Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. Winter Camping/Riding Friday/Saturday 1/20-21/12.Hunlock Creek area, Interested?

Thinking of...

...doing a winter camp/ride Friday night into Saturday morning.

This will be primitive camping and we will have a fire as it is allowed, you must be self contained.(tent or not your choice) Depending on weather/my schedule I might bump this up a week or two, but I will get it in, hoping for a snow base.

Camp da rOCKs...
    ...snow knows

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    riding yes, camping ... er ... maybe not so much.

brrr.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I likes ridin, but I ain't Crazy! Bring lots of Moonshine!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Just practicing for the 12/21/2012 change of the world...

...maybe the Mayans meant there would be 110 volt receptacles in the forest to plug the Amish heater into!

If not the Buffalo robe will work as it did before electricity, only now they cost as much as your mt bike!... LOL

Plan B, I always winter camp with a Pyromaniac!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Looks like...

... I got my wish "snow camping"

mtbr member
    I will definitely do a snow ride tomorrow but I think ill pass on camping with old man winter
    . Gonna head to the bike shop after work for some wider more aggressive tires and alot of tubes.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by flying pumpkin 185 View Post
    I will definitely do a snow ride tomorrow but I think ill pass on camping with old man winter
    . Gonna head to the bike shop after work for some wider more aggressive tires and alot of tubes.
    I was talking to Chris today and he said you were looking for a Pugs, I knew you were hooked.

Where are you guys planning on riding Saturday?
    And what time?
    Make the time real big so I see it!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Not sure who is going but let's call it NOON @ Da mOOn. As long as dirtrider6 blazes the trail
    on the pugs.

wounded knee
    Not sure who is going but let's call it NOON @ Da mOOn. As long as dirtrider6 blazes the trail
    on the pugs.
    Cool, I just got my new GoPro 2 camera today, cant wait to try it out.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Success...

... rode quite a bit before snow got deep, exploring old logging roads, the mt bike light went dim...

...back at camp cleared a nice area, backed by a high bluff, built a fire pit with rocks on the bottom for sustained heat, got to try out my fire starter I prepared last week made from cattails and sumac, burns like gasoline, added a bit of hard wood logs, then cooked some soup, cold sandwiches, delicious...

...tent worked great for a non winter tent, made sure the bottom was insulated from the ground with a heat blanket. I camped by the bluff and the fact it wasn't windy helped. Did a bit of reading(Dirt Rag & MX Action) what else of course... LOL...

...the excitemant of the night came next as I was visited by 3 coyotes after about 2 hours, they stayed 100 yards away and didn't spook even with my light shining on them, but they wouldn't come closer, old indian trick lots of garlic and pine needles that are green coverig the fire burns kinda smoky in the fire, don't know if that works but why not...

...I have read coyotes will survey the situation for a while then move on figuring there is nothing wounded or dead to to eat, and I was careful to hide all traces of food very well. They could smell very well, I am the alpha animal, and they realize the threat is to them and not me! Very smart critters...

...glad they were around as they will follow bears looking for seconds, and since I ws still breathing figured no bear was around. Even knowing it is winter and bears hibernate, bears will awaken and roam around at times, and bears have no problem walking right up to you tent as they are then the alpha animal... LOL Listened carefully to hear the snorts of a bear but none arrived, only sniffing coyotes...

...figuring I would give the coyotes a bit of education, as I'm sure they never had a mt biker follow them it would be new dimention for them. I rode out to the top of the hill overlooking Rt 29, but with the snow, not much of a view, but very warming as it is a steep climb! Coming back down was a blast snow flying everywhere. Had a feeling the coyotes would circle around and visit my campsite, but no paw prints!

Rested a bit more and headed out to the road packing up to head home, travel really sucked as nothing was plowed yet!

This worked so good want to expand with more ideas next time!

wounded knee
    Sounds like a exciting night, glad you had fun
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Very good job Lee, you're more stalwart than I!

wounded knee
    on the pugs.
    Link to the video from the ride.

A day in the life of a Pugsley
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Hey d6 glad to see you found your rear mount camera. What a cool vid. Thanks.

wounded knee
    Glad you like it, Dozer is like a little kid in the snow, puts a smile on your face just watching him
    It was right where I thought it was when I went over that rock, the seat post bottomned out and snapped it off the mount, took a steel rake on Sunday and raked out the snow and there it was
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    I can't believe we passed over it four times and didn't see it. Yeah Dozer loves the snow. Took him hiking out Francis Slocum yesterday and he was having a blast.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

This Friday night camping is not much of a challenge...

...50 degrees in January, different locale tough will make for a change!