mtbr member
    May 2007

Wilderness 101, who else is doing it?

My girlfriend (fiancee actually) and I are doing the 101. She's done it several times before, first time for me. Who else is going?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am doing it.

I am concerned about the tire choice at the moment.

from the times, it looks to be a fast race and I want to run a fast tire, but am concerned about the rocky singletrack.

Another concern is the weather. I hope it isn't one fo those 90 degree days with high humidity.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Weather is a concern. Although we're more concerned about all-day soaking rain. Showers are OK, but not soaking, mud-making rain.
    My fiancee told me the first 70 miles are doubletrak, it's the last 30 miles that are singletrak.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The road to trail ratio is about 65/35, but its pretty well mixed in, the bulk of the single track comes between check point 3 and 4. Rain doesn't effect the course, but it will turn your chamois into sand paper so plan accordingly.
    Right now there are a few minor course changes in the works but the final route isn't determined. Suffice to say that the trails will come earlier in the race and that check point 1 will be in a different spot. The second climb of the day will be a kick in the teeth.

mtbr member
    Is this the same 101 that encompasses the Coburn area that included the railroad bed and tunnel, Old Mingle Road, Milheim Pike? I rode that segment, about 25 miles of it, a couple of times now and really love it.

To those doing the race, good luck and enjoy and be safe!!

Kev

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It is that W101, although the sections that you mention are some of the few that remain from the original course that was run 89-92.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

Frank:

Do you need a hand? Planning on attending with a few friends to cheer on some buds who are racing, but I could lend a hand at a station. Where's the first aid station Penn Roosevelt? What time if you need us? If not I'm sitting my big A88 in a raft and do the loop, wanna join me? LOL!

So is Jeremiah Bishop registered? How about Price? Should be a battle! Those guys smoked Tinker last year.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey Lee,
    We can always use more volunteers, if you want drop cathy at mountaintouring dot com a line, as she is coordinating the volunteers. Due to the gas line work, We aren't going through Penn Roosevelt this year, actually have opened some new trails to take the course through Colyer lake. (Can you see why I have been a slacker about summit follow up? 10 hours of trailwork a week is the same as training time, right? I love the smell of mix gas.)
    As for who is registered, I am not actually sure, but I believe Eatough and Harlan are in and I believe some of the other heavy hitters as well.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

Frank:

You - DOG - you had a 2 stroke party and didn't invite me? I thought I heard the distant whine of a high RPM 2 stroke...

Ping ping ping ding ding ping ping waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Hey, if ya think of it bring a Purple Lizard map with ya I will buy it. I don't know where mine went, besides I need a new one!

OK, Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    save your money, Herm is printing a new one this fall in a bigger scale and on Tyvek, with the new cooper's Gap and other additions included.
    Oh, and I am out of them anyway...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mnwfrank
    Hey Lee,
    We can always use more volunteers, if you want drop cathy at mountaintouring dot com a line, as she is coordinating the volunteers. Due to the gas line work, We aren't going through Penn Roosevelt this year, actually have opened some new trails to take the course through Colyer lake. (Can you see why I have been a slacker about summit follow up? 10 hours of trailwork a week is the same as training time, right? I love the smell of mix gas.)
    As for who is registered, I am not actually sure, but I believe Eatough and Harlan are in and I believe some of the other heavy hitters as well.
    Am I heavy hitter?

Colyer Lake.....that's in the neighborhood of Tussey Mtn right? Wouldn't that be fun.....might have to leave the fix at home this time 'round.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    hitting the pipe heavily maybe.
    No Tussey Mtn surprises sorry.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I see changes are being kicked around over at nittany's website. As far as the beginning -
    Pine Swamp Road, Plantation Trail, Kerstetter Trail, Deep Low Place and Tower Trail are clear as of a week ago or so and would add bonus miles at the beginning.

Just my 2 cents......

HopHeads, Unite!
    hitting the pipe heavily maybe.
    Aren't you supposed to be running a bike shop?

brett
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    deep low place and tower trail are high on the potential list. Spread folks out before the decent on mountain church.
    As for running a bike shop, doesn't this nonsense count?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

I'm in!

This will be my first go at this too. So while you guys are making route changes, please don't make it too much more difficult for us first timer, old guys, thanks.

I did the Stoopid to get a feel for the area and must say after that race I was real concerned with trying the 101. But I've been told that if you can do the Stoopid you can do the 101, I guess I'll know soon enough if that is true or not.

One week away and ready or not, here I come.

Does anyone know what time camp opens at Coburn on Friday?

Thanks.
    Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

HopHeads, Unite!
    As for running a bike shop, doesn't this nonsense count?
    Well, if we're talking nonsense, then this fits right into running a bike shop. Carry on.

Wish I could make it up for the 101, especially with the route changes, but gotta go to NC for a wedding.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    as far as Friday goes per mountaintouring's site

Racer Check in Friday 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Coburn Park.

mtbr member
    Since it sounds like there are a few 101 vets here, may i ask a couple logistics questions? I am coming up with 2 buddies for the 101. This will be the first W-101 attempt for all 3 of us. Can you guys help us out by going into some logistics of the race?

Basically, we have been curious about the water/aid stations for one. Will there be water at these stations for us to use? Like big coolers where you can fill a camelbak/water bottle? On that note, do most people use bottles or baks? For what it is worth, we are sport and expert riders who are used to running water bottles, with which you can drop and pick up new ones each lap of a normal XC race if you like. I am curious if this practice is used for such a long race. I'm sure everyone has their method, but any thoughts? Also, how many drop stations can you have gear/food/whatever at? Do you guys change gloves or bibs or jerseys or anything like that? I'm sure it depends heavily on the weather. Will any of the aid stations have floor pumps just in case you limp in with a soft tire? Ahhh, so many unanswered questions for this rookie.

Thanks to any and all for any info. We really appreciate it.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    there is definitely water at all the aid stations, the first one usually just has water and maybe some heed or something but thats about it. The rest have water, gatoraid and I think Heed. they also have pb&j sandwiches along with lots of other munchy type food. Most of the stations have floor pumps but I wouldn't count on it.
    as for camelbak vs bottles, im not sure what the split is but theres definitely people that do both but it tends more towards camelbaks. actually i would say a majority have water in the bak and some sort of drink in bottles. im not sure the number of drop bags you are allowed but ive seen everything you have mentioned in some but certainly not all. Chris does a great job with all the ligistics and the volunteers at the aid stations are always very helpful.

mtbr member
    great. thanks for the info. this helps us out in a big way.

see you all there!

Now broadcasting from CO
    meeeeeeeee!!!! looking forward to my second go around... must beat last years time...
    Brought to you by rocks.