mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Where to stay for a weekend in Jim Thorpe

Me and a buddy of mine will be spending 4 days up in jim thorpe and we were thinking of renting a cabin or setting up a tent. I would like to stay as close to the trails as possible, and im wondering where is the best place to stay and what the costs would be involved? Also if you had any other info for us about trails or other things to do that would be great. Thanks in advance for any reply. -Jim

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by blk90gt
    Me and a buddy of mine will be spending 4 days up in jim thorpe and we were thinking of renting a cabin or setting up a tent. I would like to stay as close to the trails as possible, and im wondering where is the best place to stay and what the costs would be involved? Also if you had any other info for us about trails or other things to do that would be great. Thanks in advance for any reply. -Jim
    If you go the tent route:

http://www.carboncounty.com/park/camping.htm

Cabin availability is questionable. There are 12 (see 'cottages' link on the site above), but you have to book WELL in advance of your trip.

I've stayed here w/ a group of riders before:

http://www.lanternlodge.com

Clean rooms, reasonable rates, and the attached restaurant (Macaluso's - sp?) was surprisingly good - given it's location. It's within riding distance of most trails, provided you don't mind a bit of road riding (big climb up Broad Mt, for example).
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

my church is the woods

here is my pic

I've stayed here at http://www.jimthorpecamping.com/ almost every summer for the past 7 years. It's location is between the lake and town, right off the switchback rail-trail. Easy access to several great rides.
    And, this place allows alchohol and dogs, unlike the state park. I hear a lot of riders are going to be in JT for fathers day weekend when the MBW would have taken place.

mtbr member

Also try Mary's Guest House

If you are looking something a little more refined then camping try Mary's Guest House. It's a hostel type place right in town and owned by a mountain biker named Tom.
    http://www.marysjimthorpe.com/
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

disappointed with jim thorpe

Well we ended up staying at the Jim Thorpe campground. We were actually a little disappointed at what jim thorpe had to offer as far as the single track goes. It seems as though much of the riding has to be done on old fire roads, quad trails, and paved roads to make a loop with just a little single track. And while you are riding you have to check the map every few minutes to guess which way the trail goes sinced they are not marked. The trails we rode by the way were Bob's option, Broad mountain, and then we tried doing Drakes
    Creek but we had bad directions and got lost when the trail ended along the power lines.

It seems the area I'm from has alot more to offer( boyertown, greenlane area) with the likes of Green Lane park, French Creek state park, South Mountain, Evansburg state park and one of my new favs Sailsberry, i think it called near lehigh university.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by blk90gt
    Well we ended up staying at the Jim Thorpe campground. We were actually a little disappointed at what jim thorpe had to offer as far as the single track goes. It seems as though much of the riding has to be done on old fire roads, quad trails, and paved roads to make a loop with just a little single track. And while you are riding you have to check the map every few minutes to guess which way the trail goes sinced they are not marked. The trails we rode by the way were Bob's option, Broad mountain, and then we tried doing Drakes
    Creek but we had bad directions and got lost when the trail ended along the power lines.

It seems the area I'm from has alot more to offer( boyertown, greenlane area) with the likes of Green Lane park, French Creek state park, South Mountain, Evansburg state park and one of my new favs Sailsberry, i think it called near lehigh university.
    I understand where you're comming from. I use to go up to JT all the time. Some of the best singletrack is on broad mountain. But it's all closed. Just the loop fire road is open. I assume that's what you rode? Bob's option is fun. Just not a whole heck of a lot of single track.

I'm only 5 min from Green Lane. Where there is miles and miles of single track. Kinda makes it hard to justify the drive up to JT.

mtbr member

the moral of the story....

....support trail advocacy! JT still has tons of great singletrack, a lot of it just crosses private land or game lands and is thus not technically legal. This does not really effect the few local riders who know the beta, but it sucks for visitors who we can only direct to the "legal" trails which are not too fun for better riders. This just goes to show how important getting formal access agreements is and how if riders don't pitch in and fight for access you can lose it. Through the work of IMBA and others we may get SGL access back but it will require the support of other riders and not just complaints. I mean showing up for meetings and helping with TM. JT used to have a lot of trails for MTB riders compared to the rest of PA. but many other areas have improved or built new trails while JT has lost trails due to inaction. I agree that there are a lot of better places to ride right now if you don't really know the area.

To join the JTTC email your name, address and phone number to jttrails@hotmail.com
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/