mtbr member
    Aug 2013

What's up at Smedley Park?

Hi all,

New to MTB (but I've got thousands and thousands of road miles on my legs). I'm in Drexel Hill and I used to run the trails at Smedley into Swarthmore back before my son was born two years ago. Haven't really been back there since.

It's my understanding now that MTB is "legal" in the park and it looks like some trail work days were scheduled back in the late spring. Can anyone confirm that it's OK to ride there now? It's nice and close to home and I'd love to take the rig out there this weekend or next, but I don't want to cause any undue dismay. I did a search but didn't see anything too recent. I'd love to pitch in and help with trail work, too, if anyone knows who to reach out to.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    From what I understand it's ok.
    Post your question here for a more positive response.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/SEPTR/
    Ask me about Evansburg State Park
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    It's technically ok, but delco did go through over the winter and destroy all off the features in the pine ridge section of the trails. SEPTR did meet with the park admins since then, but it's not clear what the resolution was.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm in DH too. Are the Smedley trails any good? I would love to find a place close to home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Hopper View Post
    I'm in DH too. Are the Smedley trails any good? I would love to find a place close to home.
    FYI. Reached out to SEPTRMTB and Tim got back to me to let me know that MTB in Smedley has been legal for 15 years. They are currently working to rebuild (I think it's already done) the Pine Ridge section that was bulldozed. The county is fine with trail work there, but they do not want gap jumps. I think all the berms are back in place, though it's still a work in progress. Heading out Saturday to check it out.

And, Dung Hopper, it's definitely worth riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'll have to give it a try - maybe tonight. Thanks

I tried the trails behind Don Guanella last weekend. The area seemed better for bmx than mountain biking. I crashed at s stream crossing and got pretty beaten up. I'll be moving slowly this weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Rode a bit in Smedley to break in my new 29er. Had never ridden there, but logged lots and lots of trail running miles. Trail was a bit muddy at the entrance points from the previous night's thunderstorm so I walked quite a bit to avoid hurting the trails. The Pine Ridge section was in good shape and is coming along thanks to the trail work taking place there. Had a lot of fun. Forgot how technical and rooty it can be there.

Dung Hopper, definitely check it out. I think you can link up Don Guanella and Smedley with a little bit of time on the road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sounds good. I rode at Middle Run and White Clay Creek on Saturday and yeterday. Usually I don't get to ride both weekend days because I have small kids. I will give Smedley a try - probably tomorrow after work. I rarely ride during the week because the only place I know nearby is the paved loop at Ridley Creek State Park and that gets boring. This might be the solution. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I hear you on the small kid thing. If you only get out for something flat and easy, The Heinz Wildlife Refuge is way better than Ridley.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    billy - i'm from drexel hill, too. You should check out Haverford Reserve. I know that the OP was several months ago but I've found that Haverford Reserve has a decent amount of single track and it's close by.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I didn't know there were trails at Haverford Reserve. I'll have to check it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisquads View Post
    billy - i'm from drexel hill, too. You should check out Haverford Reserve. I know that the OP was several months ago but I've found that Haverford Reserve has a decent amount of single track and it's close by.
    Ride there all the time, actually! It's taken quite a beating this winter, though. The non-singletrack sections were in bad shape from pooling water and mulch that was quickly washed away. Nice to see they're adding more trails, too.

It's a easy ride over, which is nice. I usually ride down Burmont and hop on the paved trail that runs along the creek from Merry Place. Rumor is that Havertown might expand the paved section to link up to the reserve. Hope that happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billy_pilgrim View Post
    Ride there all the time, actually! It's taken quite a beating this winter, though. The non-singletrack sections were in bad shape from pooling water and mulch that was quickly washed away. Nice to see they're adding more trails, too.

It's a easy ride over, which is nice. I usually ride down Burmont and hop on the paved trail that runs along the creek from Merry Place. Rumor is that Havertown might expand the paved section to link up to the reserve. Hope that happens.
    Just left Smedley,
    It's a mess foot traffic was light and trails are really in bad shape, lots of snow and ice...

Swarthmore side was rideable.
    As soon as I got to smedley, whole different story...

mtbr member
    Been riding on it for awhile now. Mike at Cycle Sport in Media cut an awesome new trail that is sweet when you enter from pine ridge side. All in all there is a nice 5 mile loop that you can link up with other trails to make more or do two laps.
    Specialized Enduro Comp 650b
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyNiner View Post
    Been riding on it for awhile now. Mike at Cycle Sport in Media cut an awesome new trail that is sweet when you enter from pine ridge side. All in all there is a nice 5 mile loop that you can link up with other trails to make more or do two laps.
    Good to hear. I was at Smedley once and didn't care for it. Maybe it has gotten better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    @ Dung Hopper, Don't know if you remember but we chatted about 6 months ago; I'm finally moved to Media full time, if you feel like exploring Smedley at some point let me know, I saw the pine ridge entrance just the other day when I was driving around and meant to take a ride down there.

Lawrence

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
    @ Dung Hopper, Don't know if you remember but we chatted about 6 months ago; I'm finally moved to Media full time, if you feel like exploring Smedley at some point let me know, I saw the pine ridge entrance just the other day when I was driving around and meant to take a ride down there.

Lawrence
    You make it over there to check it out ?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I did, rode it earlier today (I also met Mike today at the shop by coincidence), I loved the place, and even more so because its so close to home. I'm gonna try to get back by there Thursday night when I guess a group of guys ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
    I did, rode it earlier today (I also met Mike today at the shop by coincidence), I loved the place, and even more so because its so close to home. I'm gonna try to get back by there Thursday night when I guess a group of guys ride.
    nice. It is a sweet little spot. What time do those guys ride it ? I've been going to the meetup ride that starts at 6.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I had heard 630, but sounds like its maybe the same ride