Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: debarkbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    27

    What's up with Jim Thorpe

    I went there this weekend and caught a very strange vibe. Went into Blue Mountain Sports to get a trail map and all they had was a $9 pamphlet. The bike store was empty, didn't even have a pair of bike shorts. The kid working there said the "scene is really bad" and they've turned into primarily a rental shop. I heard later that this was because they closed some trails but this can't be the only reason.

    The trails I rode were great. I did everything that I could find a map for on the internet, like Bob's Option, and the short trails off of Switchback. But the trails were empty, I only saw one other biker in 2 days!

    This is a nice place to ride but it seemed really dead. Anybody know what's going on??

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirt_merchant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    135
    I was there too this weekend and didn't see many changes from the way it's always been. Mountain biking to most people who come visit the town is renting a hybrid and catching the shuttle to the top and cruising down the gravity railroad. We had 8 people for our Philly MTB Assoc camping trip and we tore up some trails from Summit Hill all the way down to Jim Thorpe. Not sure what the exact name of this route is but it was great. We saw like 3 or 4 other riders, and that is about par for what I have ever seen. It's a real shame because those trails are great and so is everything else about the area. It really could be turned into an epic east coast riding mecca, but the lack of MTB friendly policies from the state are hurting the chances this will ever happen.
    bike = good

  3. #3
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,036

    Smile

    Your always welcome at Moon Lake Park:

    Travel a bit further north for some really great trails and a park who cares deeply about Mt Bikes and riders.

    http://ridingthemoon.blogspot.com

    See ya at the mOOn.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: debarkbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_merchant
    ... It really could be turned into an epic east coast riding mecca...
    That's what I thought it was I was picturing technical yet manicured trails, dropoffs through streams, dirt jumps, and lots of hardcore bikers... but there were mostly hikers!

    So if this wasn't Jim Thorpe, where is this within 2 hours of Philly?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirt_merchant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    135
    the moon looks awesome. We will definitely consider that for our next outing...
    bike = good

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GregC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    536
    My wife and I just spent 3 nights camping in Jim Thorpe (we live in NC and were passing through on our way back from Ithaca, NY) and had a similar impression. We had a great time...loved the camping at Mauch Chunk lake park and the town itself, but we were a little disappointed by the trails. I did find some technical riding on Mauch Chunk Ridge, but where the heck is the singletrack? I was expecting more, but after reading about how the hunters have banned riding singletrack on state game lands, I think I understand...it seems like every square inch of public land in PA is open for hunting, so that explains where the singletrack went! (I know I'm exaggerating a bit) ...combine that with some really weird laws regarding alcohol, and I was left scratching my head about the whole state of Pennsylvania (I just wanted to buy a damn 6 pack of beer!)...don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our time there, and it's a beautiful state, but you guys have some of the most arcane and stupid laws I have ever heard of...which is saying a lot since I'm from the South!

    We will check out Moon Lake park next time...that seems to be more of what we had in mind!

  7. #7
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,184

    Tell me about it....

    Quote Originally Posted by GregC
    My wife and I just spent 3 nights camping in Jim Thorpe (we live in NC and were passing through on our way back from Ithaca, NY) and had a similar impression. We had a great time...loved the camping at Mauch Chunk lake park and the town itself, but we were a little disappointed by the trails. I did find some technical riding on Mauch Chunk Ridge, but where the heck is the singletrack? I was expecting more, but after reading about how the hunters have banned riding singletrack on state game lands, I think I understand...it seems like every square inch of public land in PA is open for hunting, so that explains where the singletrack went! (I know I'm exaggerating a bit) ...combine that with some really weird laws regarding alcohol, and I was left scratching my head about the whole state of Pennsylvania (I just wanted to buy a damn 6 pack of beer!)...don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our time there, and it's a beautiful state, but you guys have some of the most arcane and stupid laws I have ever heard of...which is saying a lot since I'm from the South!

    We will check out Moon Lake park next time...that seems to be more of what we had in mind!

    Was a PA resident most of my life. It certainly has more than it's share of riduculous laws, rules, and regs. I moved next door to NY and it's been a very nice change.

  8. #8
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,036

    Good job!

    To all:

    Anyone coming to NEPA or the mOOn look us up. We do lot's of rides and have 3 state parks, 3 county parks and state forests to show you around in our area. Any of our members would be glad to do so!

    http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com

    http://ridingthemoon.blogspot.com

    http://francesslocumtrails.blogspot.com

    nepmtba@yahoo.com

    Everyone's welcome to ride with us!

    See ya at the mOOn

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    285
    Hook up with locals is the key,started early mornin at the lake,rode single track and double track all day,had beers and diner at Penn's Peak,had a nice buzz and ride back to the lake.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    95
    dude your avatar is sacrilege
    without hops the world stops

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    555
    Can you ride the moon after a rain?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    105
    I've been hearing these same issues for a while, and its kept me from visiting. I live 30 minutes south of philly and have always wanted to visit, though I've read a lot of negative feedback. Next weekend, however, I am joining my family in the poconos on a weekend getaway and was hoping to get a few solid hours in early saturday. What is the suggestion? Do I head out to Blue Mt. Sport and get a map, or am I better off riding the moon?

  13. #13
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,036
    Quote Originally Posted by sdarnall237
    I've been hearing these same issues for a while, and its kept me from visiting. I live 30 minutes south of philly and have always wanted to visit, though I've read a lot of negative feedback. Next weekend, however, I am joining my family in the poconos on a weekend getaway and was hoping to get a few solid hours in early saturday. What is the suggestion? Do I head out to Blue Mt. Sport and get a map, or am I better off riding the moon?
    Wow....... tough choice cause I love both! If you have been to JT and never to the mOOn then try the mOOn unless you have a specific JT ride you like to do.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Wow....... tough choice cause I love both! If you have been to JT and never to the mOOn then try the mOOn unless you have a specific JT ride you like to do.
    I've never been to JT. I have always been under the impression that it wasn't worth it. How far from the JT area is the moon?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jim Thorpe Trails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    184

    Organized rides in JT!

    First off, we will be having organized rides in JT for 3 weeks in October as part of the Fall Foliage weekends, sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce. Details are here: http://www.jimthorpe.org/bikerides.htm
    I will be leading advanced riders on Twin Peaks at 2pm on both Saturday and Sunday. Liz will be leading beginner rides at the same time. As for the other issues regarding Jim Thorpe trails please see our site below, or look at where this horse has been beat to death here on MTBR: Jim Thorpe

    There will be no advanced ride on the 12th, I'll be off at Iron Cross
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

  16. #16
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,036
    Quote Originally Posted by sdarnall237
    I've never been to JT. I have always been under the impression that it wasn't worth it. How far from the JT area is the moon?
    mOOn Lake park is about 50 miles from JT

    There both worth it!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    105
    I am heading out to JT on Sat and will be there by 10 ish. I usually ride alone but would love a tour or at least a few suggestions on where to start. I am a bit confused by the maps I've seen, their are too many options. It looks like riding alone for my first ride there could get me lost. If anyone is in the area at this time PM me if you don't mind showing me around. I was thinking the Twin Peaks trail, but again, any suggestions would help.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jim Thorpe Trails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    184

    download a map from our site

    I won't be able to do a 10am ride. I would recommend downloading the Twin Peaks map here: http://jttrails.wordpress.com/maps/ You shouldn't have much of a problem following it. I rode it on Monday night and it is all in good shape. A little brushy on the powerline descent. Enjoy!
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Plains Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    334
    I was always a fan of the Switchback trail...love the view from on top of the mountain, especially this time of year...hated going "UP" the "Wagon Road" however!!

    Kevin
    WVMTBA

  20. #20
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thorpe Trails
    I won't be able to do a 10am ride. I would recommend downloading the Twin Peaks map here: http://jttrails.wordpress.com/maps/ You shouldn't have much of a problem following it. I rode it on Monday night and it is all in good shape. A little brushy on the powerline descent. Enjoy!
    Lath:

    I'm heading to the Pa MTB Summit in the future I don't know if your attending, one of our NEPMTBA-PARTS members is a DCNR official. Please PM or email nepmtba@yahoo.com with any info you might want me to expand on at the meeting. This is our second meeting and I already mentioned the JT issue at the first one, so I intend to follow up on this matter. Let's get JT open again!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    105
    My first time at JT proved eventful. What a beautiful place! I started on The Switchback Trail to Flagstaff and then to Bob's option. From there I went up Pisgah to have a look around. The overlook was breathtaking! Has anyone explored the atv trails back there? I did for a while but was afraid of getting way too lost for the time alotted. There seems to be may spur trails up there and on the way back down. I did a few. On may way back down the rocky path from the overlook, I must have snapped my chainstay in half! I didn't realize it until I got back to my car either. I ride a Gary Fisher Supercal 29 and supposedly its a rather common thing. I'm sorta pissed since I have a race next week.

    All in all, I was overcome by the beauty. The trails were fun. I am really curious as to what anyone can tell me about the ATV and spur trails on Pisgah.

    P.S The steep ride down the hill was crazy, I thought my rotors would melt.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jim Thorpe Trails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    184

    glad you enjoyed it!

    Sounds like you had a good ride, sorry about the bike. There are many good double and singletrack trails on Pisgah, sadly they are all technically on private property, mostly old mining land. Not that ATV's motos and MTB'er don't use them anyway. We just can't promote them. It sounds like you can down the "Wagon Road" which is really torn up by ATV's, the "Indian Path" is a better option coming down, it's what's on my maps, I put the Wagon Road in as an option.
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    105
    I really had a great time. the pisgah trails at the summit were the highlight. I tried to follow your map, but the single track that wasn't mapped caught my imagionation and I had to explore. When I saw Wagon Road I thought... "Why Not?". Halfway down, I was regretting my choice.

    I've got to get back there and do some more riding as soon as my bike frame comes back. Maybe by mid November.

    The ride back down from the overlook was wild. I feel like it conquered me on this ride. I had to stop a few times to catch my breath. Also, The ***** destroyed my bike! I have a score to settle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •