Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983

    Wilderness 101 - Is it on for this year???

    Hey guys, is the Wilderness 101 gonna happen this year? I'd really like to do an ultra endurance race and this may be the only one I can fit in. Is it on and if so is there registration available on some site? Please let me know. Thanks!

    Ryan H.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: raoul duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    103
    http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/h.../w101_body.htm

    This is what I found on it. Anyone up for racing a tandem in it?

  3. #3
    Now broadcasting from CO
    Reputation: PAmtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,215
    must register soon... before the cheap(er) price goes away...
    Brought to you by rocks.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    534
    pretty sure a tandem did it last year.


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    23

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,412
    Rob L ('Vegan' Rob) and his wife did it on a tandem last year, I think

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: justriding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    223
    Wow, and a rigid tandem no less. That is some sick ****. They run that race on a decent amount of rocky central Pa single track. Doing it on a rigid has to be just brutal. The 101 is no joke; my feet were numb for about three days after that race.

  8. #8
    Now broadcasting from CO
    Reputation: PAmtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding
    The 101 is no joke; my feet were numb for about three days after that race.
    I can't wait
    Brought to you by rocks.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983
    I can't wait either. I'm registered...

    Ryan H.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    29
    The tandem pictured is not vegan Rob's. There were two tandem teams last year. There's video of vegan Rob going though the three bridges rock garden. The video might be available at nittanymba.org, or someone there will know how to get at it. The team in the photo has been there the last two years.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    534
    i think you're looking for the ancient one's smugmug gallery. that should have the videos on it.

    http://the-ancient-one.smugmug.com/Biking

  12. #12
    Now broadcasting from CO
    Reputation: PAmtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,215

    Registered...

    and very excited! Now I need to start training so I don't implode, explode, and spontaneously combust at around mile 50... I want to do it in somewhere around 10 hours... I think that's achievable... Note: this is my first 100 miler...
    Brought to you by rocks.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    225
    Thanks for the heads up on the early registration. I just registered at the early rate. Last year was my first W101. I really thought I was going to DNF at about mile 75. My longest mountain bike ride prior to the W101 was about 40 miles. I managed to finish in daylight. My feet were fine but I had numb fingers on m left hand for about 3 weeks.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    Note: this is my first 100 miler...
    I'll be right there with ya. It'll be my 1st 100 miler. It'll be my 2nd endurance event though. Did the 24 Hours of Allamuchy solo last year and had a blast.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider
    Thanks for the heads up on the early registration. I just registered at the early rate. Last year was my first W101. I really thought I was going to DNF at about mile 75. My longest mountain bike ride prior to the W101 was about 40 miles. I managed to finish in daylight. My feet were fine but I had numb fingers on m left hand for about 3 weeks.
    What are the average times? What's a fast time? Slow time?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by XC62701
    What are the average times? What's a fast time? Slow time?
    Here is a link to last years results http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/h...verall_w-m.htm

    Fast, slow, average, it is all relative to your fitness. Hopefully mine is better this year. For me, being able to stay hydrated and eating properly will be one of my main concerns this year to improve my time.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XC62701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider
    Here is a link to last years results http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/h...verall_w-m.htm

    Fast, slow, average, it is all relative to your fitness. Hopefully mine is better this year. For me, being able to stay hydrated and eating properly will be one of my main concerns this year to improve my time.
    Sweet...I checked out the results. If I can break 12 hrs that would be nice.

    Ryan H.

  18. #18
    Prez NMBA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    719
    the weather last year was really tough, very hot and humid so thats why there were so many dnf's. not that its an easy race anyways, but last year was just brutal compared to previous years

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: justriding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    223
    With regard to the hydration/nutrition thing, the best advice someone gave me before the race was to make sure I ate every hour; eat from the start and even when you're not hungry and have to force it down. Plus eat some of the real food a/k/a the pb&j sandwichs at the aid stations. I ate about a whole box of Clif bars during the race (couldn't look at a Clif bar for months afterward). It kept me from bonking though. You are still going to be in the worst pain of your life, but at least you won't bonk.

  20. #20
    Now broadcasting from CO
    Reputation: PAmtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding
    With regard to the hydration/nutrition thing, the best advice someone gave me before the race was to make sure I ate every hour; eat from the start and even when you're not hungry and have to force it down. Plus eat some of the real food a/k/a the pb&j sandwichs at the aid stations. I ate about a whole box of Clif bars during the race (couldn't look at a Clif bar for months afterward). It kept me from bonking though. You are still going to be in the worst pain of your life, but at least you won't bonk.
    Good advice... I wonder if I could strike a deal with the race organizers so that I can work around my food allergies (dairy, eggs, & nuts). If I could get them to put a special soy nut butter and jelly sandwhich for me at any aid station that has PB&J's my food situation would be much better off.. I wouldn't have to carry them... I hope I can work that out because they seem to be pretty strict with the "2 bag only" rule... let the training begin!!!
    Brought to you by rocks.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding
    Wow, ... The 101 is no joke; my feet were numb for about three days after that race.
    This is one race that is way more enjoyable to watch than to ride in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •