mtbr member

White Clay Creek

I plan on making the trek down to WCC on Saturday. If anyone wants to get lost with a total stranger. Now would be a good time.

mtbr member
    I wish I could; WCC is a fun ride. I'm probably going to Marsh Creek to stick close to home so I can get to the Victory Brew-B-Q. Enjoy!

LAD
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you have an iPhone or android phone, the "Maprika" app has the White Clay map. It will show the map on your phone and actually show your position right on the map. It's a cool app and it's free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    or in case your old school:

http://kencox.net/wcc_middlerun_map_2.4.1.pdf

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    White Clay totally rocks on a 29er hard tail !

mtbr member
    Awesome. I'm downloading it as we speak. Where is the best place to park?

mtbr member
    I've only parked at the park office lot off of Thompson Station Road, which by the way, has a $6 charge that goes towards park maint. I know there are other free lots around, but haven't found them yet. What time you heading down?

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to get there around 10

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fell_brook View Post
    Awesome. I'm downloading it as we speak. Where is the best place to park?
    park at the middle run lot (by the bird sactuary). it is in DE. parking is free in the DE lots. in the MD lots it will cost a few bucks.

mtbr member
    Friday after work I made the 45 minute drive over to Highrocks for a pre WCC ride. Sun shining not a cloud in the sky. I pull in, suit up, take the bike off the rack...BOOM thunder, lightening, poured rain for about a half hour. It was almost 7:30 at this point so I just pissfully bagged it.

I originally parked at the main entrance which I realized right off the bat wasn't going to work so, I drove over to the 9 foot road parking lot. Which was great, since I brought a lunch and a refill for my hydrationpak. I was able to do the one side, take a little break and do the other side. I tailed a few people every now and again but, usually broke off after a while. Everyone was super nice and helpful, too.

Here's some "kids" sizing up the Teeter Totters. I was the only one out of the group of 8 to nail it. The first time I might add... Also the oldest.

white clay creek fail - YouTube
    White Clay Creek - YouTube

I got a good 3+ hours in before a storm came through and I decided to call it quits. It was alot of fun and would like to go back sometime. I do see how people say it can get old after a while. I pretty much stayed in my hardest gear the whole time.

mtbr member
    Good stuff, I've only been down there twice and both times with a friend who knew the place well. I'll probably take the singlespeed down there the next time I go out.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    park at the middle run lot (by the bird sactuary). it is in DE. parking is free in the DE lots. in the MD lots it will cost a few bucks.
    White clay doesn't straddle DE and MD. You must be thinking of fair hill. At white clay the lots IN the park have a fee. But there are plenty of other options. Like the church next to the snow goose trail. IMO, it's so well maintained that I like to pay the fee. And if you happen to be short on small bills, and only put $3 or $4 in the envelope, the rangers won't ticket you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    White clay doesn't straddle DE and MD. You must be thinking of fair hill. At white clay the lots IN the park have a fee. But there are plenty of other options. Like the church next to the snow goose trail. IMO, it's so well maintained that I like to pay the fee. And if you happen to be short on small bills, and only put $3 or $4 in the envelope, the rangers won't ticket you.
    try it for yourself next time you go down. park at the big parking area right before the bird sanctuary (look it up on the map)... it is indeed in DE and is indeed free (or at least was when i last went there).

furthermore if it doesn't straddle the state line why does the "mason dixon trail" run through the middle of the park?

look at the park on google maps you'll see where the state lines run through it.

honestly not sure about DE vs MD / pay vs free but that is how it seemed to me when i have been there. every pay lot i've seen seemed to be associated with the MD park system.

and finally, for the record, i think fairhill is entirely in MD. sorry to be a stickler but i work with maps for a living...

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Put your glasses on There's like a 20 sq. ft. sliver off 896 thats in MD. And it's not even close to the side of the park where the riding trails are.

I understand the bird sanctuary is free. Because it's not part of the state park. They let park-goers park there out of their kindness. Same with pike creek bible church.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    your absolutely right! my bad. it is the PA/DE border. that you cross over several times.

see what working with maps for a living will get you...

but really the lot next to the bird sanctuary (not the lot of the bird sactuary itself) is a park lot i am pretty sure. they even have/had a cool wooden trail map there.

so i dunno, my theories are all shot to hell but seriously go park there if you want easy and free.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .