mtbr member

Where are yinz riding?

What's up Southwestern Pennsylvania?!

I just got a new mountain bike and I am ready to ride. So..

Lets talk favorite trails, city bombs, private backwood trails, whatever; if you ride it, I want to know about it and I'm sure others would as well.

Also, if anyone is interested in getting an organized group ride going sometime, SPEAK UP.

Peace.Love.Biking

p.s. Go Pens!
    .peace

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'll be riding Hartwood Acres after work tonight. Ride Boyce quite a bit.

I would recommend going to the PORC site to look for some organized rides. You'll learn a new place to ride in a few hours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If your anywhere near Indiana PA and are free on Friday mornings look me up. Lots of nice goodies in this area.

mtbr member
    I'm about 2 hours from Indiana, during this summer I'll take a drive up there one friday monring
    .peace

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    riding hartwood today.

PM sent get back to me if you want to go.

SBT
    mtbr member
    Pretty shelterd rider here: North Park (really close before work) and South Park (near where my girl lives)

I need to branch out. Hartwood is on the top of my list.

And yes, go Pens!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    South Park is good, as well as Frick Park, Frick is more difficult/advanced IMO. I have also heard good things about boyce park but I haven't been there yet. Hoping to make it to seven springs some time this summer.

mtbr member
    I have really been wanting to get out to Hartwood Acres and South Parkbut I have been stuck in Fayette County the last couple weeks. Riding backwoods here when it was dry was awesome but now its just mud.

But I just got a car so I am going to be following the http://www.porcmtbclub.org/ scheduled rides, try and make it out once in a while. So hopefully we'll all see each other sometime. enjoy the ride.
    .peace

mtbr member
    Congratulations on the new bike!

I have been ridding North Park again lately because of the new DR. J trail, there are miles of trails in NP but its great even if you dont know your way around.... just park by the pool or baseball field and its easy to find a couple real nice loops.

I also ride Frick a good amount, its real steep and I ride there from the Strip so for the most part I plan my ride to climb the double track and down the single track... great trails but really helps to know your way around a bit.

Hartwood is fun whith all the logs and features they have but gets pretty muddy on the double track from all the horses and traffic.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Western PA Mountain Biking Trails

There is a decent book called "Mountain Biking Pennsylvania" written by Rob Ginieczki. The first 15 or 16 rides in the book are all Western PA rides. The book then goes on to cover north and central PA and finally the eastern part of the state.

The book is well worth the 10 bucks or so from amazon. The western PA rides are pretty decent. Ranging from 5 miles to 20 or 30 mile rides.

For me, I love riding the Laurel highlands in Westmoreland and a little bit in Somerset county. The rides contain some real nice single track. Again, well worth the money for the book. The maps and descriptions are pretty acurate as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I need to branch out too, but I'm so spoiled having Frick Park in my back yard.

The White Jeff W
    I'm a short ride from Brady's Run so you'll usually find me there.

Check this out..

http://www.pennsylvaniadirt.com/
    No moss...

CTB
    mtbr member
    Hi, all! I grew up in Pittsburgh and moved away over 17 years ago. It sounds like Frick and North Park are the places to go. I'm looking for advanced XC, maybe *light* all-mountain, for when I come home to visit my family. Dr J sounds like it's more than I should try without a bike bigger than my 120mm XC machine and no armor, though the pictures I saw looked pretty cool.

Any more recommendations or comments? The guys at Pro Bikes by South Hills Village suggested North and Frick. I'd love to be able to get a ride in when I come back here. Thanks!

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    anywhere if you want shown around south park, frick or hartwood PM me.

I love getting lost at Boyce Park as well.

and lastly with in an hour of the city is some super fun riding as well like the Laurel Highlands, Apollo, Moraine, and Bavington.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the offer, Bushwacker! I may take you up on that in the future when I'm back visiting home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Second the Boyce fun. No huge climbs, some nice technical features and it should finally be all dried up.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I found some nice videos of Iron Gate (Frick) on Youtube. Frick's only about 30 min from my family's house - is Iron Gate as fun as it looks?