mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Where can I demo a 29er in the Philly area?

So the thread name pretty much sums it up. Right now I'm riding a Rush, mainly around the Wissahickon, but I'd like to try out a 29er. I've never ridden one before, but I can understand how bigger wheels would help with momentum and rolling over roots and rocks. Seems like it would be perfect for the Wissa, especially on the Eastern side of the creek.

I'm also looking to simplify, possibly going rigid SS. I'm pretty busy and find it hard to keep my bike cleaned, tuned, and lubed for weekend rides. There is just too much going on with a FS geared bike. I started riding on a rigid steel Haro back when I was a teenager (rode in Wissa back then also) and I miss the control I had over the fully rigid bike. So anyway I would like to try out a 29er and if there's anywhere I can do this please let me know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Lehigh Valley area..

It's probably a little far - roughly 45 minutes from you. But you can demo a 29'er at South Mountain Cycles in Emmaus, PA 610-967-4490

They carry Kona - I think they have a Unit 29 (rigid SS) and the Kula 29 (geared HT)

There is also some really good trails about 5 minutes from the shop. If you come up on a Friday afternoon or Sunday I would be happy to show you around the area.

Hope this helps.

-matt

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I know Guys Bikes in Feasterville has a couple 29ers out in the show room. I'm not sure if you can demo them or not though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

fully rigid in Wiss

I've been riding a fully rigid SS in Wiss about once a week for the past two years. That, and the whuppin' I took at the Stoopid and Rattling Creek 50's convinced me to order a suspension fork. There's a lot to be said for riding rigid. If I lived in an area with less rocks and more smooth singletrack I would probably continue. However, PA is just too rocky for my rigid taste.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    stop by wissahickon cycles on germantown ave. they let me demo a 29"er last year. great guys at that shop.

in the getto
    Try Bicycle Therapy on South Street. Lee had an Orbea 29er he let me demo at Wiss. Nice ride , has me thinking about a 29er for next year.
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toe-knee
    Try Bicycle Therapy on South Street. Lee had an Orbea 29er he let me demo at Wiss. Nice ride , has me thinking about a 29er for next year.
    Sweet, that's what I'm looking for. I'll go check that out when I get the chance. Is that a hardtail you demoed?

in the getto
    Quote Originally Posted by squads
    Sweet, that's what I'm looking for. I'll go check that out when I get the chance. Is that a hardtail you demoed?
    Yes a hardtail. It was last years model that he let me and my friend demo,hopefully he still has it for you. It probably wont be out on display so you'll have to ask about it.
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite