We do have our own snowshoes. Just not sure there will be any snow left to use them. The fat tire bikes sound tempting to try out as well. Just afraid i will end up wanting one more then i already do....

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by dliquid1 View Post
    The fat tire bikes sound tempting to try out as well. Just afraid i will end up wanting one more then i already do....

You will.

mtbr member
    I want some buffalo balls..

Here's the segment that aired on tv.
    Prompton State Park Winter Trail Day | WNEP.com Scranton / Wilkes-Barre / Hazleton

wounded knee
    I so wanted to go to this event, unfortunately I now have a commitment for Saturday that I can't blow off.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Update please...

...how much snow is there in the fields for XC sking? How much on the trails? Rideable with regular mt bikes or Fat Bikes only?

Thanks!

Wizard of the Trail
    Weather forecast doesn't look good last I looked. Calling for rain all day Friday. Hopefully we don't get it.

mtbr member
    The ice fishing part of this has been cancelled due to the lack of "safe" ice on the lake.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by TORQUE-29er View Post
    The ice fishing part of this has been cancelled due to the lack of "safe" ice on the lake.
    Why not, they were doing it at LSP the other day. I have pics. LMAO! Crazy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    As of Friday afternoon only a few hit & miss showers , still 5' -8 " of snow on the ground .The snow is probably going to be soft for XC sking ,but snowshoes should be ok .Fatbikes I think may work better then reg Mtbikes but it will all depend on how the snow is on saturday.I know on the back side the snow was real deep last week so it may be snowshoes would be the way to go,so we will see. KP

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Thanks for the updates and a great time today!

Prompton SP is a super park to visit, better yet to pull into the parking lot and see them all full in the winter season. So much going on, hundreds of people out in the nice weather. There were lots of booths to stop by and learn about everything from Fat Bikes to Ice Fishing. I never saw so many Fat Bikes in one place. A constant flow of people looking to see what this new sport was about, and Dave, Zack, and Louie from Sickler's had the demo running smooth.

Snow Show Shoeing, XC Skiing and Winter Camping were all on stage to view with really friendly people who would answer your questions! The trails were really tough with the snow holding so much water, but it didn't seem to bother anyone fun was the workd of the day.

Great food was a highlight too, thanks to Dave for the chili dog, and water bottle, plus the demo rides!. I'm sure there will be lots of pictures on the Friends of Prompton website as there were lots of cameras roaming about.

I met lots of friendly people, thanks to all who made it happen, KP your da Man!, and the staff of Prompton SP.
    Can't wait till next year!

mtbr member
    May 2009

Successful day!

The Winter Trail Days was a success! It was great to see such a wide variety of people outside in January learning about new sports and the gem that Prompton State Park is. Thanks everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter trail day @ Prompton-img_1006.jpg