Gold Member

Where to do Mtbiking in Pittsburgh, PA

With Springbreak right around the corner and my poor student status, I am thinking of places to take day or multi-day trips to get in some mtbiking.

I'd be coming from Central Va.

I am considering Pittsburgh since I have a friend that lives there; but since he only moved there recently, he is still not aware of local trails.

What kind of weather should we expect?
    Trail conditions? Are there some to avoid if it's rained recently, etc?

Any info would be great.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    There is a TON of riding to do in and around Pittsburgh. Spring can be hit or miss from a mud standpoint. Your best bet would be to go to: http://www.porcmtbclub.org and check out all the posted rides as well as trail conditions. If trails are muddy, the urban riding in Pittsburgh is really fun! Lots of terrain to play on, especially around the schools. Come on up and ride!

mtbr member
    You might want to try Frick Park which is very close to downtown Pgh, Hartwood Acres, and Boyce Park are also good places to ride. If you want to get away from the city then try the Laurel Highlands area which is only about an hour from Pgh via the PA turnpike.

During early spring expect muddy conditions near Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas. The terrain in the Laurel Highlands is more rocky so mud usually isnt that big of a concern even right after rainfalls. Right now there is a good bit of snow in the Laurel Highlands, we'll need several weeks of warm temps to melt it all. If you ride the Laurel Highlands then try Laurel Mountain St. Park, Linn Runn St. Park, and Seven Springs Ski Resort.

What kind of weather can you expect? Expect it all. March is usually cold, windy, snowy, and muddy. April can be nice, but as the saying goes April showers bring May flowers, this is definately true around here. May is usually one of the best months of the year. May usually starts off being cool, around 60 or 70 degrees, by the end of the month it will start to really feel like summer with temps in the 80s.

Gold Member
    Thanks guys, I'll look into clubs forums.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675

mtbr member

pics

if you go to porc website check out the pics section and you can get a feel of what to expect. Pratt has a bunch of pics that are worth viewing. Didnt see moraine state park in the above mentions for trails. If you like really rocky trails that is your ticket to fun.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

mtbr member
    I'm on the PORC forums--feel free to send me a PM w/ any questions.

March has been insane for us. We started off the month with a -10 windchill, yet the forecast for tomorrow is 56

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    South Park is great for everyone !!!