mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! what's happening at Pennypack?

I was at Pennypack today, very nice by the way. I entered on Verree road and headed towards Pine Road. I made my first left off the paved path right after you go under the Verree rd bridge into that short climb right before the bathrooms. At the top of that climb, I usually make another sharp left and that leads to some fun twisty single track. ITS CLOSED!!!!!!!! CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!! CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, just a small section of it its closed, but why? I know as a matter of fact that it is not trail maintenance. I think there is some construction going on. It looks that they had a bulldozer plowing stuff around and there are construction markers in there now. I hope they dont build anything in there. I thought those lands were protected. Unless that portion of the trail violates the park boundaries or something, but I dont think so.
    anyone knows wassapenning?

mtbr member
    I was there on Tuesday @ 81 degrees. I may have missed the section you speak of, but didn't see anything like that. So, you got me.... I have no idea what they are doing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Wow, that sucks! I love that section of singletrack.

It is really hard to know exactly where the "park" boundry is because properties bordering the park may actually own what we though was "the park". That sounds like what it is. There is some type of institutional facility outside the park in that section so maybe they own it and are now expanding in some way.

I'm going to ride there today so maybe I'll have some more info later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yes, you are right. There is a church that also has a nursing home, and also there is some sort of behavioral facility.
    What ever it is, it looks like construction, because there is a bulldozer out there and there are markers all over the place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well after riding by this section yesterday I would guess that is has something to do with the park as it is right next to the entrance and pretty far away from the facility further up the hill. Possibly a new environmental center? Or even a new parking lot?

Thankfully it is a pretty small area though.

Conditions were GREAT! yesterday, I wish I had time off during the week to ride more this week.

BTW, I want to run into that horse chic that TrekMike encountered so I need to go there as often as possible

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You are right. Its only a very short section, and I am sure that people will create a new trail that connects to the existing trail. I rode it backwards on friday, and it seems that they only closed about 50 to 60 meters at the most. I just got concerned for a second. I dont want them to start building houses and stuff and close trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Allright...So, I was out at Pennypack yesterday and they opened a new section that goes around the section that they closed last week. So all the trails are connecting again. I guess the problem is solved. I just wish to know what is going on over there. They have markers all over the place. They even have markers on the trailhead that goes up behing the bathrooms. I hope they dont close that up.
    I will let you guys know if I find out anything.