mtbr member
    Aug 2012

White Clay route suggestions

I want to do a father-son trip down to White Clay, were both upper intermediates and in fairly good shape. The trail map looks rather confusing with several different named trails. Can anyone give me a suggestion of a good route/ride here ?

Thanks very much

mtbr member
    I find it confusing as well. It's a network of trails rather than a loop. Until I got a loop burned into my head I always got lost. Actually, whenever I go to Middle Run by myself, I get lost. How old is your son? How many miles you looking to do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    He's 21, and I was thinking somewhere around 7-10 miles. Which of the trails that are listed on their site is the most interesting also ? Thanks again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
    He's 21, and I was thinking somewhere around 7-10 miles. Which of the trails that are listed on their site is the most interesting also ? Thanks again
    Well, interesting and easy to follow are counter each other here. Middle Run is a great area but it's even harder to know where you are. In all honesty, all of the trails are fast, flowy, fun. What I would recommend for the first few times out is to do Bryan's Field, Whitely Farms and David English trails, making 1 big loop. I believe it would be 10 miles. If you want more you can reverse direction, do certain trails again, etc. I can probably give you turn by turn directions for this tomorrow if you want. If you're on Strava you can see exactly what I'm talking about. I usually take my kids and my gf, who I'm teaching, on this ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    No strava (for now anyways) but with those trails listed I'm sure I can figure a route. Is there a directional preference at these trails ?

mtbr member
    I typically do those trails counterclockwise - David English is the only one I'd strongly recommend doing that way though (make a left when you come to the fork after crossing the road). The rollers on the way down are especially fun in that direction.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Looking at this map (for the counter clockwise suggestion) If I started at the park office would I want to make a right onto the trail ?, sorry just not familiar with the road your saying to turn left onto

http://www.kencox.net/pdf/wcc_middlerun_map.pdf

mtbr member

Re: White Clay route suggestions

I'm sorry should've said clockwise. Starting from the park office you'd want to go left.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    If you have a smart phone, I highly recommend an app called Maprika. MR/WCC map is available and you can track your progress during a ride. When on a new trail system it is great when you come to a fork or a T to decide which way to go and for overall navigation in general.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I prefer to do every loop clockwise. Though I have done them both ways and they are fun regardless of which direction you go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks very much guys, I was reading a few of the trail reports last night and some were saying do Bryans Field counter clockwise to get a good downhill, I think I might just try to hit several of them both ways.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I do Bryan's clockwise, Whitely clockwise and David English counter. Doing Bryans and Whitely this way cuts out a short section of Bryans but its still plenty.

mtbr member
    White Clay route suggestions-wc.jpg

mtbr member
    So that's the route I do if I'm there with my kids or girlfriend. I start at the Middle Run lot as it's free. Once you get to the tunnel that leads you to Bryans Field you should be fine. I can give you the turn by turns to get there if that's where you want to park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks again guys, do they have maps at the park or should I do a screen print of the one I've got ?

mtbr member
    lpranger, since I don't park at an official park lot, I don't know if they have them so, if you don't hear anything else, print one out. If you park at middle run, take the trail to the left of the big sign. Go over a bridge, climb for a bit. Take the first right you can. Short bridge, descent, another short bridge. Take the next right you can. You'll know you're in the right place if there's big bump at the start of that trail. Another bridge, take a left. GO THROUGH THE TUNNEL! When you come out on the other side of the trail you are at the southeast of Brian's Trail. For the life of me, I can't see how these directions work on White Clay's map but it always works for me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ok thanks, I did call the park and they do have maps. I think if I end up picking up the map at the office I will likely jump onto the David English trail and run that clockwise to Whitley then Bryans (so basically the route that you mapped out but just starting at the park office). Any thoughts on this route ?

Smarter Than He Looks
    Another option is to park at Henry's bikes and talk to a few locals before heading out. You might even be able to join a ride and get a guided tour. The shop is right at the Middle Run trail head.
    Home | Henry's Bikes

Also, check out this great PDF trail map: http://kencox.net/pdf/wcc_middlerun_map.pdf

Smarter Than He Looks
    You'll also get some more info if you post this in the Va/WVa/MD/DE forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Sinker, depending on my time frame I might end up going the Harry's route.

mtbr member
    Ok thanks, I did call the park and they do have maps. I think if I end up picking up the map at the office I will likely jump onto the David English trail and run that clockwise to Whitley then Bryans (so basically the route that you mapped out but just starting at the park office). Any thoughts on this route ?
    Well, you're going to have fun no matter what but I tend to think I do everything the must fun way possible. So, I think doing English clockwise is silly. Going counterclockwise gives you one steepish climb and then all fun and flow. Going the other way is exactly the opposite. Looks like you have some great options though so, good luck no matter what.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm certainly open to going counter clockwise, I had seen both ways suggested and was just winging it by going clockwise. should I do the other ones (Whitley & Bryan's) clockwise in your opinion ?

mtbr member
    I'm certainly open to going counter clockwise, I had seen both ways suggested and was just winging it by going clockwise. should I do the other ones (Whitley & Bryan's) clockwise in your opinion ?
    I do them clockwise, yes. Again, your fun is maximized.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Not to sound like a teenager but OMG what a great place, went today and ended up riding with some local guys. We hit David Enlish both clockwise and counter then at the end of the day came down the middle downhill section. We went over to Whitley, then Bryans thru a culvert (running stream) and over to Lenape then took a "un-named" route to Paper Mill Park. altogether we did roughly 17 miles according to one of the guys GPS.

I'll say that areas of Whitely & Lenape were my favorite, frankly the whole place is a freaking riot, I had a blast and can see why its so popular.