mtbr member

Where to ride near Reading?

I'll be in the area for the weekend visiting my in-laws and was wondering if someone could give me a little info on some decent riding areas within about 45 mins of the Reading area. In the reviews section, I saw Blue Marsh and some other Marsh name which seemed ok, but didn't see any recent reviews. I'm partial to flowing to mildly technical XC trail riding, but I'm open to all suggestions. Anybody want to fill me in on some local spots? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Blue Marsh

"I'm partial to flowing to mildly technical XC trail riding" That's a perfect description of Blue Marsh. It's a 30 mile marked trail around a man-made lake. Very easy to follow the trail markings, mostly smooth, slight rolling to rolling singletrack and fireroad with a couple of bigger hills. I typically ride clockwise from the main (not beach lot) where the mile markers on the trails start. Going clockwise, you could ride the trail as an out and back or go the whole distance. Please be aware that there's no food/water on the loop. Very nice riding.

The other close ride is French Creek but I would describe that as tecnhical, rocky riding. Lots of trails, bigger hills, rock gardens - the works.

The other "Marsh" is Marsh Creek. Not as close and not as good as the other two, IMHO.

mtbr member
    Blue Marsh for sure....I am looking to get out there tomorrow and Monday.

Fossil

Blue Marsh for sure

Blue Marsh is your trail. If you are doing a significant part of the trail, you might want to plan your ride so that you'll hit the Visitor Center at about 1/2-way so you can get water. Many riders will start at the Stilling Basin which is right near the VC but then they've got no way to get more water until they get back. I know, did that once!

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmiller
    Blue Marsh is your trail. If you are doing a significant part of the trail, you might want to plan your ride so that you'll hit the Visitor Center at about 1/2-way so you can get water. Many riders will start at the Stilling Basin which is right near the VC but then they've got no way to get more water until they get back. I know, did that once!
    I do the full loop that way all the time (i.e. Stilling Basin to Stilling Basin, clockwise around the lake). Just did it on monday, as a matter of fact. I carry a full 100 oz camelbak and ~ 1 qt bottle of gatorade. The only times when this doesn't seem to be enough are when I'm there with a larger group and do lots of stops along the way for everyone to re-group. I tend to drink more if I'm just standing around a lot. If I keep moving, I'm usually done in 4 hrs or less and, generally, have some water to spare.

Granted, starting from Church Rd gives you a refill spot +/- a few miles from mid-point and makes a lot of sense if you can't carry enough water with you. But, I guess I'm just a creature of habit, and I've almost always started from the basin. Well, that, and I like that the mile markers start and end there. Less mental math to figure out how far I've gone & how far I've got left to go!
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Mental math

Hi, I think riding should always be very logical and safe...It should be very proffessionally driven to avoid any unforeseen incidents...

cheers,
    suma valluru
    -----------------------------------------
    https://www.esumz.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I couldn't seem to get away from my desk on Friday and got home pretty late, so I ended up leaving the bike home. With all the positive feedback, I'm pretty excited to ride Blue Marsh next time I have a chance to get out there.