Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Who all is from Erie PA?

I've seen a couple posts about Erie, but was wondering who all were actually located in Erie...

I'm a transplant; I came to Erie in '89 to go to Gannon then started working in Erie and have been here ever since... I grew up in Kittanning about 45 miles NE of Pittsburgh.

-Josh

poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007
    Hey Josh i live in Erie. I am always looking for people to help build trails, and to ride with let me know. I have a couple of friends and we should be getting to work soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just actually moved from Erie to Pittsburgh after living in the Erie area all my life. I miss it so, but the career opportunities are few.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I moved to Erie from MI a couple years ago. I like Erie a lot, but have to say, I'm a little disappointed in the mtn bkg here. I've gone to the overland trail (by Sherman and Panama NY) and I've been to Asbury woods a few times but it's kinda short. Maybe I need to venture farther out....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    I moved to Erie from MI a couple years ago. I like Erie a lot, but have to say, I'm a little disappointed in the mtn bkg here. I've gone to the overland trail (by Sherman and Panama NY) and I've been to Asbury woods a few times but it's kinda short. Maybe I need to venture farther out....
    Well, Erie really isn't a mountain biking destination. I have alot of great memories of riding Asbury Woods after work. And there are alot of great trails across Millfair road that can make a ride much longer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, I know what you mean about opportunities being limited... I'm actually just getting back into the mtn side of biking... Went to the cusimano trail last year with a couple guys from work, but usually I take my bike down to Kittanning when we visit my family and play around down there... While home here in Erie I generally stick to road riding. The biggest problem for me is time; I travel a fair amount for work and have a 2-year old and a 11 month old so I usually end up riding in the dark after the kids are in bed!

-Josh

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jsarose
    Yeah, I know what you mean about opportunities being limited... I'm actually just getting back into the mtn side of biking... Went to the cusimano trail last year with a couple guys from work, but usually I take my bike down to Kittanning when we visit my family and play around down there... While home here in Erie I generally stick to road riding. The biggest problem for me is time; I travel a fair amount for work and have a 2-year old and a 11 month old so I usually end up riding in the dark after the kids are in bed!

-Josh
    Be careful road riding in Erie, Erie drivers are ignorant to the existence of bikers. I feel safer riding the streets of Pittsburgh than I did riding anywhere on the road in Erie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, some are, but I'm in harborcreek not actually in the city... I'm not a morning person, but that is the really nice thing about riding in the early am; there's practically NO one out.

My general experience is that if riding at dusk / dark with appropriate lighting most drivers actually give me a pretty generous berth when they pass...

Aside from my college years, I've never ridden in the city; it would probably be like riding at Presque Isle where the cagers totally ignore you and the trail is so packed with dogs and 4-wheel rental "bikes" that it's not even a possibility...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jsarose
    Yeah, some are, but I'm in harborcreek not actually in the city... I'm not a morning person, but that is the really nice thing about riding in the early am; there's practically NO one out.

My general experience is that if riding at dusk / dark with appropriate lighting most drivers actually give me a pretty generous berth when they pass...

Aside from my college years, I've never ridden in the city; it would probably be like riding at Presque Isle where the cagers totally ignore you and the trail is so packed with dogs and 4-wheel rental "bikes" that it's not even a possibility...
    That's cool, I was born and raised in North East, moved and lived the rest of my life in the City of Erie in 1998.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I was raised in Girard, Pa thats 20 mins west of Erie. I now live in Erie and have just gotten back in to biking again. I have been reading this forum for some time. I wanted to let you all know there are some really nice trails in Girard that ride along Elk Creek. The trails are about 3-4 miles and are some what technical. I haven't been out there in along time and the last I knew there are some parts of the trails mest up from a flood 2 years ago.
    The trails them self are also a hiking trail. Know one really nows about them. unless you fish. The other thing is There's no up keep on them to my knowledge. You can access them at the legion and ride them all the way to the lake. I don't know who owns all the land but I spent every summer on them when I was growing up no one ever said anything.
    My brother and I have been talking about going out to ride them for some time. I was planing on going out there this weekend weather willing. If anyone would like to join me I would be more them happy show you the trail. If I dont have time to go all the way out to Girard I was hoping to hit up Asbury.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeptree
    Hey guys, I was raised in Girard, Pa thats 20 mins west of Erie. I now live in Erie and have just gotten back in to biking again. I have been reading this forum for some time. I wanted to let you all know there are some really nice trails in Girard that ride along Elk Creek. The trails are about 3-4 miles and are some what technical. I haven't been out there in along time and the last I knew there are some parts of the trails mest up from a flood 2 years ago.
    The trails them self are also a hiking trail. Know one really nows about them. unless you fish. The other thing is There's no up keep on them to my knowledge. You can access them at the legion and ride them all the way to the lake. I don't know who owns all the land but I spent every summer on them when I was growing up no one ever said anything.
    My brother and I have been talking about going out to ride them for some time. I was planing on going out there this weekend weather willing. If anyone would like to join me I would be more them happy show you the trail. If I dont have time to go all the way out to Girard I was hoping to hit up Asbury.
    My friends own Four Creeks Bed and Breakfast in Girard and stay there quite often when we come home to Erie. I'll look you up next time I come home and we can ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am from Erie, I live about 5 minutes away from Asbury Woods.

I play hard to want
    I'm in Erie on the east side (about 20 min. from Asbury). Asbury is a great ride, but you have to venture off of the public part of the park. Despite the private property signs, none of the landowners I've run into have had a problem with mtb. They mainly don't want dirt bikes/atv's riding there.
    It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would have to agree that the Mountain biking in Erie has gotten less and less. I used to do a lot of it at Penn State Behrend, but they have expanded the Campus greatly and now the trails there are just ok and short. If you like good climbing there's still the main trail, just remember you have to go back down so it's not all work. Asbury is ok as well I haven't been across Milfair in a while, so by the sounds of the forum there still some extra trails to check out again. I got a 29er and looking to use it. Plus racoon rally is coming up at Alegheny State Park in NY and that's always fun.

I have to say the bike seen overall, road and mountain, would be better if the bike shops in Erie, technically Millcreek, would stop with competing by way of "our bikes are better then there bikes" and "we're cooler". Not saying this cause I work at the one in Edinboro, but I've been in the Erie scene for a long time and have noticed that the shops in Erie have ended up hurting themselves overall by doing this and furthermore just reduced cycling to nothing more than a sport that is about riding a popular brand and riding the popular expensive brand. This is suppose to be fun, adventurous and a lifestyle, not a cheesy high school clique.

I would also have to say that if the shops actually had employees that truly ride and race, that would be good for them. Since they don't, I think that's why, to me, they seem bitter and childish. Especially when there are riders that do a lot of riding and racing, but don't ride their bikes. I used to ride Trek's but got them in Pittsburgh, because the team I was on, none were in Erie, had a shop that was a Trek Dealer. So yeah they need to do a bit more, and it wouldn't cost them anything really, just be more positive and polite.

Despite this barrier and others, I really have to give credit to the PICC for doing what ever they can to keep cycling alive, despite knowing that things are getting worse. I always believed that if you wanted a big and great cycling community you have to help build it. Too bad the Erie shops are just in it for the money. Although to build that cycling community is a whole lot of work and dedication. So I see why they just rely on the brand to keep them in business. I know I'm doing what I can, and the rest of my teammates as well. and also my friends that I compete against and are on other teams. We don't let the whole being on another Team thing get in the way, and are a great example of cyclist coming together. The only thing your bike means to them, regardless or brand or cost, is just another way to Identify you and maybe strike up a good chat.

Try and keep things alive folks. Otherwise we my just exclude ourselves out cycling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ejprez
    I would have to agree that the Mountain biking in Erie has gotten less and less. I used to do a lot of it at Penn State Behrend, but they have expanded the Campus greatly and now the trails there are just ok and short. If you like good climbing there's still the main trail, just remember you have to go back down so it's not all work. Asbury is ok as well I haven't been across Milfair in a while, so by the sounds of the forum there still some extra trails to check out again. I got a 29er and looking to use it. Plus racoon rally is coming up at Alegheny State Park in NY and that's always fun.

I have to say the bike seen overall, road and mountain, would be better if the bike shops in Erie, technically Millcreek, would stop with competing by way of "our bikes are better then there bikes" and "we're cooler". Not saying this cause I work at the one in Edinboro, but I've been in the Erie scene for a long time and have noticed that the shops in Erie have ended up hurting themselves overall by doing this and furthermore just reduced cycling to nothing more than a sport that is about riding a popular brand and riding the popular expensive brand. This is suppose to be fun, adventurous and a lifestyle, not a cheesy high school clique.

I would also have to say that if the shops actually had employees that truly ride and race, that would be good for them. Since they don't, I think that's why, to me, they seem bitter and childish. Especially when there are riders that do a lot of riding and racing, but don't ride their bikes. I used to ride Trek's but got them in Pittsburgh, because the team I was on, none were in Erie, had a shop that was a Trek Dealer. So yeah they need to do a bit more, and it wouldn't cost them anything really, just be more positive and polite.

Despite this barrier and others, I really have to give credit to the PICC for doing what ever they can to keep cycling alive, despite knowing that things are getting worse. I always believed that if you wanted a big and great cycling community you have to help build it. Too bad the Erie shops are just in it for the money. Although to build that cycling community is a whole lot of work and dedication. So I see why they just rely on the brand to keep them in business. I know I'm doing what I can, and the rest of my teammates as well. and also my friends that I compete against and are on other teams. We don't let the whole being on another Team thing get in the way, and are a great example of cyclist coming together. The only thing your bike means to them, regardless or brand or cost, is just another way to Identify you and maybe strike up a good chat.

Try and keep things alive folks. Otherwise we my just exclude ourselves out cycling.
    I take offense at your feelings toward the bike shops in Erie.

Competitive Gear does alot for organizing community events, and I never felt the attitude you are describing at Adams on 12th street, either. You don't get a year or two free regular maintenance at bike shops in Pittsburgh like you do in Erie. I think the only bike shop that the others talk down about is Wheels. I've bought quite a few bikes from Gene at Wheels, but he knows very little about mountain bikes. He also doesn't make any deals on bikes, even if you have spent thousands of dollars, like I have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    OK, what events have they organized? Organizing events is so much more than donating some money or prizes, and having entry forms. Selfless riders such as Nate Larson, Jill Behm, Wrett Walker, Richard Sheasley, Jim Bowen, and Mike Marring, and many others in the "Stupid" cycling club all do what they can and actually put in man hours aside from their normal jobs and families. Can't forgot to leave out Ken Bastine, Dave Dennis, and Bob Dahl, there are more too. These Erie shops used to talk down and bad about the events PICC put on, making fun of them and the people putting them on particpating in them. Though they didn't mind selling the bikes for other people to do them.

I doubt you got to know the real side of the people you are standing up for, I hope you truly think they are worth it. However, if you're so offended feel free to travel out to Edinboro on Wednesday for the 6:00 ride to put my in my place if you feel I'm so wrong. Tuesdays I'm at the Peninsula at 6 as well. Try not to be too embarrassed when you're dropped by someone whose not on a very popular bike brand. I live in Erie but rarely at home, usually working and riding.

Pittsburgh is far different. The racers I go up against there have none of the arrogant personalities that some supposed racers/riders that are only a fraction as good as have. The same would go for the fellas in Ohio and Buffalo as well.

The only real contribution to building a cycling community that the Erie shops offer is if you want to bike, they'll sell you one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

You need to get your head outta ur ass

First off, the bike shops in Erie are pretty good, knowledgeable and friendly. You say they are just trying to make a sale, isn't that dump out in Edinboro doing the same. Are they not carrying a popular brand now, eg like Giant. Oh yeah, guess they need to make some sales now, so why not jump on the popular so called clique bike band wagon. You probably have no other life other then the shop you work at and race for, so you must trash all other shops in the area. It seems like your doing the trashing, not the other way around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Of course they are friendly. Well, looks like I touched a nerve, not surprised that was the response I would get, you must be a groupie. Good god, try not to cry about it, this is a discussion forum. Not like I'm calling you stupid or some other nasty name cause I disagree with you. I know you know who I am, pretty evident by my forum I.D. If you have any back bone you should confront me face to face at least to discuss things. Better yet get more involved with PICC.

Strange thing, what our little dump shop has that none of the Erie boys have is wins in races in and outside of Erie on ****ty bikes, and close involvement in Erie area events. Yes, racing isn't everything, totally agree, I like cycling for commuting and joy riding as well. However at the same time the some guys have talked themselves up as if they were almost pro riders? When the fact is that none of them really do much but own bikes. I don't trash the shops that really are involved in the Erie cycling community and are open and honest, and dedicated to increasing cycling as a true lifestyle. Actually this is the most I ever said about any of the Erie shops. Although the funny thing is two of them are in New York State, so I always thought that was odd. The other odd thing many of the Erie riders are customers for the New York shops. They have lived here all their lives and travel 20-40 miles to another state for customer service, I mean gas is $4.00 a gallon. Which why I think cycling is great to combat that.

You did prove my point though, the dump comment furthermore shows that cycling to you is superficial, about brands, costs and cliques, which sparks some sort of jealousy I'm sure that people are fast without buying speed. I'm sure as hell not talking about myself, I'm just average. I guess that's why your comment is phrased the way it is. So feel free to keep responding, as you may know I have no other life than work and racing. It's pretty obvious by the length of this post. Also too much of life spent on volunteering to help put on events, as well as my friends, for your benefit and pleasure. Though you have a point, life shouldn't be about working, but unfortunately bills are meant to be paid. Actually by your interpretation the other real losers are the selfless folks in Erie that actully put on cycling events, ride, and maybe race, commute and want more people to be on bikes, whether they are 200 or $2000. I mean seriously, why bother. Life isn't about that stuff, right? Improving the lives of yourself and those around you, friend or foe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well at least you agree you ride ****ty bikes, your words not mine. I actually ride for a shop in North east, close enough to Erie. I'm sure it is also one of the shops you like to trash, and yeah I have some wins this year as well. You talk that Erie riders are arrogant and think they are pros, not at all. I'm sure we all can't be like your little club down south there. I don't know who you are referring to talking themselves up as pros but I haven't had any of that experience. I know that your arrogant, and even somewhat rude during races and rides, must be the whole come confront me attitude, oh come race me blah blah blah. What cycling needs is less of people like you who trash shops and riders, either your jealous because we ride nice bikes as opposed to your ****ty ones (your words) and thats why you have such a bad attitude. I actually respect Bob, as the owner of your store, maybe his employees should show respect to the other stores as well, and stop trashing what you obviously know nothing about. I'm sure I'll see you at some races, not all of us Erie boys suck as you say.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well that response didn't make sense. So what are these wins?? I find it hard to believe you ride for Dave Dennis's team, I know everyone on that team, so stop with the lying. Coulston , Pearson, Moose, Bowen and so on, too many to list, trying to keep this short for once. You obviously don't want me to know who you are, how brave. Sure like to talk though, me too, I love chatting with you. For someone whose profile says that they ride a Scott with XTR you sure supported your team shop very well. You are also a very bad reader.

I like Lake Country, again I mentioned that Ken Bastine and Dave Dennis are great people, them and the team have been friends of mine for a long time, look above again. They are a part of PICC, and are hard working by putting on the PICC series and the Harvest Classic, now a stage race. Ken if you see this, what the heck are the start times for the 3 stages? If you are on the team then you would know them and that one works at the shop and the other is the owner. Let me guess on your fancy Scott that you didn't get from your team shop, you got your butt handed to you at Raccoon Rally, assuming you did it. It was pretty dang muddy. Although Pearson was the only Lake Country dude at the XC race I know of, we chatted afterwards eating BBQ. So be a man at least and stop hiding behind false identities. I am arrogant, I have no problem telling you who I am. If you want my address let me know, I'm an open book. So if you're not about racing, why did you join that team? Assuming you really did.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thought so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by freehubb
    First off, the bike shops in Erie are pretty good, knowledgeable and friendly. You say they are just trying to make a sale, isn't that dump out in Edinboro doing the same.
    That's funny. I used to be store manager of the CVS in Edinboro. I went in to that shop in Edinboro once, and whoever was at the shop, seemed as though I was bothering him by stopping in. I remember the reason I stopped in was that I had a Redline Monocog single speed, and I believe Redlines website lists them as a distributor. I started talking single speeds, and the guy said he had never heard of anyone riding a single speed off road, and couldn't imagine why anyone would want to. This was circa summer of 2003
    Last edited by VWMTBScott; 07-05-2008 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I doubt you got to know the real side of the people you are standing up for, I hope you truly think they are worth it. However, if you're so offended feel free to travel out to Edinboro on Wednesday for the 6:00 ride to put my in my place if you feel I'm so wrong. Tuesdays I'm at the Peninsula at 6 as well. Try not to be too embarrassed when you're dropped by someone whose not on a very popular bike brand. I live in Erie but rarely at home, usually working and riding.
    I know one thing for sure, the employees of their shops don't post on the internet, saying that if you want to put me in my place, show up here or there. At least not by further identifying who they are and where they work. Talk about being unprofessional. It wasn't even a personal attack at you, I have just had some great experiences at Erie shops and wanted that to be known, and felt you unfairly portrayed Erie shops.

I know Pete and Jay personally at Competitive Gear, and have enough respect for them that I continue to give them business even though I now live in Pittsburgh. They have gone above and beyond for me customer service wise on a number of occasions. Not that I expect that from anyone, but they did, and I let everyone know that. They and Adams on W 12th Street are great too. I really miss having Frontier Bike Shop around, they were really the best. I used to hang out, if nothing else, at that shop all the time.

So as far as a business/customer relationship, I think I know Competitive Gear, Adams, and Wheels employees as well as any customer could. As long as they are respectful to me as a customer and remember that when Im treated well I tell a lot of people, that's all I care about. I could care less about how they act towards you, and if it's poorly, it seems as though you deserve it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Actually Frontier went down because the owner who lives in New Jersey couldn't find anyone to run it when Chuck left. He had a few guys afterwards, but then when Silkscreen bought it over it was pretty much done, At least they were actually a Team Sponsor for one of the last teams I was on. Unfortunately we had two bike shops sponsors at the time so I mostly went to the other one. 90/10 sort of deal. I really felt bad for that shop when they no longer could do the Romp in the park race, and the funny thing is it was a friend of the shop owner and a big patron of that shop that had a hand in shutting that race down. This guy was a real jerk and just down right thought Mountain biking was stupid, just because he couldn't do it. He is a good example of an Erie guy that talked himself up as a pro rider but didn't want to help improve the cycling community overall. If you never met him, be glad.

Well not sure what happened to you in 2003 at the shop, well before my time. So if a five year old complaint is a truth. I have over 10 years for the Erie shops, and lived here all my life. Those shops are not Erie, they are Millcreek, I'm from Erie, you know, the place that has not just White folks in the neighborhoods. And if you think my response is unprofessional that's fine too, we usually have a long chat over beer and pizza on these rides afterwards, and coincidentally are all members of the cycling club. The rides that are put on, the local races. Who do you think does those? However prank calling the shop over and over is just down right childish, I was off for the holiday weekend so you weren't bothering me any. Freehub must be your AKA because that ID was created two days ago.

I just know everytime the cycling club needed volunteers for events or trail clean ups, asked the shops, and they were jerks about it. Truth is they don't have to since their brands do the selling for them, but just thought it would benefit them as well. Didn't see them at the meeting when we wanted to try and preserve the trails at Penn State Behrend or Asbury woods, asked them, and it was "not their problem". If you lived here for as long as I have, then you would know they were a million times better than they are now.

People complain about the riding in Erie, road or mountain, but what exactly is anyone doing about it. The cycling club is constantly looking for more and more involvement. I know the ACA down in the Burgh area sure as hell isn't the way it is from people just wanting and doing nothing. Years ago my father and I were at the meeting about talking with EMTA about putting the bike racks on the buses, where were the local shops. Nowhere, The three shops that are 20 miles away from Erie were all there. Them, my dad and I have volunteered time to set up tents and whatever for events, taking photographs, and going to meetings, and more so. But I guess everyone is fine with the remaining trails turning into soccer fields, parking lots, and/or another strip plaza. If were lucky it could be another Wal-mart.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am curious, you talk so much about your shop doing a lot for cycling. What exactly do they do? Apart from the group ride that brings business to the store, do you put on any races, do you volunteer personally at races, or just race? In fact since I know who you are, I have never seen you volunteer at a race. I've seen you having a big mouth at races, just like here. Utterly unprofessional, if anything, you being a spokesperson for your shop would make people run, who would want to deal with you. You attack other shops, you really don't do anything to better the cycling community but complain that things are falling apart. It's like what the other guy said, if other riders are being rude to you, do you not think that it is because you deserve it, and you are treated by the way you treat other people. I really hope someone tips your shop owner off to your posts, they lack professionalism. As for the come race me, I already have, and beaten you, not just this year but last as well. So if thats all you have, then it isn't much. So maybe start doing more for cycling in Erie, then talking about it, stop talking about other stores and all the people who do nothing, stop calling people out to come race you since you are the fastest and apparently the best. Spend more time on your bike and less time on here. As for calling your store, I think you have quite an imagination for thinking I would stoop to your level of being unprofessional.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Wow, still going on with more lying, Strange enough the Lake Country Boys all stopped at the shop the day after you last responded and said you were on that team. Also our shop put on the Tima Trial last month, and I did help set up as well..Also our shop is involved with the next TT coming up. Also the Edinboro Tri, Tamarack. We are a part of PICC like Lake Country who does the rest. Anything else is handled by Wynmba, ACA, MVC, BCC and I don't remember the Cleveland club name.

You definately never, ever beaten, me. I bet you're still trying to find someone's name to use that placed ahead of me. But I thought you said racing wasn't everything. In actuallity many of the racers in Erie, Pittsburgh, Ohio, and New York are all good friends with each other. So not sure what you mean by them being rude to me, we usually hang out afterwards. We do see each other about 3 times a month, ya know. The local guys I see more than that.

Still want to hide yourself, that's fine too, Probably scared, typical, all bark no bite. More like no bike. Though it seems your mouth is much more bigger than mine, which is common in cowards. More time on the bike, eh? I did 71 miles today so not sure how much more I should do. Hmmm, did three races last week, 2 were on the same day. You didn't beat me then since I'm friends with those guys as well. Too bad you underestimated how tight the community really is. Anyone reading your posts can clearly see how your trying to avoid identifying yourself. But feel free to continue to come out to our ride. Remember I know pretty much everyone on that ride too, so the next fake ID you want to use, make absolutely sure I don't know them. The best part, I making my post long on purpose so you have to waste time on it. Thanks again, you'be been so much help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I know your store actually does some good for riding, but you, yourself, what do you do. Everyone should do this and that for Erie cycling, yet as you have stated so many times, you live in Erie all your life, but don't do anything to support the town you live in. As for not identifying myself, absolutely. It's not about being a coward, it's about keeping the peace. Did ya ever think that you do know me, but I wouldn't come off as an ass in person, since it is a small community. Let's just say we know each other, but I can't stand you, neither can half of the other guys. We chit chat after races, are even friendly, but you are such an arrogant prick, that no one really likes you. Yes, you are indeed a very strong rider, but one with no class. You have a bad attitude, and your ride etiquette sucks. If I told you who I am that just causes tension, since there will be my group and your group etc. Not worth it just to soothe your curiosity. Small community, not worth fighting. But it is nice to get this off my chest and hopefully you will see that a lot of guys don't like you, or respect you, even though you have a good bit of talent. Maybe you can start to mature as a person, and stop acting like a two bit punk on a bike. This started with you trashing the hard work of other shops, then calling some guy to race you on what is supposed to be a friendly group ride. The guy wasn't attacking you, but letting you know the other shops do their part, and you took it as a personal assault. To keep the peace in our cycling community I haven't said anything to you, I just ignore you when I can. We may speak a few words here and there, you know idle chit chat, same with the guys on my team. I really hope you take this as constructive criticism, you don't make your team or your shop look too good. All arrogance and no class are not a good way to race and ride. Mature a little and you could be a great rider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes people should do this or that for Erie Cycling, I meant that for those who do nothing but complain about it. Well, if no one likes me they are free to stop talking to me, calling me and hanging out and such. So again not sure what you are talking about. Just trying to get away from indentifying yourself becuase you dug yourself in too deep, so yeah i bet you don't want to say. You're not on any of the local teams. Yeah I'm an arrogant prick yet no one has complained about it, just you, making more stuff up, cause your in love, perhaps. You can see the attitude change in your posts everytime I catch you in another lie, keep scrambling. You thought that I would have nothing in common with the Northeast shops, and caught you in that. You say you've beaten me, but anyone that's placed ahead of me and is from Erie, well there's only a handful of guys, Ciocc, Collins, Nivens, and myself. Not sure if Coulston lives in Erie. Asided from me, only one has a mountain bike, and it's not a Scott. Which was your other lie by the way. I know these guys and the others who supposedly can't stand me well enought to know that they could give a $hit about this forum. So I know that you don't know me or have ever talked to me, you just know of me. You can't even site anything "prickish" I said to you.

The truth is you're someone who spent a lot of money on a super, popular, bike and more on have the right clothing, helmet and power training eqiupment and still can not do better than someone, and others as well, who do not let the letters on their downtube determine what kind of rider or racer they are or can become. So with all the lies you told it's best to assume everything you say has been a lie. However if you want to continue this cowardly route, I'd be careful I can probably come up with better constructed lies than you, but really it'll just get ugly. You've been a great help. Thanks again, see ya Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What lies have I told, that I don't ride a Scott, well thats a given. Actually I haven't told any lies. You trash the cycling community you should be a part of, your arrogant, and you show a lack of respect to basically everyone around you. I don't ride a super popular brand, powertaps are good for training, but the real training comes from the hours spent on a bike. You sure you hang out with riders from other teams?, thats a lie. You are a good racer, but you get no respect from the other riders, because of the way you act. Bingo, on who I am. Sure we talk, chit chat, my team mates and you, but mostly behind your back. Hey, don't you even have a team mate or two that can't stand you. I'm going to put this to rest now. Stop bashing other teams, stores etc. It's not the prickish things you've said, it's your ignorance towards other stores, your lack of respect to other riders, your lack of race day etiquette, and of course your arrogance. Don't worry , I'll be sure to come say hi at the next big race.
    Last edited by freehubb; 07-08-2008 at 06:04 AM.

mtbr member
    WOW, {{{{{{{DRAMA}}}}}}} Maybe you guys don't have enough trails to ride, eh?

Went to school in Edinboro back in the day, moved out west and never looked back.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    WOW, {{{{{{{DRAMA}}}}}}}
    Yeah it really has become that.

Mr Free Hub, I PM'd Ejprez and told him who I was. I believe he thought your screen name was a second ID that I had created to harass him, which is ridiculous.

If you know Ejprez, and are friendly with him in person, but mouth off to him on the internet, you are a coward and hypocrite, plain and simple. If you have any further to say, to me or him, do it in PM.

Back on topic, I'll be in Erie either the 22 and 23rd, or the 23rd and 24th, so if anyone wants to meet up with me both days for a mid day ride at Asbury, let me know.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Just trying to get away from indentifying yourself becuase you dug yourself in too deep, so yeah i bet you don't want to say.
    Could you please identify yourself? I have no problem using my REAL name as my ID... I would think somebody who is so sure of themselves and their shop wouldn't mind revealing the IDs of both.

The reason I want to know is so that I can avoid your shop and you. You are a very unprofessional representative of the bicycle sales and racing communities.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by freehubb
    What lies have I told, that I don't ride a Scott, well thats a given. Actually I haven't told any lies. You trash the cycling community you should be a part of, your arrogant, and you show a lack of respect to basically everyone around you. I don't ride a super popular brand, powertaps are good for training, but the real training comes from the hours spent on a bike. You sure you hang out with riders from other teams?, thats a lie. You are a good racer, but you get no respect from the other riders, because of the way you act. Bingo, on who I am. Sure we talk, chit chat, my team mates and you, but mostly behind your back. Hey, don't you even have a team mate or two that can't stand you. I'm going to put this to rest now. Stop bashing other teams, stores etc. It's not the prickish things you've said, it's your ignorance towards other stores, your lack of respect to other riders, your lack of race day etiquette, and of course your arrogance. Don't worry , I'll be sure to come say hi at the next big race.
    Yeah still not sure what you're talking about. Your profile says you ride a scott with XTR, so again you probably haven't figured out how to change it. If the other Teams couldn't stand me, I don't know why they asked my to be on their teams before I joined this one. Especially LCB since they had a small amount of riders, and definately considered for that reason. HL already had a lot of talented riders, many from Erie, and despite being asked, so thought that wouldn't be fair. My team can easily vote me off if they choose.

I haven't trashed the cycling community and haven't done or been anything else you have said about me. You just keep coming up with broad and general things to say that aren't even specific in regards to this arrogance, lack of respect and so on, and keep repeating it. I could say and do the exact same things about you, and say anything I wanted to say, and more nasty, and hope it becomes fact as long as it's anonymously. In fact the things you say about me are most likely true about you, that's where you are getting your not very well thought out ideas, projecting. Maybe your mad that no one talks to you, and that no one can stand you, do nothing for the cycling community.

Not sure how I can believe what you say when I talk with other team guys constantly, not including my team, especially when they're contacting me in the first place. Even contacting me for input how to run rides and races. And if your teammates that you supposedly have done so, then what I said earlier is true. You like that cycling is a clique where people like to rag on each other.

Also the other gentleman is right, not enough trails to ride. Plenty of roads though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Interesting, has anyone taken the time to really converse and read what all is going on here, or do you just not care like me. Anywho, I agree that cycling in the Erie AREA, isn't what is used to be, which was Larger. Their has a been a decline. I actually see where both morons are coming from. Actually just the one, the other guys does keep harping the same stuff, we need examples, I have a bad imagination.

This is between you too fools. And what you both are doing is unprofessional. Next time when the one @$$ tells another @$$ to meet somewhere, do the civilized thing and say it's to fight. Don't do the barbaric thing and "race" each other. Actually you should meet to make Love then, that'll mend things. Doing things in the shadows is cowardly and unprofessional as well, and using this forum to do it, just email each other. YAAWWWN.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I haven't trashed the cycling community
    Oh no? How about this:

I have to say the bike seen overall, road and mountain, would be better if the bike shops in Erie, technically Millcreek, would stop with competing by way of "our bikes are better then there bikes" and "we're cooler".
    Or this (the only comment by this rider was that he had good relationships with area shops, he said NOTHING PERSONAL ABOUT YOU):

Try not to be too embarrassed when you're dropped by someone whose not on a very popular bike brand.
    Ok, want more? Here:

However at the same time the some guys have talked themselves up as if they were almost pro riders?
    in combination with this:

You definately never, ever beaten, me.
    You have no idea who this guy is, but at the same time you are positive that he's never beat you. While I agree without knowing who it is for sure, it very well may be true, it also sounds like you are totally full of yourself.

So:

If you want my address let me know, I'm an open book.
    I want your name. I'd like to forward this thread to the store owner where you work. Please post or PM me the information (Your name and the store name will do, I don't need an address).

[edit]

Oh my...

Try not to be too embarrassed when you're dropped by someone whose not on a very popular bike brand.
    So, doing a quick thread search, I see you work for Country Side Cycling.... What are these "sh!t" bikes that you carry, anyway? Is it the very well regarded boutique brand of "Salsa"? Or the WORLDS LARGEST BIKE MANUFACTURER "Giant"? I bet you wear those k-mart quality shoes called "Sidi", too, huh?

So tell me, Mr. "Open Book", what type of bike do you ride that is "not popular" or "sh!t"?

[edit #2]

Wow. Just.... Wow.

So this is your "sh!t" bike? A Salsa?

Chris King hubs? Pssh... where'd you get this junk? Wal-Mart?
    Last edited by RoyDean; 07-09-2008 at 05:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well don't know why you want to make this a three way, might be weird if we take the other guys suggestion and meet to make Love. If it will make things better I'm down, I just won't like it, you know liking women and all. I keep forgeting that sarcasm doesn't translate well on here, sounds better in my head, as with the other voices that tell me to do things. The $hiity bike comment was a sarcastic remark, I've gone up against people here who had nothing nice to say about other brand bikes unless it was one of the top three brands in the U.S. An oversight on my part, thinking that a couple of posters were like this. Though I'm convinced at least one is. Glad you like Salsa, but it is covered in $hit, actually mud, just too lazy too wash it.

Also the other guy talks about how fast and great he is as well. Also brought up how he can beat me first. I'm just responding to what he said. And I stand by that the Erie Shops don't do anything for the cycling community. Really just two, I have friends at Adams. I never said Erie guys suck, since I currently live in Erie, the city of Erie.

Well you know how to find us and me, so feel free to tell my boss. You did a lot of homework for the last post so what's a little more, but really you don't know where I'm coming from. Don't even know why you would even care.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well, again, I haven't lied to you about anything except maybe the bike I ride. And hypocrite, or coward aside, for not revealing my identity, maybe so. Just don't feel like real life drama at races and rides in a small community, and have my friends vs. his friends. So, even though I am friendly to Mr.Ejprez in real life, but really thinks he's an arrogant ass. Haven't you ever known someone you can't stand, but to keep the peace your cordial anyways. Until of course someone pointed me towards his posts about Erie bike stores. Thats right E, all of us from some certain shops are having a good laugh, you should just learn when to shut it. Wonder if Bob would like you saying that you ride ****ty bikes, sarcasm or not, I wouldn't put my shop in the position that you have put yours. Having a big mouth and posts like these will get out there, I know our shop wouldn't tolerate the bashing you've done. And as for saying I beat you in a race, sorry dude, I surely did. Figure it out. I rode against you when you were riding for UPMC, and Quick fill. What, you've never been beat before? I know to all those other people these posts must seem childish, but honestly, if you knew this guy, and raced against him, and could finally tell him what an ass he is, you'd take this opportunity as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok, when I was on UPMC and Kwick Fill, the same people that raced on my team then, and are from Erie, are on the same team with me know. So try another one. I'm guessing by my profile on the team page, you can clearly see my old teams. So it's easy to come up with another BS story. You just admitted to lying so everything else is just a lie as well. As for not being beat, I've had my @ss handed to me a number of times, I just know it wasn't by you. I am certain we have never met, but know of only of me, and since your loyalty lies with one shop, it is only natural that you come up with that lame stuff. If you wonder what Bob thinks, you to are feel to ask and tell him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Geez, your dense. I was saying I rode against you then, not on the same team, just like now, again not on the same team. To clarify, we have both raced in Erie for a number years, and it's not just this year I have raced you, or had to deal with you arrogant attitude. You've been an arrogant ass for as long as I can remember, even more so now. More so now because you work at a bike store, and you think that makes you the ****. It seems like it gives you the right to put others hard work down. Think what you want, I could care less, it was nice to tell you your an ass, a true classless prick on a bike. I am sure in the future at a race I won't be able to stand your mouthing off and I'll tell you where to go, like so many others would like, but they don't for the same reason I don't. We want to go to races and race, and not have to worry about a psycho like you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    OMFG, Dude, the best part of this whole forum is a least it shows that there is still some fire burning in this area and not dead. I was agreeing with ejprez, I do know where he's coming from. I owned a popular brand that rhymes with Shrek, good movie, all 3. The new one rhymes with My, My, My Sharona. There are people here like that, there is snobbery. I'm an Enthusiast, basically if a bike looks pretty, then I think it's awesome. There are knobs here that really get down on lesser known brands.

Roy, my boy, rhymes too, you shouldn't even be getting in on this. Like I'm one to talk, but at least I'm not directly speaking to either dude. So risking a 2nd fight on this thread. You took one guys side and then pretty much proved the other dudes point and now looks better, IMHO.
    1. I saw all your profiles, looks like, aside from me and about two others, everyone else is from out of town. So people not in Erie are more concerne, so now that's proven..
    2. If anyone is a fraction as smart as me, and I'm not that smart. I thought Taco Bell was a Mexican Phone Company. If they dig more they'll find credentials. I found that dudes team profile as well and saw results for Raccon Rally, he did 3 events, and took a 2nd, 3rd and 10th in Pro/Expert levels. That's pretty impressive. I did 24 miles of the mountain and was tired up until, well still tired, did a lot of walking. The guy he lost too was a Pro, according to the mumbling I listened to in a daze eating a burger while trying not to faint.
    3. The Clique thing is now proven since you took a side.
    4. You posted pics, so now we know he's not prissy with all that mud and that his bike is pretty freaking cool. I'm poor so I wish I had one, and by poor I mean have a significant other that would kill me.
    5. He easily could of posted pics and more, but you ended up helping him. I tried not to take sides, trying not to now, but is hard. He isn't wrong, but really I wanted to avoid any publicity for either guy. Like pics, so thanks for that.
    6. I was actually making my shadow remark to the other guy Freenubb. He seems just as, if not more, confident. Risking a 3rd fight on here, he does seem like he's full of it as well. I was also saying the Freenubb should give examples about ejprez that he was complaining about. So really not many here know what it's like in Erie. I'm not a doctor, but I watch HOUSE, kind of thing. Or Lawyer and Law and Order, or Cop and CSI. I watch a too much TV is what I'm getting at.

If I'm wrong you can meet me, anytime anywhere, and it'll be full on MAN LOVE so you better be READY PUNK!!! I 'm not into dudes, but I know dudes hate dude on dude action. Man I'm corny.

This thread is infectious, I don't even think I wrote a college essay that was this long.
    I lied I do care.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I thought racing wasn't everything, oh well, one more lie. Again, I know you weren't on any of the teams I was. I'm saying the only people at that time that were from Erie that placed ahead of me at that time, were on the team I was on. The only exception were some friends that raced and trained with me while on those teams. Anyone else was from Pittsburgh, OH, or Buffalo. As for mouthing off, I never talk in a race, no one does. You would know that if you actually have done any, it's not safe, it causes accidents. Talking only occurs about 5-15 minutes at the start, and then afterwards when everyone is changed and packed up. If you want me to shut up then quit posting lie after lie. If you find this funny, great, I'm glad you find me entertaining. For a second I thought you couldn't stand me. You say you talk to me, but you never have, otherwise you would have specifics in your complaints. Just sounding petty. I'm sorry your life hasn't turned out the way it has, I originally was talking about one issue, and now you had a temper tantrum and are going on about another. So far your help has been appreciated. Have a good night, sleep tight, you know the rest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Wow, you guys must work the same shift I do. How about this, if all three guys, ejpre, freenubb, and RoyDean, stop posting, I will to. This is becoming a total fiasco. Don't even post to say yes or no or to agree, just stop. Erie cycling is in trouble, that agreed, and there isn't much being done. OK, get it, got it, good it. I mean good. I'm getting some coffee, and won't post if any of you don't as well. Let everyone else have it. And then when my shift is over, I'm just going to look. LOOK, NOT POST. and if there is nothing from the 3 of ya's then I'm good too. It'll make me feel all squishy inside, or that's my stomach, may mix some peptol with the coffee, and then crumble a rolaid.

As JFK said, as not what you're country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country. Cycling or cycling community can be substituted for that. I have to admit, since this will be the last post, fingers crossed, I stole the shadow remark from Star Trek or Star Wars, can't remember exactly. Had to get that off my chest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Wait, Wait, Wait. Just one last thing, if you have to agree to my proposal, just message me privately if you have to speak. OK that's it for good, hoping.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAmel814
    1. I saw all your profiles, looks like, aside from me and about two others, everyone else is from out of town. So people not in Erie are more concerne, so now that's proven..
    I'm concerned that someone like Eric is "representing" the cycling community and doing more harm than good. It doesn't matter where I come from. More bike shops is a better thing. More variety. More options. More stock. More competition. Better. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    I found that dudes team profile as well and saw results for Raccon Rally, he did 3 events, and took a 2nd, 3rd and 10th in Pro/Expert levels. That's pretty impressive.
    Indeed. I don't see anybody disputing this fact. Michael Vick was a superb quarterback, but that doesn't mean he is a good person. OJ Simpson was a great running back, but again... uh, you know what I'm talking about. Now, please don't put Eric on the same level as these guys, but I think right now he's pretty comparable to Terrell Owens... Great talent, huge mouth.

3. The Clique thing is now proven since you took a side.
    My only "side" is that Eric is a loudmouth. For the record, I think this Freehub person is full of it, but I could care less. His postings have no bearing on what Eric is saying in general.

4. You posted pics, so now we know he's not prissy with all that mud and that his bike is pretty freaking cool. I'm poor so I wish I had one, and by poor I mean have a significant other that would kill me.
    5. He easily could of posted pics and more, but you ended up helping him. I tried not to take sides, trying not to now, but is hard. He isn't wrong, but really I wanted to avoid any publicity for either guy. Like pics, so thanks for that.
    Helping him what? His argument is that Erie bicycle stores suck, except for his. Him being fast on two wheels has nothing to do with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dude, I said message me, not post again on the forum. Since the silence truce is broke, and you like cherry picking for your quotes. Quote where he says Erie bike shops suck. I wasted a couple of hours of my life too reading this entire thread. He said Erie Bike Shops are not doing anything to Support the Erie Cycling Community. Then it looks like he said 2 of them were not and was friends with one. You don't like it when someone "has a big mouth". Who cares, he wasn't talking to you, and I saw your profile, you live in Pottstown. Isn't that 100 miles away, I'm pretty sure it is. I went hunting out there centuries ago. It almost seems like you were looking for a fight and jumped into this mess. I'm not trying to pick sides and say who's faster than who, but he isn't wrong about Erie Shops. J. @dams has the most involvment, the other two none. The one in Northeast as well and Edinboro are really involved as well. Refrain from posting their names, no more plugging.

Maybe this thread should be for people who really live in Erie, or maybe people who were born, raised, and still live in Erie. I know I'm stuck here for a long time.

Also, this may be a "No Duh" tip, if you're worried about Erie drivers, try waking up early. They are scarce when out on the road, especially at Presque Isle. And it's cooler, temperature I mean.

This shouldn't be a free pass for the other two to post again. Let's start this all over. Going to bed, When I wake up hopefully nothing shows up, unless it's anyone else posting some other thing.

mtbr member
    Just a thoughtÖ you guys are horrible representatives of the Western PA cycling community. Seriously, I take a look at this forum and NYSís every now and then to see whatís happening back in my old stomping groundsÖ to ponder the possibility of moving back east now that I have a family of my own, to be around more family. I check the forums to see if I could ever move back and deal with cycling in NY and PA. Judging by this thread the answer is a big fat NO.

I mean, look at some of your posts. Would you want to ride with anyone sounding like you all* do? I bet youíre all decent guys, and who knows or cares what level you ride at, I sure as hell donít, but damn. You make the WPA cycling community look like a bunch of clowns. If someone came onto the Colorado forums and started spouting off like that, well it wouldnít happen because there are so many fast riders out here both racing and riding big, backcountry rides simply for soul youíd get laughed at and then have your lunch eaten on your next ride.

Again, I donít know any of you so I donít have a dog in this fight but imagine how it looks from an outsiders point of view.

On a positive note, Iím riding tonight, from my backdoor, hitting a series of local trails (the Sourdough is but one stretch http://www.trailcentral.com/trail/tr...fo.php?trail=3 ) that are all above 8000 feet. Iíll be bringing at least* one Dales Pale Ale ( http://www.oskarblues.com/brew/ ) along so as I sit and ponder the Great Divide I can have a little liquid refreshment as well. I toast you all and wish you good riding, rock on Keystoners!
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It's really not that bad, I think this is more of an isolated incident, by the looks of it it's between two shop employees. I think this is ok, it may spur something better out of the ashes. They can out @-hole each other. Cool pic, I can see why one guy wants to remain hidden, looking at the pic that fella looks like he's 7 feet, that's a big bike. I would worry about getting eaten. Fee, Fii, Foo, Fum.

HA HA, I can post and say what ever I want.

How's this, "Monkeys are cool".

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAmel814
    Dude, I said message me, not post again on the forum. Since the silence truce is broke <snip>.
    Since when do you make the rules? And where did I agree to a silence truce?

Quote where he says Erie bike shops suck. I wasted a couple of hours of my life too reading this entire thread. He said Erie Bike Shops are not doing anything to Support the Erie Cycling Community
    I didn't quote that because it's called paraphrasing. I used the term "suck" instead of:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I would also have to say that if the shops actually had employees that truly ride and race, that would be good for them. Since they don't, I think that's why, to me, they seem bitter and childish.
    I doubt you got to know the real side of the people you are standing up for
    The only real contribution to building a cycling community that the Erie shops offer is if you want to bike, they'll sell you one.
    I just know everytime the cycling club needed volunteers for events or trail clean ups, asked the shops, and they were jerks about it.
    So, lets see. I used the term "suck". Eric used the terms "bitter", "childish", and "jerks".

Is a generalization of "suck" inapropriate to paraphrase for these single terms and other descriptions of competing bicycle stores?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey All! Since I started this thread just to get an idea of who all was local, can I just ask:

"Can't we all just get along"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelinCar86
    It's really not that bad, I think this is more of an isolated incident.

How's this, "Monkeys are cool".

I agree and by no means judge the entire community by a internet arguement. By the way, flying monkeys are waaay cooler than your average, run-of-the-mill monkey!!
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast