mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Wife needs female instructor....Philly area....

Hi all,

My wife (actually my fiance), Allison, 39 and athletic, recently started mountain biking with me. She's eager to learn and has some of the basics down, but doesn't trust her skills or the bike and tends to get intimidated by the terrain. I'm looking to find her a female instructor that can work with her a bit on a one on one basis to help her get over the hump (literally and figuratively). We are located in the Lower Bucks County burbs of Philly. We ride Mercer, Core Creek, Washington's Crossing, Pennypack, and occasionally Idlewood.

Can you help? Experienced female riders only, please respond. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

JAR Trail Betty Clinics

Quote Originally Posted by sbermhb
    Hi all,

My wife (actually my fiance), Allison, 39 and athletic, recently started mountain biking with me. She's eager to learn and has some of the basics down, but doesn't trust her skills or the bike and tends to get intimidated by the terrain. I'm looking to find her a female instructor that can work with her a bit on a one on one basis to help her get over the hump (literally and figuratively). We are located in the Lower Bucks County burbs of Philly. We ride Mercer, Core Creek, Washington's Crossing, Pennypack, and occasionally Idlewood.

Can you help? Experienced female riders only, please respond. Thanks.
    Jersey Action Riders mountain bike club has female only skills clinics and group rides. They call themselves...TrailBettys. Try contacting the folks there from their website.

JERSEYACTIONRIDERS.org click on RIDES on the tool bar. Hope that helps. Bob

mtbr member

Don't spend your money

Your wife doesn't really need an instructor for the trails you mention. If she goes easy she will develop the necessary skills rather quickly. Idlewood, however, has a nice downhill with loose rock & gravel that leads to the Neshaminy. She should avoid this until she has more confidence. But there are other loops there to enjoy. She should probably stick with Core Creek & Pennypack. There are no suprises there. She will see every obstacle in sufficient time to dismount if necessary!

Maybe I'll see you on the trails!