mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Williamsport area single track???

I'm pretty new to the area. What's my best bet for good singletrack riding around Williamsport? I've heard about the Water Authority but when I went out there it looked like mostly fire road and the singletrack I saw had a lot of foot traffic on it.
    Did I overlook something?

I'm willing to drive an hour or so, and I don't really want to poach.

thanks.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Lots of stuff out that way.

Google any of these

Potter county
    Asaph area
    Bald Eagle sate forest
    Susquehannock state forest
    Sproul state forest
    Kettle Creek state park
    Pine Creek rail trail
    Laurel classic mtb race

Look on:

Mountain Bike Pennsylvania - Mountain biking trail guide for Pennsylvania and surrounding areas!
    (click on the trail guide)

Pa state forest site also
    PA*DCNR*-*State Forests

Pa state parks site
    PA*DCNR*-*Pennsylvania State Parks

PA*DCNR*-*Biking

Pa game lands designated routes, not saying these are great, but just more info.
    State Game Lands

mtbr trail reviews:
    mountain bike trail reviews: Mtbr.com

If your into travel, Moon Lake is about an hour away. 30 miles of designed mt bike trails We like to call it heaven, don't know if you will but worth a try. Hit it up on Google or here on mtbr, lots will come up.

Bald Eagle is about 30 minutes (to Mile Run parking) Big place.
    Parking
    Trails
    Geisinger is about 40 minutes.
    Parking
    Trails

Rolling on 650b
    Yup, gotta ride Bald Eagle. Make sure to hit Cowbell Hollow, and Top Mountain if'n ya like rocks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Great, thanks! I'm trying to sneak a ride in tomorrow if the rain holds off.
    So is the water authority pretty much like I thought? Lots of fire roads and not too much single track?

How about Hyner? My wife did the Hyner challenge a few weeks ago and it looked like there could be some good riding up that way. I grabbed a couple DCNR maps of the area but I'm not sure whats open to bikes.

Last edited by jonz; 10-27-2013 at 04:56 AM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Pretty much you nailed the water company land, I have ridden that on the dual sport days. I guess in a pinch it would be fun on an MTB. I think the name of the trail is "Basket Maker" might try a search for that one.

I can tell you from doing the National dual sport ride for many years on Motos in that whole area there are countless trails and paths we ride, figuring out which one's are open and legal on non dual sport days for mt bikes would be a task.

Rattlesnake Run behind Hyner is a great downhill, but ends at the river and making a loop would mean shuttle, cause you don't wanna ride back up Hyner road. There is a way back up further towards Farrandsville, but again a climb only that one is on dirt.

I ride Moto trials at Farrandsville, more towards Lock Haven and the Queens Run area is another area of vastness.

One does come to mind as a really fun day a few years back for me, lots of ferns and a brown ribbon of dirt!

Eagleton Mine Camp Trail | Pennsylvania | PA | travel information | hotels | attractions | visitPA

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Part of having a sock puppet is to argue with yourself, not others!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That's how it was where I lived in Western Colorado. (And no, I didn't move here with the gas industry). There were tons of well known -and might I add epic- trails about 1.5 hours away, but some of the best riding I've ever seen in my life was on some very little known trails on BLM land about 20 minutes from my door. It took me a few months to find out about the trails, but I put in some time hanging around at the brewery across the street from the bike shop and that got me plugged in.

It doesn't help that there's no bike shop in Williamsport (or is that a secret too?). Guess I have some exploring to do.

I'm not familiar w/ bike shops in W-port, but if you can drive down to Lewisburg and get to know the guys at Campus Cycle and Fly Fishing Center. They'll show you Bald Eagle. (ps-I don't work there)

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

The Bike Gallery in Lock Haven.

The Bike Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bike-Gallery

Country Ski and Sport) Montoursville
    Country Ski and Sports - Home

The Bicycle Center in South Williamsport

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-B...08735312505902

...and there was another by Logue's Honda, name slips me though. It was right on the rail trail section that uses the paved road access.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cool. I'm in the Nippenose Valley, just south of Williamsport. Bald Eagle isn't far from here. Good to know there's a shop in southside. I've driven past the shop in Muncy a few times too (Marty's?) but haven't stopped in yet.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

I dug through old notes and the Farrandsvile info,

Biking in Central Pennsylvania;

Graham Road: Cross the railroad tracks in Farrandsville, first road on the left. This is a forestry road that follows the West Branch Susquehanna River. The river will be on your left, any trails to the right go up and around the mountain and many loops can be made. Some of the stuff I have been on(but not in order of occurrence) include Rattlesnake Run, Dark Hollow Twin Spring, and Oak Ridge. They go to the top of the mountain basically behind Hyner and have great views of the river. You can make continuing loops further and further out, and you can return to Graham Rd. to get back to Farrandsville. I seem to remember Graham Rd. being a 21 mile stretch from Hyner to Farrandsville, but I might not be right on the mileage.

Farrandsville is right across the river from Lock Haven.
    Enjoy

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks.

I'll probably head to Bald Eagle tomorrow. I'll be on a hard tail, so I probably won't try to ride cowbell hollow my first time out there.

I'll post a review or something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    I rode Top Mountain and Cowbell Hollow, reviews are up.

Moon Lake looks like a hoot, and not too far. I'll have to make it over there soon.

mtbr member

Re: Williamsport area single track???

A year ago or so, one of the guys from Campus Cycle (lewisburg)showed me around Bald Eagle. Tons of riding out there.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Shoot me a PM before ya come to mOOn... ...would be glad to show ya around or at least point in the right direction!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks! Will do.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Somebody took a huge dump on the side of the cowbell hollow trail and left wet wipes all scattered around. It was so ill. Is that normal around here? Pooping right beside the trail I mean...

mtbr member

Re: Williamsport area single track???

Gross, thankfully I've never seen anything like that.:what:

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Might be a new "American Standard"...
    ...minus the toilet...LOL

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hope you're enjoying Williamsport so far. I don't know a lot about the trails around here yet as I have been a roadie for a while and finally ordered a mountain bike. Looking forward to it. There are a lot of mountain bikers in the area. Check out the SVVC bulletin board. - SuSValVelo Board. People post rides there, mostly road rides this time of year but more mtb rides soon. There are some mountain time trials etc and some cross rides too. The Bicycle Center in S Williamsport is great. Bought all my bikes there. I live in S Williamsport and will probably be riding though Nippenose valley tomorrow morning. I'll wave as I go through so you know who I am. Send me a PM sometime and hopefully I can help introduce you to some of the other riders.
    Rob

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Rider Park, up Warrensville Road. I've been hitting that pretty regularly lately. Little Bear Road, up 87 has some nice trails kicking off of it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Geisinger is about 40 minutes.
    Parking
    Trails
    Question on those maps - thanks for posting the link by the way - it looks like they are race maps: are all those trails open and rideable? How is it finding your way around there- trails marked, etc.? I have to be up that way for business and am going to try and get a ride in.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wednesday nights there is a regular group ride in Bald Eagle state forest leaving from the RB Winter area at 5:00 PM. Now that daylight is fading faster we have moved from our normal meeting spot at the parking lots near the camp grounds at RB Winter to the shale pit on Black Gap road just off the intersection of Black Gap road and McCall Dam Road. If you plan to come at this time of year you will need lights as it gets dark around 2/3 the way through the ride. We usually do 10 to 15 miles of mostly single track with some fire road connectors.

If you aren't sure how to get there you can meet us at Earl's Bicycles Shop at around 4:00 and follow us up.