mtbr member

Wilderness 101 for first 100 miler?

Hey guys I'm just curious to see what you think about this being my 1st 100 miler. I'm a pretty stubborn rider and my longest ride to date was 95 miles in the 24 hours of Allamuchy. I'm wondering how this race could compare.

Ryan H.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by XC62701
    Hey guys I'm just curious to see what you think about this being my 1st 100 miler. I'm a pretty stubborn rider and my longest ride to date was 95 miles in the 24 hours of Allamuchy. I'm wondering how this race could compare.

Ryan H.
    You may wanna try posting over on the Nittany MTB Association forums, someone over there may have some input. I think those guys are pretty involved with that race (participating, volunteering, organizing...something). Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I did the Wilderness 101 last year as my first 100 miler off road. My longest ride previous to that on a mountain bike was about 40 miles. I had completed dozens of road centuries prior to that ride. I completed the W101 in daylight but it kicked my butt. If you have already done 95 miles in a 24 hour race you probably would have no problem with the W101. It is an extremely well organized and supported race. Good luck and maybe I will see you there this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think it would be ok. I did the W101 as my first 100 and i had only done 60 miles prior. I had a goal of 12hrs and beat that with 10:34. It's alot of climbing so spend plenty of training time in may,june and july in the hills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i tryed a google search for this race cuz it sounds like something i might be interested in. all i came up with 2006 results.

is there a link for info on the 2007 race?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by too40sx
    i tryed a google search for this race cuz it sounds like something i might be interested in. all i came up with 2006 results.

is there a link for info on the 2007 race?

probably won't be specific info for '07 for a few months yet.

there is a date though, and the race is the same course every year so you should be able to get a good idea of what your getting yourselves into....

i have heard from someone who has done all these races that the SM100 is the funnest. so that is where i am gonna try to pop my hundred mile cherry this year... it being in september, it also gives me all summer to not get in good enough shape...

here is a list of ALL the races in the nutjob series this year

http://www.usmtb100.com/MX/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    oh yeah, i meant the date of the SM100 not the W101.

don't show up in state college in september lookin to race...
    Last edited by max-a-mill; 01-10-2007 at 09:14 AM.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    ...it being in september...
    JFYI, according the website's tentative schedule it appears that the W100 is August 4th this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If you've done 95 mi in a 24 hour race, you should be able to give the 101 a try. The race is very well supported by the local cycling community with five well-stocked and staffed aid stations. There is a significant amount of climbing and plenty of single track, but it's worth the effort. I did my first 101 in 2004, and it was my first offroad century.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Flimsham, i say!

sorry, i just had to do that. you know why.