Rider and Wrench

Williamsport Area Trail info...

Hello- I am going to be trying to sneak in a ride sometime the end of may while I am in town- I have not ridden in the area since I ran cantilever brakes I remember them smoking at the bottom of the Goat path) needless to say it has been quite a while- I am hoping for some guidance on some decent trails available- Ryder Park? Grampian Hills? Water Auth-

I have searched a bunch of threads in hopes of finding some sort of trail map for the Water Authority (or somewhere else nearby) so I can figure out a decent loop that I can ride and make it back in a few hours ( I wish I had all day to just explore but just donít have the time...). If anyone might have something even a simple sketch that might help I would greatly appreciate some guidance-

Thanks-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    Hello- I am going to be trying to sneak in a ride sometime the end of may while I am in town- I have not ridden in the area since I ran cantilever brakes I remember them smoking at the bottom of the Goat path) needless to say it has been quite a while- I am hoping for some guidance on some decent trails available- Ryder Park? Grampian Hills? Water Auth-

I have searched a bunch of threads in hopes of finding some sort of trail map for the Water Authority (or somewhere else nearby) so I can figure out a decent loop that I can ride and make it back in a few hours ( I wish I had all day to just explore but just don’t have the time...). If anyone might have something even a simple sketch that might help I would greatly appreciate some guidance-

Thanks-
    The WMWA watershed is a great place to ride, I was up there about 2 weeks ago and everything was looking good.

When you get to the visitor parking by the filter plant, you'll notice the bulletin board at the end of the lot. Behind the board there's a box with a clipboard where you can sign in, and maps of the watershed. There are no mountain bikes allowed on the Blue Bird trail, which goes north from the lot, but everything else to the west is fair game. The Raccoon Mountain Trail is blazed with a green diamond with black arrow, runs for 6 miles, and is probably the easiest trail to ride. The 2+ mile climb up Remington Road leads around Mosquito Reservoir, I think about 12 miles total.

Some notes:
    1. The WMWA map is wrong, the summit trail leading from the 7 mile loop trail terminates at the summit and does NOT continue back down the mountain to Remington Road (I know it used to). Ask me how I figured this out. It involved frustration, wandering aimlessly, and the use of a compass.

2. I have reason to believe the WMWA has been using trail cams to catch trespassers, so tread lightly and don't pass the signs.

3. If you're going out for a whole day, there's a bunch of trails northeast of Hagerman Lake on the other side of the power lines (take Hively Road out there), although I haven't explored them. There are a few that lead back down to Rt 554, but I believe the area is posted.

4. I made a quick map just in case there are none at the bulletin board. The yellow loop is quite enjoyable, and I recommend it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Williamsport Area Trail info...-wmwa.jpg  

Rider and Wrench
    Hey bu5hx thanks for the heads up, - I am hoping to meet a few guys there that know the trails but not sure if our timing will work out so this should at least give me a pretty good idea-

Thanks,
    knott
    I Just wish I could ride more!