mtbr member
    May 2007

Where to go near SC PA for a week off? Edit: Dog friendly

I live in York, and bike tons around here (Michaux, Redman/Williams, Blue Marsh, Rocky Ridge, etc.). We are looking for a place to go for a week in Nov with the dogs, maybe rent an RV or something. We'd like to be able to bike for a few days, lots of trails instead of the same loop 50 times. Any ideas? Wouldn't really have to be in PA, but somewhere fairly close.
    Last edited by manowar669; 10-03-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Nepa

manowar669:

You could come to the NEPA area of Pa

Frances Slocum 5 miles of trails. camping
    Hubbard 12 miles and variuos loops amounting to more miles, Thursday night rides and weekends
    Lackawanna SP 21 miles, camping
    Prompton SP 16 miles
    Merli Sarnoski 12 miles
    7 Tubs 9 miles
    Muontain Top Area many Miles

My sugestion would be to camp at Lackawanna SP and hook up with either club Hubbard or NEPMTBA for directions and ride scheduling.
    Please check with camping in State parks to make sure they offer it this late in the season!

http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com
    contact Chris Stine, Lee Curry nepmtba@yahoo.com

http://www.hubbardbicycleclub.com
    contact Larry Fahn, aceman132@msn.com or
    John Graboski Mtnbiker18447@aol.com

Mountain Top Area
    contact Jeff jeffskismontana@verizon.net

All within 30 miles of each other.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just watch hunting season-
    turkey until Nov 17
    bear 17th-21st
    deer (archery) 15-24th
    deer (rifle) 26-Dec 8

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    you could head up to the State College area, we could hook you up with 3 or 4 days of good riding, camp at Greenwood furnace state park. you could also head down to west VA, heard good stuff about Slatyfork. if you want to go further Pisgah in NC would make for a great week

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    About 3hrs of driving will put you in Harrisonburg, VA.

Free camping in the GW and more trails than you can shake a stick at.....

banned
    Some great suggestions there. I would do state college and hook up with the folks from Nittanymba.org.

You can also do a great run in Prompton. Unfortunately, the places to stay there are gone, so you only have to go about 15 minutes further to carbondale and find the gravity inn, which is behind an industrial area. It's incredibly clean, however. I was surprised and it was fairly inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

State College

If I had a week to kill in PA I would set up shop in State college. There is more than enough great riding to keep you occupied for a long time. Consider a day trip to the Laurel Highlands. Two hours or so south west, and you cannoot miss riding Laurel Mountain, Quebec run and/or 7 springs.

State college is the king when it comes to shear volume of epic trails, but the Laurel highlands has some technical riding that is not to be missed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the options guys, I'll look into them. My biggest beef with State parks is the dog situation, since it's their vacation also, they don't want to be tied up. We've camped at Michaux in the state forrest (not in the park), and the dogs can run (and you can have BEER!). They're good dogs and stay close to us, usually within a few feet, and they don't make any noise. But if you tie them, they whine and they hate it. We're just looking for something like that, just another place. If we rented an RV, we could leave them in the RV on longer rides. They run alongside on shorter (sub 10-15 miles) rides.

banned
    Can they handle sharp rocks?

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    you could look into the bald eagle state forest, next to Rothrock up here outside state college. they have some pull off spots that should take a smaller rv i think. ive seen pop up trailers in them before anyways. obvioulsy no hook ups or showers at those though

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Can they handle sharp rocks?
    Oh yeah, it's actually asphalt that kills their pads. They'll run miles on natural trails, but a mile or two on the road, and they'll limp for a week. Makes you wonder if WE should be on roads.

I slightly edited my original post to emphasize the dog friendly option. We COULD get a dog sitter, but it's cool if they go with us.

Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    Just watch hunting season-
    turkey until Nov 17
    bear 17th-21st
    deer (archery) 15-24th
    deer (rifle) 26-Dec 8
    Yeah, I hunt, so I'm aware, but thanks. We and the dogs will be marked. I can't imagine what kind of idiot would mistake a biker or dog for a game animal. I've seen plenty while hunting, and never, for a second, thought a dog or bike was a game animal. However, "50% of everyone you will ever meet is below average". I've watched deer in a county park where I was bowhunting from a tree stand lie down as bikes passed, or they just froze until the bikes passed. Neither bikers nor deer ever knew I was there.
    Last edited by manowar669; 10-03-2007 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

SW PA pretty dog friendly IMHO

Laurel, 7 springs, Quebec are all pretty dog friendly. Just please respect others so those of us who ride regularly with our 4 legged friends do not lose the priviledge.