mtbr member
    Nov 2013

where to ride in the wissahickon?

I grew up playing in the park in Germantown, often on foot, often on bike (never a mtb), before there were mtb permits or users.

I'm visiting right now... where should I ride? Last time I rode was probably 2 years ago, doing a loop counterclockwise from germantown to valley green and back on the high trail on both sides of the creek.

I hear things have changed since then (and I just read the thread about the lincoln drive trail, haven't been on that trail in 20 years), and I see on some maps lots of trails near Wise's mill road. Should I stick to the lower half of the park, or head upstream a bit to check those parts out, maybe as far as the NW city limit?

banned
    Apr 2009
    I think the lower ones (on the one side are for hikers??)--something like that??

but there is singletrack trail across Lincoln Drive (start up at the ONLY gas station you see there)--there is a top and bottom there at the start (I ride the bottom there)---the top does go over a point (you might NOT want to slip and fall over--it is pretty high up and not really meant for bikes I guess)-------I had hiked my bike there before..

Then after riding a bit (you can double back up that way for a nicer ride or double back at the very end---read on..)

So after riding a bit straight through you will come to this guys house (on the left)--he has a pool.. cross the street there you will come to (the street where the old police station was on)---head up at that point (that spot is crazy riding up or down--Most people cant do it there!!)----

then up that hill follow to the end (will be at the Manayunk bus stop)-----take a right and come back to THE WISS that way (up top)---you can also cross a bridge there below coming back onto the park...

But also I like the section at Chestnut Hill College (cross the bridge and make a right)---nice rocky section there (then stay left and ride through park that way)--- but I know the hikers frown on bikes coming that way..

--also up past the Inn (used to be called The 'Widowmaker there')--they tamed that section (guess bikers were falling there and getting hurt??)--

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    I think the lower ones (on the one side are for hikers??)--something like that??
    Yes, just heed the signage when on that side of the creek. (Pipeline and Indian)

But also I like the section at Chestnut Hill College (cross the bridge and make a right)---nice rocky section there (then stay left and ride through park that way)--- but I know the hikers frown on bikes coming that way..
    The trails on the western side of Bell's Mill are off limits to bikes. Definitely the ones that are on the Forbidden Drive side of the creek. The one that you are talking about, I have always assumed is off limits as well. Walked it a few times with my son, can't remember if I have seen any signage regarding it or not. Still, I don't ride it.

--also up past the Inn (used to be called The 'Widowmaker there')--they tamed that section (guess bikers were falling there and getting hurt??)--
    It was also called the Dumpster Trail, because before it was changed at the bottom, to make a dog leg right and spit you out onto Forbidden Drive facing east, it basically bombed towards the side/back of the Inn, where the dumpster was. Fun times. Was a very tough climb back then. Racing at Michuax forced me to overcome difficulty climbing through rock gardens, and at that point I started cleaning it. As far as I was concerened, that used to be the most difficult climb at Wiss.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I ended up riding from Mt Airy to Bells Mill on the upper trail. From Valley Green up was new to me on a bike--getting past the indian was a challenge with the best of mid-range 90's Specialized technology. (I had to walk a bit uphill, a suspension would have been nice. Going downhill my feet kept flying out of the powerstraps, I had no traction on the pedals). Crossed over and got a flat somewhere just before the main trail on the Roxborough side touches Forbidden Drive and had to bail from there.

If I'm back and short on time as usual, I don't think I'll bother with the section between bells mill and Wises Mill. Want to check out other areas.

I've ridden up from the trails on both sides of the inn. All I can remember is that the one about 1/2 mile north was brutally steep, don't remember the one up from the dumpsters. Haven't gone down either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    I ended up riding from Mt Airy to Bells Mill on the upper trail. From Valley Green up was new to me on a bike--getting past the indian was a challenge with the best of mid-range 90's Specialized technology. (I had to walk a bit uphill, a suspension would have been nice. Going downhill my feet kept flying out of the powerstraps, I had no traction on the pedals). Crossed over and got a flat somewhere just before the main trail on the Roxborough side touches Forbidden Drive and had to bail from there.
    Ah, don't count yourself out. That era technology is what we all learned to conquer Wiss on! And much of it was harder to ride back then. Keep at it friend.

If I'm back and short on time as usual, I don't think I'll bother with the section between bells mill and Wises Mill. Want to check out other areas.
    There's some descent trail to be had on the Roxborough/Andorra side between Bell's and Wise's. My feeling is you'll probably enjoy that whole side (from Bell's to Lincoln) the most. Where are you coming from?

I've ridden up from the trails on both sides of the inn. All I can remember is that the one about 1/2 mile north was brutally steep, don't remember the one up from the dumpsters. Haven't gone down either.
    I think you're talking about the one that has the 7 MPH sign at the bottom? That sits across from the Wise's Mill accessed parking lot? The Widowmaker/Dumpster trail is just to the other side of the Inn.