Religion = Non-thinking

Where can i find a nice and wide mountain trail where i can take kids in PA?

I'm looking for a nice weekend event to bring the family which will include 5-8 adults and at least 2 kids under 10.

We will all have bikes that can handle hardpack trails only.

What i'm really looking for is a place thats not paved, where we can spend a day (4-6 day hours) biking and have lunch and hang out.

What would u guys recommend?
    Last edited by louisssss; 03-23-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Where in PA are you looking?

Religion = Non-thinking
    eastern part, the closer to NYC the better
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There's a trail near Jim Thorpe that follows the Lehigh River and adjacent RR tracks for 20 miles or so. I don't remember what it's called, but it's scenic, and easy riding.

Did you ever have ham?

Where can i find a nice and wide mountain trail where i can take kids in PA?

That is the Lehigh Gorge State Park that runs approx 20 miles from White Haven to Jim Thorpe. Here is the link:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...highgorge.aspx
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Religion = Non-thinking
    ^^ i think i may have been there some years back, i also did some white water rafting.

Are there any others that are similar to that?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    completely the opposite of where you're looking, but raystown's new trail system is great for all riders, one of the few places where the singletrack is wide enough and smooth enough for beginners as well.

aside from that, true "trails" in PA are usually pretty tough for beginners. try some fireroads or ATV trails first, they are everywhere in our inbred state.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Google up Delaware Canal state park or delaware Canal towpath.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    2 kids under 10 yrs. creates some limitations. You might want to look at the Thun trail in Berks County, or Valley Forge National Park. Or maybe the canal trail in the Lehigh Valley. That would be closest to NYC. You can get more details on bikevmb.com

Religion = Non-thinking
    you guys have been great! i've gotten 0 replies in the same thread i wrote in the NJ section. LOL looks like PA welcomes me better!
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    google D&L trail, on that site theres a map shows the canal path from above jim thorpe to close to philly and details the improvements, historical sites etc of each section
    without hops the world stops

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    you guys have been great! i've gotten 0 replies in the same thread i wrote in the NJ section. LOL looks like PA welcomes me better!
    It's just good that you posted here after the equinox. Nobody reads this forum during the bottom half of the year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You could Google up Delaware & Raritan Valley Towpath. it starts around New Brunswick,NJ (somewhere near Rutgers University & goes about 70 miles toward Pennsylvania. It is not real far from the TNJ train station (You could bring your bike on the train during off peak hours and ride to the trail. ) Bring plenty of lights on those towpath rides though. because your lights are THE lights out there. But on the Jersey towpath, it does come up into populated areas (stores) at some points. (I don't know yet about the PA towpath). Also you may need some of those surgeon's type facemasks at certain times to keep the knats out of nose and mouth as you ride. And glasses of course. And mosquito repellent. I't's not real bad, but just be prepared.
    Enjoy.---zarr
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Since nobody in NJ responded... I took my wife to Mercer County Park NJ to teach her to mountain bike. It's not all smooth and hard-packed, but it's about as easy as mountain biking gets and has a maze of ulta-smooth singletrack that is perfect for kids and beginners.
    Also plenty of picnic areas to hang out and there are also some good maps of the place on various web sites.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Rail trails

I'm looking for a nice weekend event to bring the family which will include 5-8 adults and at least 2 kids under 10.

We will all have bikes that can handle hardpack trails only.

What i'm really looking for is a place thats not paved, where we can spend a day (4-6 day hours) biking and have lunch and hang out.

What would u guys recommend?

Most rail trails are wide, not paved and suitable for beginners. Many are also very scenic. At http://www.traillink.com/home.aspx you can enter names by state and it will list trails and locations.

mtbr member
    Try the new PA trails website http://www.explorepatrails.com/

The D&L trail is in Luzerne county http://www.explorepatrails.com/trail...px?cny=Luzerne

Religion = Non-thinking
    I'm on my way to Pennsylvania right now and I'm trying to get to the trailhead of Jim Thorpe at white haven. Does anyone know where the exact address is? Ill be in Penn in 1.5 hours
    RH SL Pro

Did you ever have ham?

White Haven, PA

I'm on my way to Pennsylvania right now and I'm trying to get to the trailhead of Jim Thorpe at white haven. Does anyone know where the exact address is? Ill be in Penn in 1.5 hours
    Not sure of the address, but here are the coordinates from Google Earth
    41 3'32.54"N
    7546'19.45"W

Hope this helps!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!