Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Who all is from Erie PA?

I've seen a couple posts about Erie, but was wondering who all were actually located in Erie...

I'm a transplant; I came to Erie in '89 to go to Gannon then started working in Erie and have been here ever since... I grew up in Kittanning about 45 miles NE of Pittsburgh.

-Josh

poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007
    Hey Josh i live in Erie. I am always looking for people to help build trails, and to ride with let me know. I have a couple of friends and we should be getting to work soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just actually moved from Erie to Pittsburgh after living in the Erie area all my life. I miss it so, but the career opportunities are few.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I moved to Erie from MI a couple years ago. I like Erie a lot, but have to say, I'm a little disappointed in the mtn bkg here. I've gone to the overland trail (by Sherman and Panama NY) and I've been to Asbury woods a few times but it's kinda short. Maybe I need to venture farther out....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    I moved to Erie from MI a couple years ago. I like Erie a lot, but have to say, I'm a little disappointed in the mtn bkg here. I've gone to the overland trail (by Sherman and Panama NY) and I've been to Asbury woods a few times but it's kinda short. Maybe I need to venture farther out....
    Well, Erie really isn't a mountain biking destination. I have alot of great memories of riding Asbury Woods after work. And there are alot of great trails across Millfair road that can make a ride much longer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, I know what you mean about opportunities being limited... I'm actually just getting back into the mtn side of biking... Went to the cusimano trail last year with a couple guys from work, but usually I take my bike down to Kittanning when we visit my family and play around down there... While home here in Erie I generally stick to road riding. The biggest problem for me is time; I travel a fair amount for work and have a 2-year old and a 11 month old so I usually end up riding in the dark after the kids are in bed!

-Josh

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jsarose
    Yeah, I know what you mean about opportunities being limited... I'm actually just getting back into the mtn side of biking... Went to the cusimano trail last year with a couple guys from work, but usually I take my bike down to Kittanning when we visit my family and play around down there... While home here in Erie I generally stick to road riding. The biggest problem for me is time; I travel a fair amount for work and have a 2-year old and a 11 month old so I usually end up riding in the dark after the kids are in bed!

-Josh
    Be careful road riding in Erie, Erie drivers are ignorant to the existence of bikers. I feel safer riding the streets of Pittsburgh than I did riding anywhere on the road in Erie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, some are, but I'm in harborcreek not actually in the city... I'm not a morning person, but that is the really nice thing about riding in the early am; there's practically NO one out.

My general experience is that if riding at dusk / dark with appropriate lighting most drivers actually give me a pretty generous berth when they pass...

Aside from my college years, I've never ridden in the city; it would probably be like riding at Presque Isle where the cagers totally ignore you and the trail is so packed with dogs and 4-wheel rental "bikes" that it's not even a possibility...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jsarose
    Yeah, some are, but I'm in harborcreek not actually in the city... I'm not a morning person, but that is the really nice thing about riding in the early am; there's practically NO one out.

My general experience is that if riding at dusk / dark with appropriate lighting most drivers actually give me a pretty generous berth when they pass...

Aside from my college years, I've never ridden in the city; it would probably be like riding at Presque Isle where the cagers totally ignore you and the trail is so packed with dogs and 4-wheel rental "bikes" that it's not even a possibility...
    That's cool, I was born and raised in North East, moved and lived the rest of my life in the City of Erie in 1998.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I was raised in Girard, Pa thats 20 mins west of Erie. I now live in Erie and have just gotten back in to biking again. I have been reading this forum for some time. I wanted to let you all know there are some really nice trails in Girard that ride along Elk Creek. The trails are about 3-4 miles and are some what technical. I haven't been out there in along time and the last I knew there are some parts of the trails mest up from a flood 2 years ago.
    The trails them self are also a hiking trail. Know one really nows about them. unless you fish. The other thing is There's no up keep on them to my knowledge. You can access them at the legion and ride them all the way to the lake. I don't know who owns all the land but I spent every summer on them when I was growing up no one ever said anything.
    My brother and I have been talking about going out to ride them for some time. I was planing on going out there this weekend weather willing. If anyone would like to join me I would be more them happy show you the trail. If I dont have time to go all the way out to Girard I was hoping to hit up Asbury.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeptree
    Hey guys, I was raised in Girard, Pa thats 20 mins west of Erie. I now live in Erie and have just gotten back in to biking again. I have been reading this forum for some time. I wanted to let you all know there are some really nice trails in Girard that ride along Elk Creek. The trails are about 3-4 miles and are some what technical. I haven't been out there in along time and the last I knew there are some parts of the trails mest up from a flood 2 years ago.
    The trails them self are also a hiking trail. Know one really nows about them. unless you fish. The other thing is There's no up keep on them to my knowledge. You can access them at the legion and ride them all the way to the lake. I don't know who owns all the land but I spent every summer on them when I was growing up no one ever said anything.
    My brother and I have been talking about going out to ride them for some time. I was planing on going out there this weekend weather willing. If anyone would like to join me I would be more them happy show you the trail. If I dont have time to go all the way out to Girard I was hoping to hit up Asbury.
    My friends own Four Creeks Bed and Breakfast in Girard and stay there quite often when we come home to Erie. I'll look you up next time I come home and we can ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am from Erie, I live about 5 minutes away from Asbury Woods.

I play hard to want
    I'm in Erie on the east side (about 20 min. from Asbury). Asbury is a great ride, but you have to venture off of the public part of the park. Despite the private property signs, none of the landowners I've run into have had a problem with mtb. They mainly don't want dirt bikes/atv's riding there.
    It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would have to agree that the Mountain biking in Erie has gotten less and less. I used to do a lot of it at Penn State Behrend, but they have expanded the Campus greatly and now the trails there are just ok and short. If you like good climbing there's still the main trail, just remember you have to go back down so it's not all work. Asbury is ok as well I haven't been across Milfair in a while, so by the sounds of the forum there still some extra trails to check out again. I got a 29er and looking to use it. Plus racoon rally is coming up at Alegheny State Park in NY and that's always fun.

I have to say the bike seen overall, road and mountain, would be better if the bike shops in Erie, technically Millcreek, would stop with competing by way of "our bikes are better then there bikes" and "we're cooler". Not saying this cause I work at the one in Edinboro, but I've been in the Erie scene for a long time and have noticed that the shops in Erie have ended up hurting themselves overall by doing this and furthermore just reduced cycling to nothing more than a sport that is about riding a popular brand and riding the popular expensive brand. This is suppose to be fun, adventurous and a lifestyle, not a cheesy high school clique.

I would also have to say that if the shops actually had employees that truly ride and race, that would be good for them. Since they don't, I think that's why, to me, they seem bitter and childish. Especially when there are riders that do a lot of riding and racing, but don't ride their bikes. I used to ride Trek's but got them in Pittsburgh, because the team I was on, none were in Erie, had a shop that was a Trek Dealer. So yeah they need to do a bit more, and it wouldn't cost them anything really, just be more positive and polite.

Despite this barrier and others, I really have to give credit to the PICC for doing what ever they can to keep cycling alive, despite knowing that things are getting worse. I always believed that if you wanted a big and great cycling community you have to help build it. Too bad the Erie shops are just in it for the money. Although to build that cycling community is a whole lot of work and dedication. So I see why they just rely on the brand to keep them in business. I know I'm doing what I can, and the rest of my teammates as well. and also my friends that I compete against and are on other teams. We don't let the whole being on another Team thing get in the way, and are a great example of cyclist coming together. The only thing your bike means to them, regardless or brand or cost, is just another way to Identify you and maybe strike up a good chat.

Try and keep things alive folks. Otherwise we my just exclude ourselves out cycling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ejprez
    I would have to agree that the Mountain biking in Erie has gotten less and less. I used to do a lot of it at Penn State Behrend, but they have expanded the Campus greatly and now the trails there are just ok and short. If you like good climbing there's still the main trail, just remember you have to go back down so it's not all work. Asbury is ok as well I haven't been across Milfair in a while, so by the sounds of the forum there still some extra trails to check out again. I got a 29er and looking to use it. Plus racoon rally is coming up at Alegheny State Park in NY and that's always fun.

I have to say the bike seen overall, road and mountain, would be better if the bike shops in Erie, technically Millcreek, would stop with competing by way of "our bikes are better then there bikes" and "we're cooler". Not saying this cause I work at the one in Edinboro, but I've been in the Erie scene for a long time and have noticed that the shops in Erie have ended up hurting themselves overall by doing this and furthermore just reduced cycling to nothing more than a sport that is about riding a popular brand and riding the popular expensive brand. This is suppose to be fun, adventurous and a lifestyle, not a cheesy high school clique.

I would also have to say that if the shops actually had employees that truly ride and race, that would be good for them. Since they don't, I think that's why, to me, they seem bitter and childish. Especially when there are riders that do a lot of riding and racing, but don't ride their bikes. I used to ride Trek's but got them in Pittsburgh, because the team I was on, none were in Erie, had a shop that was a Trek Dealer. So yeah they need to do a bit more, and it wouldn't cost them anything really, just be more positive and polite.

Despite this barrier and others, I really have to give credit to the PICC for doing what ever they can to keep cycling alive, despite knowing that things are getting worse. I always believed that if you wanted a big and great cycling community you have to help build it. Too bad the Erie shops are just in it for the money. Although to build that cycling community is a whole lot of work and dedication. So I see why they just rely on the brand to keep them in business. I know I'm doing what I can, and the rest of my teammates as well. and also my friends that I compete against and are on other teams. We don't let the whole being on another Team thing get in the way, and are a great example of cyclist coming together. The only thing your bike means to them, regardless or brand or cost, is just another way to Identify you and maybe strike up a good chat.

Try and keep things alive folks. Otherwise we my just exclude ourselves out cycling.
    I take offense at your feelings toward the bike shops in Erie.

Competitive Gear does alot for organizing community events, and I never felt the attitude you are describing at Adams on 12th street, either. You don't get a year or two free regular maintenance at bike shops in Pittsburgh like you do in Erie. I think the only bike shop that the others talk down about is Wheels. I've bought quite a few bikes from Gene at Wheels, but he knows very little about mountain bikes. He also doesn't make any deals on bikes, even if you have spent thousands of dollars, like I have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    OK, what events have they organized? Organizing events is so much more than donating some money or prizes, and having entry forms. Selfless riders such as Nate Larson, Jill Behm, Wrett Walker, Richard Sheasley, Jim Bowen, and Mike Marring, and many others in the "Stupid" cycling club all do what they can and actually put in man hours aside from their normal jobs and families. Can't forgot to leave out Ken Bastine, Dave Dennis, and Bob Dahl, there are more too. These Erie shops used to talk down and bad about the events PICC put on, making fun of them and the people putting them on particpating in them. Though they didn't mind selling the bikes for other people to do them.

I doubt you got to know the real side of the people you are standing up for, I hope you truly think they are worth it. However, if you're so offended feel free to travel out to Edinboro on Wednesday for the 6:00 ride to put my in my place if you feel I'm so wrong. Tuesdays I'm at the Peninsula at 6 as well. Try not to be too embarrassed when you're dropped by someone whose not on a very popular bike brand. I live in Erie but rarely at home, usually working and riding.

Pittsburgh is far different. The racers I go up against there have none of the arrogant personalities that some supposed racers/riders that are only a fraction as good as have. The same would go for the fellas in Ohio and Buffalo as well.

The only real contribution to building a cycling community that the Erie shops offer is if you want to bike, they'll sell you one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

You need to get your head outta ur ass

First off, the bike shops in Erie are pretty good, knowledgeable and friendly. You say they are just trying to make a sale, isn't that dump out in Edinboro doing the same. Are they not carrying a popular brand now, eg like Giant. Oh yeah, guess they need to make some sales now, so why not jump on the popular so called clique bike band wagon. You probably have no other life other then the shop you work at and race for, so you must trash all other shops in the area. It seems like your doing the trashing, not the other way around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Of course they are friendly. Well, looks like I touched a nerve, not surprised that was the response I would get, you must be a groupie. Good god, try not to cry about it, this is a discussion forum. Not like I'm calling you stupid or some other nasty name cause I disagree with you. I know you know who I am, pretty evident by my forum I.D. If you have any back bone you should confront me face to face at least to discuss things. Better yet get more involved with PICC.

Strange thing, what our little dump shop has that none of the Erie boys have is wins in races in and outside of Erie on shitty bikes, and close involvement in Erie area events. Yes, racing isn't everything, totally agree, I like cycling for commuting and joy riding as well. However at the same time the some guys have talked themselves up as if they were almost pro riders? When the fact is that none of them really do much but own bikes. I don't trash the shops that really are involved in the Erie cycling community and are open and honest, and dedicated to increasing cycling as a true lifestyle. Actually this is the most I ever said about any of the Erie shops. Although the funny thing is two of them are in New York State, so I always thought that was odd. The other odd thing many of the Erie riders are customers for the New York shops. They have lived here all their lives and travel 20-40 miles to another state for customer service, I mean gas is $4.00 a gallon. Which why I think cycling is great to combat that.

You did prove my point though, the dump comment furthermore shows that cycling to you is superficial, about brands, costs and cliques, which sparks some sort of jealousy I'm sure that people are fast without buying speed. I'm sure as hell not talking about myself, I'm just average. I guess that's why your comment is phrased the way it is. So feel free to keep responding, as you may know I have no other life than work and racing. It's pretty obvious by the length of this post. Also too much of life spent on volunteering to help put on events, as well as my friends, for your benefit and pleasure. Though you have a point, life shouldn't be about working, but unfortunately bills are meant to be paid. Actually by your interpretation the other real losers are the selfless folks in Erie that actully put on cycling events, ride, and maybe race, commute and want more people to be on bikes, whether they are 200 or $2000. I mean seriously, why bother. Life isn't about that stuff, right? Improving the lives of yourself and those around you, friend or foe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well at least you agree you ride shitty bikes, your words not mine. I actually ride for a shop in North east, close enough to Erie. I'm sure it is also one of the shops you like to trash, and yeah I have some wins this year as well. You talk that Erie riders are arrogant and think they are pros, not at all. I'm sure we all can't be like your little club down south there. I don't know who you are referring to talking themselves up as pros but I haven't had any of that experience. I know that your arrogant, and even somewhat rude during races and rides, must be the whole come confront me attitude, oh come race me blah blah blah. What cycling needs is less of people like you who trash shops and riders, either your jealous because we ride nice bikes as opposed to your shitty ones (your words) and thats why you have such a bad attitude. I actually respect Bob, as the owner of your store, maybe his employees should show respect to the other stores as well, and stop trashing what you obviously know nothing about. I'm sure I'll see you at some races, not all of us Erie boys suck as you say.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well that response didn't make sense. So what are these wins?? I find it hard to believe you ride for Dave Dennis's team, I know everyone on that team, so stop with the lying. Coulston , Pearson, Moose, Bowen and so on, too many to list, trying to keep this short for once. You obviously don't want me to know who you are, how brave. Sure like to talk though, me too, I love chatting with you. For someone whose profile says that they ride a Scott with XTR you sure supported your team shop very well. You are also a very bad reader.

I like Lake Country, again I mentioned that Ken Bastine and Dave Dennis are great people, them and the team have been friends of mine for a long time, look above again. They are a part of PICC, and are hard working by putting on the PICC series and the Harvest Classic, now a stage race. Ken if you see this, what the heck are the start times for the 3 stages? If you are on the team then you would know them and that one works at the shop and the other is the owner. Let me guess on your fancy Scott that you didn't get from your team shop, you got your butt handed to you at Raccoon Rally, assuming you did it. It was pretty dang muddy. Although Pearson was the only Lake Country dude at the XC race I know of, we chatted afterwards eating BBQ. So be a man at least and stop hiding behind false identities. I am arrogant, I have no problem telling you who I am. If you want my address let me know, I'm an open book. So if you're not about racing, why did you join that team? Assuming you really did.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thought so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by freehubb
    First off, the bike shops in Erie are pretty good, knowledgeable and friendly. You say they are just trying to make a sale, isn't that dump out in Edinboro doing the same.
    That's funny. I used to be store manager of the CVS in Edinboro. I went in to that shop in Edinboro once, and whoever was at the shop, seemed as though I was bothering him by stopping in. I remember the reason I stopped in was that I had a Redline Monocog single speed, and I believe Redlines website lists them as a distributor. I started talking single speeds, and the guy said he had never heard of anyone riding a single speed off road, and couldn't imagine why anyone would want to. This was circa summer of 2003
    Last edited by VWMTBScott; 07-05-2008 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ejprez
    I doubt you got to know the real side of the people you are standing up for, I hope you truly think they are worth it. However, if you're so offended feel free to travel out to Edinboro on Wednesday for the 6:00 ride to put my in my place if you feel I'm so wrong. Tuesdays I'm at the Peninsula at 6 as well. Try not to be too embarrassed when you're dropped by someone whose not on a very popular bike brand. I live in Erie but rarely at home, usually working and riding.
    I know one thing for sure, the employees of their shops don't post on the internet, saying that if you want to put me in my place, show up here or there. At least not by further identifying who they are and where they work. Talk about being unprofessional. It wasn't even a personal attack at you, I have just had some great experiences at Erie shops and wanted that to be known, and felt you unfairly portrayed Erie shops.

I know Pete and Jay personally at Competitive Gear, and have enough respect for them that I continue to give them business even though I now live in Pittsburgh. They have gone above and beyond for me customer service wise on a number of occasions. Not that I expect that from anyone, but they did, and I let everyone know that. They and Adams on W 12th Street are great too. I really miss having Frontier Bike Shop around, they were really the best. I used to hang out, if nothing else, at that shop all the time.

So as far as a business/customer relationship, I think I know Competitive Gear, Adams, and Wheels employees as well as any customer could. As long as they are respectful to me as a customer and remember that when Im treated well I tell a lot of people, that's all I care about. I could care less about how they act towards you, and if it's poorly, it seems as though you deserve it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Actually Frontier went down because the owner who lives in New Jersey couldn't find anyone to run it when Chuck left. He had a few guys afterwards, but then when Silkscreen bought it over it was pretty much done, At least they were actually a Team Sponsor for one of the last teams I was on. Unfortunately we had two bike shops sponsors at the time so I mostly went to the other one. 90/10 sort of deal. I really felt bad for that shop when they no longer could do the Romp in the park race, and the funny thing is it was a friend of the shop owner and a big patron of that shop that had a hand in shutting that race down. This guy was a real jerk and just down right thought Mountain biking was stupid, just because he couldn't do it. He is a good example of an Erie guy that talked himself up as a pro rider but didn't want to help improve the cycling community overall. If you never met him, be glad.

Well not sure what happened to you in 2003 at the shop, well before my time. So if a five year old complaint is a truth. I have over 10 years for the Erie shops, and lived here all my life. Those shops are not Erie, they are Millcreek, I'm from Erie, you know, the place that has not just White folks in the neighborhoods. And if you think my response is unprofessional that's fine too, we usually have a long chat over beer and pizza on these rides afterwards, and coincidentally are all members of the cycling club. The rides that are put on, the local races. Who do you think does those? However prank calling the shop over and over is just down right childish, I was off for the holiday weekend so you weren't bothering me any. Freehub must be your AKA because that ID was created two days ago.

I just know everytime the cycling club needed volunteers for events or trail clean ups, asked the shops, and they were jerks about it. Truth is they don't have to since their brands do the selling for them, but just thought it would benefit them as well. Didn't see them at the meeting when we wanted to try and preserve the trails at Penn State Behrend or Asbury woods, asked them, and it was "not their problem". If you lived here for as long as I have, then you would know they were a million times better than they are now.

People complain about the riding in Erie, road or mountain, but what exactly is anyone doing about it. The cycling club is constantly looking for more and more involvement. I know the ACA down in the Burgh area sure as hell isn't the way it is from people just wanting and doing nothing. Years ago my father and I were at the meeting about talking with EMTA about putting the bike racks on the buses, where were the local shops. Nowhere, The three shops that are 20 miles away from Erie were all there. Them, my dad and I have volunteered time to set up tents and whatever for events, taking photographs, and going to meetings, and more so. But I guess everyone is fine with the remaining trails turning into soccer fields, parking lots, and/or another strip plaza. If were lucky it could be another Wal-mart.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am curious, you talk so much about your shop doing a lot for cycling. What exactly do they do? Apart from the group ride that brings business to the store, do you put on any races, do you volunteer personally at races, or just race? In fact since I know who you are, I have never seen you volunteer at a race. I've seen you having a big mouth at races, just like here. Utterly unprofessional, if anything, you being a spokesperson for your shop would make people run, who would want to deal with you. You attack other shops, you really don't do anything to better the cycling community but complain that things are falling apart. It's like what the other guy said, if other riders are being rude to you, do you not think that it is because you deserve it, and you are treated by the way you treat other people. I really hope someone tips your shop owner off to your posts, they lack professionalism. As for the come race me, I already have, and beaten you, not just this year but last as well. So if thats all you have, then it isn't much. So maybe start doing more for cycling in Erie, then talking about it, stop talking about other stores and all the people who do nothing, stop calling people out to come race you since you are the fastest and apparently the best. Spend more time on your bike and less time on here. As for calling your store, I think you have quite an imagination for thinking I would stoop to your level of being unprofessional.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast