Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Where to ride around Philly?

I am new to mountain biking and am super excited for this snow to melt. I have been using my road bike to get around for a couple years and finally got a hardtail. Any recommendations on where to ride for a new guy? I am also out by French Creek quite a bit. If there was a previous thread on this i apologize. Thanks for your help!

Road Bike Review Member
    Wissahickon is the best. Pennypack has lots of tight, fun single track, but you have to explore a bit to find it. Neshaminy is also an option. Avoid Pennypack after a rain, as it doesn't drain well.
    Air Nine One Nine, and a few Cannondale....rip Salsa
    ...work is something I'm forced to do between riding and fishing

mtbr member
    Wissahickon, hands down best single track around!!
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, i am really excited to get going with this, as you can imagine. I live in Graduate Hospital, what is the best way to access these trails?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygui
    Thanks guys, i am really excited to get going with this, as you can imagine. I live in Graduate Hospital, what is the best way to access these trails?
    Wiss is easy to get to from the Schuylkill River trail (paved trail on the Kelly Drive side of the river). Good entrance point is near where the river trail joins Main St in Manayunk. Paved trail enters the park by the BBQ place across from the bus stop...

For more info: www.phillymtb.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Belmont

Riding from downtown up Kelly you can also cross on the Strawberry Mansion bridge (hike the stone steps and ride across) or the Falls Bridge (white metal bridge), ride through the tunnel, up the hill and take the first left. Singletrack is immediately on your left. Or ride to the top of the hill and hit the entrance at the top on the left. Trails stretch from there east back towards Mann Music Center area. Actually, thinking about it you could go up West River Drive, ride the pavement uphill towards the Mann and take the first right. It ends in a dirt road. This is the eastern side of Belmont. There's a ton of trails in there. More tight and twisty then Wiss, fewer rocks and smaller hills. There's a pirate race there every Thursday in the season.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of your help guys. Now I just need spring to come. I hope to see you around.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

By the way, does anyone have any secret street spots around center city that they like to mess around on? I am so anxious to get out and ride around I would take anything. I am a noob, so it doesnt have to be anything amazing! Graduate Hospital area would be best, but any tips would be great! Thanks for all your useful information. Greatly Appreciated!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    All this talk about Wiss bums me out... I haven't been there to ride it yet and have been hittin the mtb scene pretty hard for about 8 yrs now... I'm sure it rocks... French Creek is a worthy spot too... I have always loved that place... Pretty technical areas, fast flowy areas etc, etc... Good mix of it all... I'm always psyched to see new blood all pumped to get out there and ride... Enjoy it brotha... Welcome to the crew...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FNG
    All this talk about Wiss bums me out... I haven't been there to ride it yet and have been hittin the mtb scene pretty hard for about 8 yrs now... I'm sure it rocks... French Creek is a worthy spot too... I have always loved that place... Pretty technical areas, fast flowy areas etc, etc... Good mix of it all... I'm always psyched to see new blood all pumped to get out there and ride... Enjoy it brotha... Welcome to the crew...

Thanks for the response! I live in center city, and grew up literally in French Creek park. I am there every other weekend. Have very little MTB experience but have been riding around Greys Ferry looking for things to ride until the weather turns. Once I gain some experience I would love to go for a ride to embarrass myself in front of you guys.

don't tread on me
    Jun 2004
    Come on out to the march Philadelphia Mountain Bike Assoc. meeting Mon 3/3 at the Manyunk Diner 7pm. Meet other riders who will definitely show you around all the philly spots. Web - www.phillymtb.com

Karl

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Pgui... It's not a testosterone fest around me... I'm out to have a good time... Those who like to talk about how fast they are tend to NOT be the guys I ride with... I'd rather ride for hours at a mellow fun pace than 2 fast as hell... I'd hit up the Diner meeting with those guys... Best way to improve fast is to ride with others better than you... Nice thing is when you first start that is everyone!!!

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks guys, I will def try to make the meeting, but it depends on work. Do any of you ride in the city? Also, I have a hard tail KHS, with rear v brake only right now, waiting to buy avid bb5 or 7 for the front. Does anyone ride to the trails from the city or mostly drive and park? Dieseldog, thanks for the invite I will definitely try and make it. 1FNG, thanks for the help, thats the reason I dropped snowboarding, too much of a fashion show/circus (I lived in Utah). MTB seems like it is more low key, with everyone in it for the right reasons.

PMBA Beer Guy
    Don't forget about the Rally in the Valley scheduled for April 19 at Wissahickon Park. There is information posted on the phillymtb.com website and it will probably be discussed at the meeting on March 3 too.
    Board Member Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association (http://www.phillymtb.com)

Dinner for wolves
    Don't y'all forget the trails at Belmont.

mtbr member
    How do you get to the Belmont Trails buddhak?

Dinner for wolves
    Sorry for the delay...

I live in W. Philly...near the Dock Street Brewery (God is good). The way I get to the trails is by heading north on 48th St. and winding my way onto Belmont Ave (44th turns into Belmont at Girard Ave.). Take Belmont to Montgomery Drive (0.9 miles from Girard/Belmont intersection). Turn right on Montgomery and you will see a big field on a hillside ahead and to the left. There is parking lot and baseball diamond at the base of hill, alongside Montgomery drive. Behind the field there is a tree line. There is a large network of trails back behind that tree line. I tried to post screenshots of from Google Earth for you, but the files are too big. If you send me your email address at el_serge(at)yahoo(dot)com and I will email you the screen shots. A picture is worth a thousand words. Now the trails wind back some distance, and you can access them from several points. In fact, Montgomery drive t-bones into West River Drive, next to the old pump house building. You can park at one of the many lots along W. River Dr. and ride up to the trailhead. A word of warning, though: bring a patch kit and plenty of water. Many of the trails are designed to make the most of the limited space, and so they break your momentum. I sweat buckets back there. Also, broken glass is a common sight. Have fun!

mtbr member
    No trouble at all! Thanks so much for your informative response. I am planning on checking it out this weekend. Once I get some ride under my belt i would love to meet up and possibly be shown the ins and outs. I am really looking forward to riding some dirt, as I have been hitting up Drexel and Penn trying to get some riding practice in. Any spots on those campuses you ever frequent?

PMBA Beer Guy
    They are calling for rain this weekend, I would most likely stay off the trails until they dry out or freeze to help prevent any trail damage or erosion.
    Board Member Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association (http://www.phillymtb.com)

mtbr member
    Ah sorry, I should have specified...I am checking out the routes to the trails this weekend. I read about the rain. I wouldn't ride if it would damage the trails at all. I know how hard you guys and gals work to keep them up.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Thanks for the screen shots Buddhak, I actually rode there last night. I knew it was supposed to rain so i wanted to see how far away it was. Well I made some decisions and ended up in some bad neighborhoods, which made it an adventure! Oh course, I got to the park right as it got totally dark and I couldn't figure out where the trailheads were. Bring on daylight savings! But hopefully with your maps, I will be able to get on the right path, so to speak.

Dinner for wolves

Ride this weekend

Phillygui

If the weather cooperates this weekend, I might try to squeeze in my first ride of 2008. Sad but true. I'd be happy to show you how I get lost and punished at Belmont (or the Wiss for that matter). I suppose it all depends on how heavily it rains on Friday. Let me know if you are interested.

mtbr member
    That would be great. I dont know about this weekend though cause an old friend is in town. I actaully rode Belmont twice this week. Last night was awesome. I went with a local guy who is not on the forums and we had a great time. Will you be available at all next week?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Fun Thursday night rides at Wiss., meet at Valley Green 6:30pm, lights provided by Princeton-Tec boys. Missed last night but also ride days during the week at Wiss and Belmont occasionally

Dinner for wolves
    Maybe on Friday? Thanks for the invite, Phillygui. I wish I knew how to send a PM...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast