mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Why Do You Ride The Wiss.?

I am a new rider, as some of you may know by my previous posts. The only park I ride now is the Wiss. (Mostly Forbidden Drive for endurance and the Demo Trail to get used to technical stuff). By riding the Wiss. I have seen a lot of the philly riders on the trails and I want to know what is it about the Wiss that attracts you to it?

I'm not looking for 'because its technical' and 'the trails are good'. I'm looking for genuine reasons why the Wiss means so much to you. This is probably more of a question for regular Wiss riders, but if you have riden it and have an opinion I'm curious to read it.

I love the park because its a close getaway from the stresses of everyday life - like work and school. Why do you go to the Wiss? What does the park do for you?

don't tread on me
    Jun 2004
    It's kept me from packing my bags and moving back to the Front (St)Range or Western Slope of Colorado for 10 years now. Oh yeah, it's close to where I work so that's good. Great way to meet other riders in the area too.

Karl

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what you're asking for here. It's one of the best trails I've ever ridden and I've ridden trails in New England, Idaho and Colorado. There are a lot of technical and very technical sections but I can clear most of it. There is enough climbing to give you a good workout but there is also a great deal of flow and fast sections so you get repaid for the climbing and working the technical stuff. Really, almost every trail I've ever ridden except for a couple in Crested Butte pales in comparison.

mtbr member
    I am a new rider also. Me and a few friends from work ride there at least once a week and we just started riding "the other side" of the river. It is a bit more technical but is a lot of fun. I like to ride there because it gets me out with my friends, is close to work, and also gives me some much needed exercise.

mtbr member
    At times the valley can be a very pretty place...one of the real reasons I enjoy riding there. Decent amount of wildlife...both animal and human Plus I just enjoy riding with my friends after a sh@$!y day at work!

OH and here is ih2007 just across from VG

------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey there,

I've been riding out there for over 10years now and have bought a house one block away!!!!

I think the Wiss is just classic east coast riding and have never wanted to stray far from it.

-scoon

mtbr member
    I first rode Wiss. in '91 w/ my Kestral Z11 when I was visiting friend's living in Philly after I graduated high school. The next time I rode Wiss. was '95 w/ my Klien "Rascal" after I moved back to Bucks County from various states in New England. I continued riding there regularly until I moved back to NH/VT in '03. Once again, I relocated back to Bucks C. in '05 and hit Wiss. hard w/ my Rocky Mtn. "Element Race" using the park as a training ground for the upcoming race season. I polished VG w/ my coverted "Rascal" into singlespeed( 34/16 ) in '06. Shortly after, I moved to North Carolina, where I believe is the ultimate mtn. bikers playground for the East Coast, "Pisgah Nat. Forest". Now, to this day, with all of the places I have travelled and lived, I still think about riding @ Wiss. because of the raw character it holds inside me. I will be coming back shortly to visit and the first place I'm hitting is VG.
    Dude,Man,Guy...Did you see that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I love the Wiss what other City has such an extensive trail system within the city limits? I love that I can get out of CC and feel like I'm nowhere near the city! Not to mention the trails keep getting better and better...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Because there is not much else to ride if you live in the philly suburbs. Also, it is not bad. Won't ride on the weekends because of way too many people.

2000cx, what trail is that? Must be the angle but don't recognize the trail. So many of the trails at the wiss are getting too tame and it is nice to still see some good size rocks in the middle of the trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    2000cx, what trail is that?
    Just north of VG on the east side of the creek. One of my favorite sections of trail in the park.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So many of the trails at the wiss are getting too tame and it is nice to still see some good size rocks in the middle of the trail!
    sorry you feel that way but unfortunately much of the "gnarley" stuff in the park is completely unsustainable. the reality is that there just isn't the manpower to fix everything over and over and over again each time there's a bad storm. there's there's trail damage from 3 and 4 years ago that hasn't been fixed yet.

trails like the one pictured above are completely fine they way the are because the rocks are big enough and embedded in the ground enough that they aren't disrupted by storms. trails like the one by the indian head which was recently redone couldn't stay that way because of how loose everything was. hell i'd love to make the entire park like that picture, essentially a french creek close to home, but that's just not possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Because it is the best riding around!

I have been riding Wiss for about 5 years. It is hands down the best place to ride in the area! I think a better question would be why dont you ride the Wiss?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nickcapriotti
    I have been riding Wiss for about 5 years. It is hands down the best place to ride in the area! I think a better question would be why dont you ride the Wiss?

Well said.

-scoon

mtbr member
    Because there is not much else to ride if you live in the philly suburbs. Also, it is not bad. Won't ride on the weekends because of way too many people.

2000cx, what trail is that? Must be the angle but don't recognize the trail. So many of the trails at the wiss are getting too tame and it is nice to still see some good size rocks in the middle of the trail!
    There are some great places to ride in the suburbs. Marsh Creek and French creek (FC sports some of the best trails in PA, similar to the Wiss, just bigger and a bit more technical/rocky) to the west. To the south you have Fair Hill (SW), White clay and Brandywine (mostly fast twisty up and down woods trails with some technical and some more open fire roads)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I ride it becasue of the insane amount of hot girls running on the main path during the summer!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaballoLoco
    I ride it becasue of the insane amount of hot girls running on the main path during the summer!
    "Hoo-Ah!..."

-Al Pacino: Scent of a Woman

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    sorry you feel that way but unfortunately much of the "gnarley" stuff in the park is completely unsustainable. the reality is that there just isn't the manpower to fix everything over and over and over again each time there's a bad storm. there's there's trail damage from 3 and 4 years ago that hasn't been fixed yet.

trails like the one pictured above are completely fine they way the are because the rocks are big enough and embedded in the ground enough that they aren't disrupted by storms. trails like the one by the indian head which was recently redone couldn't stay that way because of how loose everything was. hell i'd love to make the entire park like that picture, essentially a french creek close to home, but that's just not possible.
    I agree that many of the trails are not sustainable in the "rough". I have been riding in the Wiss since 1991 and the riding has changed dramatically in these last 5 years. 1991-1996 was a great time to ride in the Wiss. It still is great but those were the days...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Bloggins
    I love the Wiss what other City has such an extensive trail system within the city limits? I love that I can get out of CC and feel like I'm nowhere near the city! Not to mention the trails keep getting better and better...
    What other city, well I'd put a friendly bet that Pittsburgh just may

It's great hearing some of your stories. It sounds like Wiss is to many of you what Frick Park is to me. We just moved within two blocks of it and it's paradise. Hope I can ride the Wiss sometime soon

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VWMTBScott
    What other city, well I'd put a friendly bet that Pittsburgh just may

It's great hearing some of your stories. It sounds like Wiss is to many of you what Frick Park is to me. We just moved within two blocks of it and it's paradise. Hope I can ride the Wiss sometime soon
    Hey there,

If you are in Blue Bell Hill, we're probably neighbors. Hit me up, if you ever want to ride.

-scoon

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, the Wiss is definately a classic place to ride. I go to school in the city, and I had no clue that the Wiss even existed. I was forced to ride the river bank. Then a friend took me out and I was blown away. How could an amazing MTB resourse be so close to the city? Great climbs and great single track, especially the stream crossing area and the hair pin turns just after.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    P.S. Maybe we can get a bunch of people together to do a ride?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scoon
    Hey there,

If you are in Blue Bell Hill, we're probably neighbors. Hit me up, if you ever want to ride.

-scoon
    Where is Blue Bell Hill; I'm sorry, we just moved into the neighborhood

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VWMTBScott
    Where is Blue Bell Hill; I'm sorry, we just moved into the neighborhood
    Around Park line Dr. and Walnut Lane.