mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Who builds good wheels near Wilkes-Barre

I am looking to get a new wheelset, but I have no idea about any of the bike shops around here (Wilkes-Barre). I've decided on all the hubs, spokes, rims and what I want. I don't feel comfortable building these myself otherwise I would. I plan on putting some a whole lot of miles on these wheel, so I want these to be built well. Sicklers and Main bike world are the two stores I've been in, but stepping into a place doesn't really tell you too much about how well they throw together some wheels. Anyone stand out as great?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Chriffer
    I am looking to get a new wheelset, but I have no idea about any of the bike shops around here (Wilkes-Barre). I've decided on all the hubs, spokes, rims and what I want. I don't feel comfortable building these myself otherwise I would. I plan on putting some a whole lot of miles on these wheel, so I want these to be built well. Sicklers and Main bike world are the two stores I've been in, but stepping into a place doesn't really tell you too much about how well they throw together some wheels. Anyone stand out as great?
    Around Town Bikes

Main Bike World

Wheel Speed (Chris Stine) foto@radiorum.microserve.com

Cedar Bike Scranton

3 "fiddy" for short
    How about Chad at Red Barn Bicycles in Hamilton, MT.??? Seriously!!! Give him a ring and you will be surprised. Great prices and a GREAT GUY.
    http://www.redbarnbicycles.com/

vegan cyclocross disco
    I 2nd the Around Town guys. Good shop.
    Full Disclosure:
    Sponsor: Team Awesome
    Job: Trek Store Columbus
    Organizer: capcitycross.com

blog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    How about Chad at Red Barn Bicycles in Hamilton, MT.??? Seriously!!! Give him a ring and you will be surprised. Great prices and a GREAT GUY.
    http://www.redbarnbicycles.com/
    I already have the one hub, so shipping it out to someone would be something I'd like to avoid. It would be nice to have a shop around here I can know and trust too.

mtbr member
    Have RIch from Around Town build you a set. He did my fixie wheels and they turned out great.

http://www.atownbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The boys at A-Town will do a fine job. Never a bad word to be heard about Tom and Rich.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Rich is out at the North American Handmade Bicycle Show! Call Tom!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    another choice is TS wheels in scranton... tim shean has been building wheels for at least 20 years or more.... he basically ran the old (now defunct) lackawanna bike club and was the director of the pocono century tour for quite a few years... has a small shop at his house in the hill section.... very knowlegeable